• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pros and Their Manufacturers

Bingo. We are just differentiating our ability to produce products.

Gateway will always be our manufacturer of our putters and various other molds that we are developing.......

Salient will also produce some molds
& potentially other products if we choose to branch out.
Ugh, this just killed my interest in RDG. Sorry guys, and good luck to you, but giving money to Salient, even indirectly, is a non-starter for me.

Yep. Even though I don't bag any Legacy they are a great company. The Rico's are stand-up citizens of disc golf. :hfive:
I couldn't agree more! I love my Mongoose, and would enjoy trying more of their discs, but everything they have that interests me competes with some of the more established molds in my bag. :|

I think Nikko is one of those players who can use just about any disc for any specific situation and succeed.
Yep, his putting the last couple years showed that... :rolleyes: Unless by succeed you meant cry like a b!tch, kick his bag, and pout around the course. In that case I agree.

Playing a round with Emoney is Prolly part of his community service
Just kidding! I like my MVP discs and felt I should stick up for them, but well played sir!:D For whatever it's worth I hope Nikko doesn't go anywhere near MVP. His BS headcase antics do not reflect well on anyone around him. The brothers have done a great job so far, and I think Nikko would be a step backwards.

Ugh, this just killed my interest in RDG. Sorry guys, and good luck to you, but giving money to Salient, even indirectly, is a non-starter for me.

I couldn't agree more! I love my Mongoose, and would enjoy trying more of their discs, but everything they have that interests me competes with some of the more established molds in my bag. :|

Yep, his putting the last couple years showed that... :rolleyes: Unless by succeed you meant cry like a b!tch, kick his bag, and pout around the course. In that case I agree.

Just kidding! I like my MVP discs and felt I should stick up for them, but well played sir!:D For whatever it's worth I hope Nikko doesn't go anywhere near MVP. His BS headcase antics do not reflect well on anyone around him. The brothers have done a great job so far, and I think Nikko would be a step backwards.

I have not been a Nikko fan, but I think any "top" pro throwing their products will help MVP a lot with a certain group of players. And most of the rest won't care.

I have not been a Nikko fan, but I think any "top" pro throwing their products will help MVP a lot with a certain group of players. And most of the rest won't care.

I see a few benefits in Nikko throwing MVP (depending on how the sponsorship works).

It puts the discs in the hands of a top touring pro that will regularly throw them. That means more exposure at tournaments all over the country and visibility in any videos that have Nikko in them.

Cross promotion with Flylife makes it easier to move discs in whatever area Nikko is in. Custom stamped MVP and Axiom discs, with the Flylife logo, or other FlyLife art are mutually beneficial. You create a limited release for collectibility or the "coolness factor" of having a unique stamp and wherever Nikko goes he will be pushing them to promote his company as well.

Legitimacy of the product increases quite a bit, because Nikko has the opportunity to bag any disc he wants and he put those gyro discs in his bag for a reason.

I'd say the move is good for Nikko because it seems to be bringing his game back up to where it should be, and as a result it will be good for anyone partnered with him in the near future.

That's where I disagree. First, having got to know jcass pretty well, I know it was not an easy decision for him to make. A variety of factors for that, which I won't get into, but needless to say he did not take it likely.

Secondly, I think Salient has made huge strides in the last 8 months or so. A lot of people on here know that I was probably the biggest Salient detractor. I got the Prometheus and thought that plastic blend was amazing, but the disc didn't live up to they hype. Tried the Cryo Antidote and again found amazing plastic with a terrible disc (it has since be re-worked and is more reliable, like an even glidier Stingray.) The Catalyst disaster was where I just quit thinking about Salient because I figured that was the nail in their coffin. Then I tried the Vein and Backdraft and started to realize that maybe they weren't total screw-ups.

But what sold me on Salient (this isn't a complete thread drift, since we are talking about pros and their manufacturers) was their unprecedented support for John E. McCray (and, to a lesser extend, Cam Todd) which allowed him to go on tour and bring his presence and skill to a national level. Of course, Latitude offered him a better deal for 2015, which he certainly earned, so that's that.

I think Salient will change a lot of minds in 2015, and having RDG on board for the Salient sponsored pros to throw is a good move. They are a long ways from snapping up elite-level disc golfers, but they have a good roster of local pros for 2015. I wouldn't be surprised that the "2017 Pros and Their Manufacturers" will feature some top flight up and comers signing with Salient/Yikun/RDG.

Wasn't JohnE already on tour when Salient stepped in?

I'm not sure of the exact details since I am neither John E nor the owners of Salient, but when the deal went down, John E himself said they were a huge factor in him being able to tour full-time as opposed to part time as he had done in the past.

Yeah, I just confirmed it. He was on tour before Failient showed up. Good try, though.

So would you care to follow on to that point, or is that your anti-Salient argument?

Oh I have lots of other anti-failient arguments, but none that really pertain to this thread. Your claim of "unprecedented support for JohnE which made it possible for him to tour" just struck me as inaccurate, so I asked the question. I didn't know that I needed to further the point beyond which I already had.

Sailient might has gassed up the RV at critical time on JohnE's tour, but they were the bandwagon jumpers here.

Salient might has gassed up the RV at critical time on JohnE's tour, but they were the bandwagon jumpers here.

Everybody are bandwagon jumpers then, even Gateway. That's kind of how sponsorships work. Do you think Dave Mac extended him that sponsorship offer all those years ago because Johne asked?

At least Salient was smart/nice enough to extend the offer when he really needed it, not after his week in SC. Lat didn't lift a finger until after the USDGC...which wouldn't have happened without Salient "gassing up the RV" for him to get to Rock Hill.

Which one is really worse? The company that flexes their wallet after a pro has a great season, or the company that did what they could to help that pro continue on with the aforementioned great season?

Simple: He was given the money for his signature discs up front, which is what allowed him to continue his "About Time" tour once Salient became part of it. They didn't just send him a pile of discs as an allotment. They didn't just slap his name on a disc and pay him monthly or quarterly or however the other companies do it.

Simple: He was given the money for his signature discs up front, which is what allowed him to continue his "About Time" tour once Salient became part of it. They didn't just send him a pile of discs as an allotment. They didn't just slap his name on a disc and pay him monthly or quarterly or however the other companies do it.

I'm pretty sure Prodigy and Innova were doing that long before.

Latest posts