• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

200 foot barrier after 5 years of drills

timothy42b

Eagle Member
I can consistently throw Aviars 160 and Leopards 180. I've done every drill from sw22, hub, and rhannon.

For the past year I've been working one leg, drills and on the course. Effort is less but distance stable.

One leg drillbe/

One leg weight shift:

One leg plus step:

be

So, what next? Oh, and I've done endless closed shoulder drills, I must not understand them.

I'm not really one to critique or give advice but that looks like maybe a lot of nose up angle. Throwing with the nose up is like driving a car with the parking brake on.

Maybe focus some on your grip and wrist angle and focus on coming through flatter on your pull through?

Yes, nose up is a problem I've struggled with. I know getting to the front leg is supposed to help with that but my most forward shots still are often nose up. The occasional flat shot gets me an immediate bump in distance. I tried the Brad Walker drill for nose down but seem to have not understood it.

I have two relatives who played with me over Christmas who threw pretty far despite zero pivot or weight transfer, I think because they ended up nose down. One of them had no sports experience at all, he's a math prodigy, but got some snap with a loose wrist and some surprising throws.

I use a mirror and I'm videoing more now, but I think I need some inperson coaching.

Or, maybe Skype? Does that work outside?

I bet I'm the slowest learner that's ever been on this forum.

Yes, nose up is a problem I've struggled with...

Can you post a picture of your grip? Changing my grip made one of the more noticeable changes in my distance and accuracy.

Can you post a picture of your grip? Changing my grip made one of the more noticeable changes in my distance and accuracy.

I had (and sometimes occasionally still have) a nose up issue. I tend to try making adjustments one piece at a time. The first thing I did was work on my wrist angle and that really helped me keep the nose down and just that one tweak added thirty or forty feet to my shots. Recently, I modified my grip as well. I was using sort of a modified fan grip for everything and it was great for control but was costing me a little snap or spin. I started using a more traditional power grip on my drives and probably just that tweak gained me another thirty or forty feet on my drives.

There are so many things that affect the throw. If they all happen just right it can be a thing of beauty. If just one of those elements during the throw isn't quite right then everything else that is right probably isn't going to overcome that one wrong thing.

So, what next? Oh, and I've done endless closed shoulder drills, I must not understand them.

I mean, maybe you should throw harder??? I honestly don't know how a physically intact adult can have the form displayed in your video and not be able to break 200'.

I don't mean this to be snide; Sidewinder, do you ever run into people that just need to dig into it? Jaime Sadlowski once said "If you want to hit it far, you have to swing hard." Or is that just a stupid thought?

...I honestly don't know how a physically intact adult can have the form displayed in your video and not be able to break 200'.

I thought the same thing when I saw the videos. His form doesn't look too bad for breaking 200'.

It's hard for me to really see though in slow motion...hard to get a "feel" for what kind of heat he's putting into the disc.

Ha. Perhaps we're all just assuming the videos are in slow motion but it's actually in real time. That would explain the 200' barrier.

Do you suppose it's a simple as throw harder?

Stokely said an interesting thing in that recent video, that he thought one of the future developments to the throw is that everyone would have two: a drive and an approach, and they would be different mechanics rather than just taking speed off a drive. Maybe I'm throwing only approaches.

I'll go to the soccer field this morning and see if I can just increase power.

I am assuming you have no substantial physical limitations. Strongarming alone should get you past 200'.

It looks like you are holding back, or too focused on too many aspects of the throw at once. The drills aren't supposed to be exact components of an actual throw, more like ways of getting the feel for different aspects. Throw with intent. Don't overthink it. Unleash on the disc and see what happens.

I mean, maybe you should throw harder??? I honestly don't know how a physically intact adult can have the form displayed in your video and not be able to break 200'.

Agreed. I've posted here several times about people displaying decent form who still can't throw 250-300 and most doubted it was possible. But I see it alot, granted in younger and older players mainly, who have what appears to be decent form but just can't launch the disc at a decent speed. I definitely think players should on occasion throw the sh$% out of a disc just to understand what it feels like and why not to throw like that. But at the least.. it may make them understand what it feels like to try to get faster arm speed.

Saw some of your videos from 2019. One of them showed the disc wobbling while it was still in contact with your hand. Others looked like you were actively opening your hand upon release.

Unless you have made a change since then, it looks like grip is an issue. If that connection between you and the disc is wrong, then that's a big leak in power right there.

It looks like you are holding back, or too focused on too many aspects of the throw at once. The drills aren't supposed to be exact components of an actual throw, more like ways of getting the feel for different aspects. Throw with intent. Don't overthink it. Unleash on the disc and see what happens.

It really looks too many mind is the problem.

I made it to the soccer fields and threw putters as hard as I possibly could. I've never tried that that I can remember. It felt like my arm was stretching.

I threw 200 feet with an Aviar, did not know I could come close to that. No video, I was ignoring form and trying to slam them.

After, I threw a few with as close to zero effort as I could and they went 160.

I don't know what if anything I learned! <g>

Hard for a third party to tell you what you have learned but maybe an indication your form work has taken hold if you get your head out of the way.?

Don't think about power or form. Think about a target and be as smooth as possible and let the power be whatever it is.

Play catch! That gives you a lot more reps in a short amount of time and gets you to stop thinking about the throw. Great way to work on grip and nose angle issues too.

I threw 200 feet with an Aviar, did not know I could come close to that. No video, I was ignoring form and trying to slam them.

After, I threw a few with as close to zero effort as I could and they went 160.

First of all....200 ft with a putter is NOT BAD AT ALL congrats! All things being equal, that should eventually translate to near 275-300ft with a driver in time. What you have learned is technically, body, muscle, etc, wise... you can throw further than 200ft.

Zero effort to 160 is also not bad. Let's be real here, for most par 3s that's a typical upshot to the basket. If you can place that disc within 20ft of the basket from 160ft out with near zero effort.. c'mon.. that's a skill most disc golfers would love to have.

Maybe you just experienced max power vs controlled power. Those are 2 very real different things that definitely should feel different. I say stick with that aviar for a while, keep snapping the hell out of it (more spin, not arm speed). Once you're throwing them 175-200 somewhat relaxed, perhaps add a mid range into the mix. I would 100% focus on putters and mids for a while. I think you're more on your way than you realize. Keep at it!

I bet I'm the slowest learner that's ever been on this forum.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be me actually, going on 49 years old and can't even throw a GStar Sidewinder 250ft, after playing this game this since the early 90's one would think I would be able to do better then that.

Latest posts