• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 Ace Race Disc - Name it

2010 ace race disc name

• Seeker (along the lines of Tracker, Stalker, etc)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Hornet (along the lines of Buzzz, Wasp, Drone, etc)

Votes: 50 61.0%
  • Asteroid (along the lines of Comet, Meteor, etc)

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Bomb (along the lines of Nuke)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other (all your ideas suck superberry)

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters
I hated the disc for the ace race. But love it from the tee now. I have heavy ones. To me they have a weird super sharp fade with a soft throw, that I don't like. But with a nice gentle full drive For me they go 250' straight and then gently fade for another 50'. Consistently 300' for me. Kind like a more stable stalker or faster wasp. You just need to actually throw it, not use it so much as a mid range. Hornet or Creeper

Vulture
Buzzard
Iguana
Condor

There already was a Condor...
Condor.jpg

"The Condor has long been a favorite of disc golf pros throwing thumb rollers and is available in heavy weights for just that purpose. All of the heavy discs are white in color. The Condor is one of Innovas largest diameter and heaviest weight golf discs. The Condor has a very stable true flight. It is very accurate at all ranges. In the very light weight (138grams) the Condor is used for self caught flight events of Throw, Run and Catch (TRC) and Maximum Time Aloft (MTA). The Condor currently holds the TRC World Record of 94 meters. "

It's a pretty nice disc if you throw it at full power. If it were more consistent at slower speeds I would consider swapping out my Wasp for it. As it stands, it's more Impact for me than Wasp.

Call it the "don't even bother seeking PDGA approval but thanks for trying."

There already was a 'Bomb' by Ching. Still have mine. A more overstable discraft mid could definitely be the Hornet. That said, it has speed like a fairway driver, but the mould of a mid. Assuming they keep it around, it could start a new line of names off. Think fast and perhaps predictability or bite: Osprey, Raptor, Dragonfly, Griffin, etc.

FWIW, there is nothing to hate about this disc. With a couple of days use it came across as less versatile than my existing mid (Sanny Roc) to cause me to consider carrying it around. The Ace Race itself may not have been the best vehicle for it's launch however as in most cases the shorter distances forced throwing it underpowered which exaggerated it's overstability for some. Most of us ended up throwing hyzers, which was more a work around than something insightful offered by the disc.

Kelly.

Hornet imo

I've thrown it in my bag only for when I want shorter spike hyzers, and to give the disc a chance. It's okay at best, has absolutely no glide and is a brick at low speeds.

Official from Discraft - the disc is approved as a 2.0 rated HORNET!

2010 prototype approved, named

-----------------------

Players agree that this disc is a great fit between the Wasp and the Drone, and several players suggested the name Hornet. We thought that was a winner, so welcome to the hive, Hornet!

The disc is now approved for PDGA tournament play, and Ace Race copies are legal. Please spread to the word to your players.

Hornet will be released to the general public soon; we plan on running the production version in Z plastic with a max weight of 178 grams. Lower weights down to 150 may be possible.

The ESP (Ace Race) version has been given a stability rating of 2.0.

Latest posts