• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 PDGA Pro Worlds is in Pittsburgh, PA

So will World's really be just playing 3 courses 1x a day.....I hate this format.....why not play the same course 2x a day and then play more courses and more rounds.
What will the Pro courses be and please tell me you will not have the pros play from anything but the gold tees.....I am not sure who was responsible for the tee selections and the course selections at Charlotte but IMHO it was a little weak given what Charlotte could have thrown at the Top Pros.

There will be between 4-6 courses used from my understanding, and there will only be one round a day.

At least as-is now. There are members on the PDGA board pushing for worlds to be at only 1-course in the future with 1-round a day.

And you can't hate something you haven't tried yet.

There will be between 4-6 courses used from my understanding, and there will only be one round a day.

At least as-is now. There are members on the PDGA board pushing for worlds to be at only 1-course in the future with 1-round a day.

And you can't hate something you haven't tried yet.

I think this is a great idea. It would makes things much easier for everyone involved. :thmbup:

Yes it will make things much smoother. Scores can get posted quicker, tee times assigned quicker, etc etc etc.

People will have time to actually do some other things while in the area.

We will be trying to get some large group events together.

Perhaps get Zack Deputy to come and play a small music festival just minutes from Moraine. I'm trying to get the local brewery to make a few special disc golf beers for the event as well, and there bottling plant should be in full-production by then. I'm ready for some Spike-Hyzer Stout!!

So will World's really be just playing 3 courses 1x a day.....I hate this format.....why not play the same course 2x a day and then play more courses and more rounds.
What will the Pro courses be and please tell me you will not have the pros play from anything but the gold tees.....I am not sure who was responsible for the tee selections and the course selections at Charlotte but IMHO it was a little weak given what Charlotte could have thrown at the Top Pros.

This was soley to get speed of play to around 3 hrs. I think a lot of us would have preferred to see the pros get the most challenging layouts but the PDGA and world's team was looking for an overall experience...

Yes it will make things much smoother. Scores can get posted quicker, tee times assigned quicker, etc etc etc.

People will have time to actually do some other things while in the area.

We will be trying to get some large group events together.

Perhaps get Zack Deputy to come and play a small music festival just minutes from Moraine. I'm trying to get the local brewery to make a few special disc golf beers for the event as well, and there bottling plant should be in full-production by then. I'm ready for some Spike-Hyzer Stout!!

When I went to Moraine, it was on a Sunday (the road to the course parking was closed I think). I was driving from Meadville to Charlotte in the winter sometime. I parked along one of the fairways and played from there. I remember it felt in the middle of nowhere. I even found a utility pole top and some fence post stakes that I threw in my subaru and brought back to charlotte. They mark OB at Bailey and I use the pole top to prevent erosion or build up a teepad somewhere.

Will players have much opportunity between rounds to get food and drink? Also, will anyone actually stay in Pittsburgh?

Worlds has not only been about the challenge of the individual courses but also about the endurance and psychological challenge of playing more rounds than any other event to become World Champion. It's our marathon event that I don't believe should have fewer rounds even if some rounds are longer due to the course challenge. Otherwise, Worlds becomes just like any other Major with 4 rounds even if there's a Final 9. It's similar to the Triple Crown in horse racing. The Belmont is the longest race that forces the sprinters who might win the Kentucky Derby to also deliver over a longer track to earn that elusive Triple Crown.

Last edited:

C'mon, Jerome.

Indeed, as was indicated already, the Charlotte courses were intentionally kept away from their longest layouts to keep rounds of play to a reasonable timeframe. This has already been explained multiple times in several threads.

Furthermore, the format idea of one round of par 66 disc golf per day was suggested and is being pushed by the two touring pros on the PDGA Board of Directors. However, no final decision on the format has been made by either the Pittsburgh host team or BoD. There are still several years to discuss the proposed change and weigh the benefits and cons. In the meantime, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

right on Jeff!! SO much can change in the next 2 1/2 years. At least we have time to get everything in order and try to make it a wonderful event.

It's just nice that this dream of hosting Worlds in Pittsburgh is going to happen after more than 25 years of work from the PFDS. This has been a goal of ours since I started playing in 94 and I am sure it goes back many more years before me.

I hope that we will be able to have lots of other activities planned to go along with the event.

The host hotel will be in Cranberry which means that Knob Hill will be 10 minutes away, Moraine about 35 and Deer Lakes 40. Cranberry is also within 25 minutes of downtown Pittsburgh.

Would be great to get a whole section of seats for a Pirates game or something. Maybe a free ticket in the players pack?? Figuring they should fall below .500, I think we should be able to manage a few free tix.

Jeff wouldn't it be a shame if the top players in the world don't play moraine from the golds. I think traveling between courses is the logistical nightmare. Playing the event at 1 location with 2 rounds seems fair.
I'm not bashing I just was hopeful that worlds was the real Pittsburgh experience.

Would be great to get a whole section of seats for a Pirates game or something. Maybe a free ticket in the players pack?? Figuring they should fall below .500, I think we should be able to manage a few free tix.

Come on, now! Those games will be totally sold out, because the Pirates are always in the mix... until... the All-Star Break. :) I will most likely go Pro by 2015, and Pittsburgh is a nice drive through the mountains from VA.

I'm trying to get the local brewery to make a few special disc golf beers for the event as well, and there bottling plant should be in full-production by then. I'm ready for some Spike-Hyzer Stout!!

Are you implying that North Country Brewery is getting a bottling plant???
Just the thought of this brings a tear to my eye...

I'm trying to get the local brewery to make a few special disc golf beers for the event as well, and there bottling plant should be in full-production by then. I'm ready for some Spike-Hyzer Stout!!

Are you implying that North Country Brewery is getting a bottling plant???
Just the thought of this brings a tear to my eye...

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Jeff wouldn't it be a shame if the top players in the world don't play moraine from the golds. I think traveling between courses is the logistical nightmare. Playing the event at 1 location with 2 rounds seems fair.
I'm not bashing I just was hopeful that worlds was the real Pittsburgh experience.

The draft schedule included in the bid to the PDGA had only the Open division playing Moraine during the week, and they would certainly play from the Gold tees. Now maybe the best possible pin locations would be chosen, and not every polehole utilized in the C pin position.

The draft schedule included in the bid to the PDGA had the Masters and the Grandmasters who made the semi-final cut playing Moraine on Saturday morning, and for speed of play and getting finalists over to Slippery Rock, I'd bet my bottom dollar that they would play from the Blue tees.

If the schedule gets rearranged, maybe the Open women and Masters in the B pool would play Moraine during the week from the Gold tees. (And no matter what, I don't think you'll see Legends, Master Women, Sr GM Men, etc. playing Moraine from the white tees. They will almost certainly not play Moraine at all) But absolutely nothing has been set in stone yet.

Good info

I like the idea of less travel especially in Pitt where it's spread out. I also agree that the best pin is not always the longest

I was bewildered when I heard the pros didn't play Nevin long and didn't want the same to happen in Pitt. I'd rather they play in one location a short and long round then have the travel nightmare between courses and play the blue tees.

In the end I'm excited for Pittsburgh no matter what.