• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

I was going to let your post go, but since there was a response...my only thing about that is Paul is adding a disc or two at a time versus switching his whole bag. If he doesn't like a disc, he can go back to the previous "old faithful". We'll never know if he would struggle after switching his whole bag or not because he stuck with Innova and seems happy there.

The bottom line is that everybody playing at the top has a ton of talent. Paul just seems to have a level of consistency and the ability to thrive under pressure that his competitors don't. Perhaps the switch to new molds has killed some confidence/consistency from his competitors. Perhaps Paul's strengths are wearing them down (if you saw Ricky's face during the playoff at Worlds, he was mentally spent when Paul looked like he was out for a casual round).

I had more doubts about Michael Jordan winning rings than I do Paul McBeth winning Championships.

I was impressed with Nikko yesterday, too. I think he takes more flak than he deserves. I'd love to see him turn it around today. The way he handled that interview has to make him a little more confident.

The thing really bugs me about him is the crazy tantrums over your run of the mill missed putts, I'm talking the ones he's probably only going to make 50-60% of the time anyways. I can feel bad for a guy who just took a 4 penalty triple bogey but missing putts is part of the game you can count on, how does that get to you that much? Even yesterday his outbursts were waaaay worse on the holes leading up to the real meltdown than they were on the holes that actually took him out of contention.

This also bothers me when playing tournaments, I cant stand watching <950 rated ams go ape sh*t after missing 40 footers or not putting drives inside the 10 foot landing zone they were going for. Is it really that hard to be realistic about your abilities and the fact that every shot is not going to be perfect?

This also bothers me when playing tournaments, I cant stand watching <950 rated ams go ape sh*t after missing 40 footers or not putting drives inside the 10 foot landing zone they were going for. Is it really that hard to be realistic about your abilities and the fact that every shot is not going to be perfect?

I always thanked those people under my breath for donating to my payout. :D

It does suck to have them on the card though.

Lots of guys out here swap a couple molds for this course/tournament. Typically to more overstable drivers to keep it inside the ropes. I wouldn't read too much into it.

But reading too much into it is how we do... it's our thing, what we're 'good'
at, and for some of us, it's all we know.

Switching from PD to thunderbird isn't as big as switching from innova to prodigy. PD and thunderbird are eerily similar, and the plastic blends feel identical.

Prodigy is new plastics, new putters...new everything. I get your point that it's surprising, but I also think the Thunderbird probably isn't that much different from a PD, which he has thrown for a long time.

I agree that it's not a very drastic change. I swapped out a well worn C-line PD for an Asia Open Thunderbird and found them to be a little different (Thunderbird with more glide and less fade) and I'm no pro. A top tier talent would probably be able to use them pretty interchangeably. However, that should be true for discs from Prodigy, some of which seem to have been molded specifically to replace popular molds from other companies. The players made the conscious decision to switch companies and while Ricky, Paige, Catrina, and Big Jerm are winning Majors and NTs, people seem to discount those things in the conversation. I still think that any real decrease is due to things off the course or a something impacting the mental game. These guys are the top of the sport and if your mental edge slips for one moment it can cost you a stroke or more at any time, which can easily account for a 6-10 point drop in round rating.

Edit: A lot was posted while I was putting this together and it seems like we're on the same page with more focus on the mental aspect of the game having the biggest impact amongst top tier players. However, they gain that mental edge though could fill an entire other thread. Also really interested to see JohnE and Will today.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to seeing John E and Will throw. Hopefully they can keep up and make it interesting.

I'm really looking forward to this. I always like seeing Doss on the lead card, but Will is fun to watch and you don't see much of Johne. Should be a good round and hopefully the lead card stays competitive.

Some really cool cards going to be playing today. Glad to see some European players up there! Really excited for the card with AJ, KC and MJ (not to discount Josh Childs, thats an intimidating card though!)!

I was impressed with Patrick Brown, too. But I guess I'm a little biased toward the older guys. Yesterday was interesting because everyone on that lead card really struggled at some point.

Patrick is still on the lead card today and only one behind JohnE so it's going to be the Masters vs the young guns this round. Anyone else check the weather of this round? 10mph winds and a chance of thunder showers around 3pm. Might have an impact as the top card finishes the front 9.

But reading too much into it is how we do... it's our thing, what we're 'good'
at, and for some of us, it's all we know.

Touché sir.

Ok, heading to the course for the day.

Can the Masters-aged guys catch the best disc golfer on the planet? WILL the 4th place 2-time US champion make his move (haha I'm funny)? Are you #TeamSimon or #TeamJussi for the Discmania contest? Last year Barry Schultz took a big number on the infamous "888" and still took second, can he repeat the feat?

Man I wish we had a disc golf sportscenter show I could write this stuff for :D

I'm as excited as you guys are for today...

McBeth Round 2 hole 9 took a +3 with 2 shots going O.B. New disc error with the Thunderbird? The third try looked like it was back to the Firebird.

In other news Locastro had a few mini meltdowns.

McBeth Round 2 hole 9 took a +3 with 2 shots going O.B. New disc error with the Thunderbird? The third try looked like it was back to the Firebird.

Silly to blame the disc. The green he was throwing to is extremely shallow. Between it's size/shape, the short grass, and the angle of the approach, it's a really difficult green to stick on. That especially goes for these guys who are trying to secure the three by nestling close to the elevated basket. Even the best players in the world can overthrow or underthrow a shot while trying to be that precise.

It's entirely possible that if the third shot was a Firebird, he threw that because his two Thunderbirds were already out on the fairway and he didn't have another.

Latest posts