• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pros and Their Manufacturers

As far as I can tell, Vibram named one of their discs after weed slang and didn't fire Steve Dodge over it, and Salient...whatever Salient did, he'll apparently take his hatred of them to his grave.
Ahhh...personal grudge, then. I thought the 420 thing was a poor move, too, but I also think Steve does a lot to try to grow the sport in a positive way. /shrug

Salient burned a lot of people initially. Especially with their first bag. They've made great strides in their customer service and what they did for Cam Todd and John E McCray shouldn't be forgotten by those in the know.

Vibram is a good company with a quality rep in the sports world. Steve Dodge ' s priority is growing the sport side of disc golf, but he doesn't slack on the game side either with events like the Birdie Bash. Their disc line still has a ways to go to be complete, but that isn't their main focus. They still allow mixed bags so I don't see any issue at all there.

But, like I said, if someone comes along with a BBD, any player would be foolish not to jump on it.

I have a feeling that somewhere out in the world, there is a young guy/girl throwing MVP, that will be the next big name in DG. The only question is whether MVP will get behind them before one of the big boys snatches him/her up.

I have a feeling that somewhere out in the world, there is a young guy/girl throwing MVP, that will be the next big name in DG. The only question is whether MVP will get behind them before one of the big boys snatches him/her up.

ya. thank you. finally i get some recognition. unfortunately mvp wont throw me a bone. they said i had to edit out all the bogeys and pars from my video to be considered.

All this "99% of the recreational disc golfers don't know who the pros are" stuff begs a question... if I buy more discs than 99 average chuckers out there combined (which sadly I'm guessing I do), then who is more important to the manufacturers? My 1% of the disc golfing population who purchases 99% of the product and pays attention to the pros, or their 99% of the population who buys 1% of the product and has no clue who Ken Climo is?

I, for one, hope no one switches sponsors. The last thing disc golf on the sport side needs is to become like MLB or NFL or any other big time sport where people switch teams all the time.

Granted, if a good player isn't getting much from their sponsor and someone else comes along with a much better deal....more power to them.

I laughed at this. This thread represents the only people who care who is sponsored by who.

Teams and sponsors are like comparing apples to junior mints.

The key flaw in your statement is using the words "big time sport". disc golf in your or my lifetime will never be a big time sport. As much as you wish it and ask santa for it, it isn't going to happen.

Meanwhile the almighty dollar still is undefeated. The best deal will get the best players. Innova may have plenty of signature disc for mcbeth but if prodigy came along and offered him more than innova does, then he would jump ship in a heartbeat. 99% of the disc golf world still wouldn't care.

All this "99% of the recreational disc golfers don't know who the pros are" stuff begs a question... if I buy more discs than 99 average chuckers out there combined (which sadly I'm guessing I do), then who is more important to the manufacturers? My 1% of the disc golfing population who purchases 99% of the product and pays attention to the pros, or their 99% of the population who buys 1% of the product and has no clue who Ken Climo is?

I agree. It's ignorant to say the biggest market share has no idea who the pros are. Most chuckers have 4 or 5 discs they tote around. I've bought more than 200 chuckers combined and I know a lot of DGCR members have as well. Everyone has YouTube so as soon as you start really getting into the game you'll be checking out videos most likely with pros (whose names you come to remember). If companies were loosing money on having pros you really think they would still do it? Come on. I'm guessing most chuckers don't know about the Innova factory store but yet it makes a ton of money when they release McPro Aviars and Rocs. If they didn't make money they wouldn't do it.

I laughed at this. This thread represents the only people who care who is sponsored by who.

Teams and sponsors are like comparing apples to junior mints.

The key flaw in your statement is using the words "big time sport". disc golf in your or my lifetime will never be a big time sport. As much as you wish it and ask santa for it, it isn't going to happen.

Meanwhile the almighty dollar still is undefeated. The best deal will get the best players. Innova may have plenty of signature disc for mcbeth but if prodigy came along and offered him more than innova does, then he would jump ship in a heartbeat. 99% of the disc golf world still wouldn't care.

The biggest flaw in your argument is your lack of reading comprehension.

Innova may have plenty of signature disc for mcbeth but if prodigy came along and offered him more than innova does, then he would jump ship in a heartbeat. 99% of the disc golf world still wouldn't care.

McBeth won't go to Prodigy. Remember, there can only be one hawk.

McBeth won't go to Prodigy. Remember, there can only be one hawk.

I believe I heard, during one of the podcast interviews, that McBeth was offered Prodigy at the beginning but he turned it down out of loyalty to Innova. Innova picked him up as a junior before he had any success and he felt that it was only fair to stay with them at this point.

Seems logical and actually makes me more of a fan of McBeth's.

I believe I heard, during one of the podcast interviews, that McBeth was offered Prodigy at the beginning but he turned it down out of loyalty to Innova. Innova picked him up as a junior before he had any success and he felt that it was only fair to stay with them at this point.

Seems logical and actually makes me more of a fan of McBeth's.

I agree, but if the sponsors say take it to the next level and offer more than a stack of disc and some shirts, then it becomes a money talks situation. Loyalty always has a price.

I agree, but if the sponsors say take it to the next level and offer more than a stack of disc and some shirts, then it becomes a money talks situation. Loyalty always has a price.

Innova gives him a "substantial" portion of every signature disc that he sells...

McPro Aviar (many varieties), still current
McPro Roc, still current
McPro Krait, still current
McPro Thunderbird, still current
Sig Roc 3, still current
S-Line P2

He gets some coin for every sale that goes through Innova's doors on those discs, not to mention the bonus they give him for winning. FAR more than a "stack of discs and some shirts".

The Champ stated that he made about 4-5k a month (at a quarter a disc), in summer months, with sales of his signature discs back in his heyday. So where do you think that puts Paul? Probably far more than what Prodigy can offer anyways.