• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

FWIW ... I talked to Doss after round 1 and asked him why the layup strategy on 17. he said it was because of the tree on the right. he felt it had grown to the point where it was too dangerous to go for it with the BH anhyzer now, so he'd rather pitch out, and have a safe hyzer approach.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if a statistically valid poll were taken, it would 99:1 against. The 1% seems noisy though.

I always thought it was more of a "get out of trouble" technique than a viable full time alternative.

Here's a sad example of not understanding the scoring at USDGC.

You can only throw 5 discs ob from 17s tee before going to the drop zone in the hay bales.

A guy throws 4 OBs. Then lays up! And proceeds to throw the next shot OB.

This happened on my card twice. Just giving strokes away. And the first guy was way under projection -10 when he did this.

Here's an example of someone not being preparred for an event

You can only throw 5 discs ob from 17s tee before going to the drop zone in the hay bales.

This happened on my card twice. Just giving strokes away. And the first guy was way under projection -10 when he did this.

FTFY

Here's a sad example of someone not being prepared for an event

FTFY

FTFY.

:D

Those are by far the best I have ever seen taken of players. What settings and exposures
did you use?

A fast shutter speed is critical on drives and fairway shots to try to stop the action with the forearm and disc. I try to keep it 1/3000 or faster but with rainy and overcast skies, it can be difficult. Aperture typically was wide open and ISO was adjusted as needed.

I also used a camera with a quiet shutter using a remote control with to set up close to the tee box so I wouldn't disturb the player. Hole 3 was a nice spot since I could set the camera directly in front downhill from the tee. I ran it by Jussi and we both agreed most folks would not even notice the camera.
Example: https://homandesigns.smugmug.com/Disc-Golf/USDGC-2015-Round-2/i-7W5TkVW/1/X3/IMG_2592-X3.jpg

Mike

This was the first year in a while I missed the island on 17, came in too hot with my putter and trickled/slid OB deep both times. Stroke/distance year, I laid up every round and 3'd every time. Considered the layup play this year, but opted to go for the island as I felt it was my best play for a 3 (or 2). I think I went 5-5-2-3.
***On Saturday I made what most likely was an $810 throw to land on the island in 1. I don't land it, there is a good chance I'm finding myself on the wrong side of the cash line. Another guy on my card was not so lucky.

Also, in response (many pages back) to my teeshot on 12 R1- I don't like to go from the sidewalk to the grooved teepad surface during my run up, so I instead keep my run up (and throw) strictly on the sidewalk portion of the teepad. There is a faded line on the right and I am well within that during my point of release (and run up).

Is there any stat keeping sites for this tourney? Watching some of the round 3 videos, couldn't help wondering for example about the number of people who went for the green on #10, what percentage made it, what didn't, those that did a lay-up and upshot, what was their birdie %, that sorta thing.

Also, hole #6 I think it is, where the basket on the sand by the water, most people throw a low shot straight that hopefully fades/skips to the sand for an easy putt, is there any real RHFH or LHBH line over the bushes and water? Or likely there is, but does anyone throw that route?

Is there any stat keeping sites for this tourney? Watching some of the round 3 videos, couldn't help wondering for example about the number of people who went for the green on #10, what percentage made it, what didn't, those that did a lay-up and upshot, what was their birdie %, that sorta thing.

Also, hole #6 I think it is, where the basket on the sand by the water, most people throw a low shot straight that hopefully fades/skips to the sand for an easy putt, is there any real RHFH or LHBH line over the bushes and water? Or likely there is, but does anyone throw that route?

That's a nearly impossible line. You have to play really wide over the water to clear the trees and have very little room to land. And then it's typically a headwind so chances are it will not come back. The LHBH/LHFH line is really low and flat under that right side of the tree leaving a 40-70' putt.

There were also people throwing a wider hyzer route(Koling was one) and some taking a skinnier route. I think Paul did this in the third round but it was hard to tell if it was purposeful or if it slipped out early.

Going out over the water there probably adds 100 feet or more to the hole, plus if you come up short, you're screwed for having crossed so early.

Like every other hole there, it's all about course management. The risks far outweigh the rewards as far as trying unconventional routes on pretty much every hole. Far more prudent to play up the middle or the wide right line and stay in bounds for the simple three. Four is as bad a score as you can take on hole 6 if you want to stay in the hunt.

My buddy, Nick Austin (Open Flight) tried the lefty hyzer on 6 with no success. I want to say that Devin Owens may have thrown the lefty hyzer in years past?

I did like how they pushed the hazard back on 6 this year. I felt it previously punished those trying to go up the gut vs those just ripping a huge hyzer. Although I did still end up in the hazard going up the gut once this year.

The left hand route on 6 was reasonable at one time. I remember the late Craig Leyva (Leyviar) executing it I believe with his namesake Aviar.

Raymond Oberley Jr threw that route with a forehand in 2013. He said it took roughly 450ft of power to throw the shot. It's not really a hyzer line either, it's a high flexed out stall shot that then has to come back to the green. He threw it in practice and got a few on the green, but in the actual tournament round the disc didn't fade back enough and splashed in the water left of the green - he never got it back. Didn't seem like a good route to take in a tournament just because of the small margin for error.

So disappointed they still haven't posted the payout on PDGA.com. Was the payout weak or something? I can't find it on USDGC.com either...anyone have a link to it anywhere?

Still looking for that payout...been searching hard but no luck. I got a chance to watch the Insider Show for Day 4 though while I searched---that was pretty cool if you like a lot of statistics. I like statistics too, like the payout, isn't that one of the more important stats? Help me out here friends!

Latest posts