• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early rounds are gonna be beautiful. Late rounds, especially the last, will be very hot (for winter!) and fairly windy.

idk, there is always a crazy windstorm for at least one round that makes things interesting.

In my book any defense of a course that consists of

"Well if the winds up it's really hard"

Isn't good enough. But that's just me

You know what was an awesome tournament to watch? Last year's HOFC. Carolina woods = Disc golf. Get out of here with your open hyzerfests and disc golf on ball golf courses. What a snoozefest.

You know what was an awesome tournament to watch? Last year's HOFC. Carolina woods = Disc golf. Get out of here with your open hyzerfests and disc golf on ball golf courses. What a snoozefest.

Word. My order for favorite courses on NT's last year goes like this:

1) HOFC
2) Maple Hill Open
3) Masters Cup
4) Beaver State Fling
5-7) ledgestone/memorial/GBO

It kinda makes me wanna puke every time I hear Jussi and company say something about getting "disc golf out of the woods" or whatever. I still haven't seen any evidence that open golf is more compelling or even actually easier/better to film. It is easier to spectate, I'll get em that.

Weather forecast right now is pretty favorable, and pretty hot which bodes well for AZ guys like myself. I wont have any trouble with the 90 degrees. Im not sure I can say the same for my first round cardmates from OR, CO, and Pasi Koivu from Finland. Im more worried about finding some spot I can park and sleep close enough to fountain hills at 3-4 am this morning

Could always just find a Wal-Mart.

Did the live schedule go up?
Who's watching at work tomorrow?:hfive:

Live scoring for the Open Women's division kicks off bright and early tomorrow morning at Fountain Hills, starting with the first tee time at 7:08am MST. The SmashBoxxTV live stream will follow, scheduled to start at approximately 1:30pm MST, covering the feature group: 2015 Memorial Champion Jeremy Koling, 4X World Champion Paul McBeth, 3X World Champion Nate Doss #11794, and 2015 Amateur World Champion Anthony Barela #44382.

Should be a good group to start out the year with...

It kinda makes me wanna puke every time I hear Jussi and company say something about getting "disc golf out of the woods" or whatever. I still haven't seen any evidence that open golf is more compelling or even actually easier/better to film. It is easier to spectate, I'll get em that.

it makes me wanna puke anytime someone writes something so idiotic.

Jussi isn't hating on woods courses, just that they are terrible to use for major tournaments. To change disc golf into a sport where we play for other peoples(sponsors, spectators) money instead of our own, we need spectators. The more spectators we have live the easier of a sell it is to sponsors. I've been in the gallery at Vibram many times the final round and the woods holes make it very difficult to watch, and there the gallery is smaller than it could be as the many choose to hang out on the 18th green. And the holes there are nowhere near as tight and congested as elsewhere.

The Memorial courses can be extremely boring at times but Fountain especially is very spectator friendly, also it can be seen from a well used road without that road ever coming into play for players.

Anybody have links for live scoring?
Not live coverage, just scoring

PDGALive.com is always the place to check for live scoring of PDGA events. When they get today's rounds prepared for scoring, they'll appear there. Use the drop down "Live Scoring" menu at the top to select the event (once it's available).

Word. My order for favorite courses on NT's last year goes like this:

1) HOFC
2) Maple Hill Open
3) Masters Cup
4) Beaver State Fling
5-7) ledgestone/memorial/GBO

I agree with that list and the post.

#KeepDGintheWoods

Having played both Vista and Fountain, I can agree that it's boring to watch at times.

However that doesn't mean it isn't a competitive layout with the chance for big scoring swings.

They can play pretty difficult at times.

I'm sure the majority of couch correspondents would probably put up big numbers with all of the OB and wind.

Having played both Vista and Fountain, I can agree that it's boring to watch at times.

However that doesn't mean it isn't a competitive layout with the chance for big scoring swings.

I'm sure the majority of couch correspondents would probably put up big numbers with all of the OB and wind.

Vista is an easy course. I don't find a whole lot of appeal to it. But Fountain Hills has a lot of potential especially a final round. Anytime there is that much water it is interesting. I think you have to have played there to truly appreciate the danger that many greens present.

This post is 100% correct. It doesn't change the fact that I still hate foutain as an NT course.

If its a close battle its pretty exciting to watch...regardless of the course type imo

This post is 100% correct. It doesn't change the fact that I still hate foutain as an NT course.

I hate Fountain Hills as a course, and I penned the most negative review for it on this site. Unfortunately this course is far and away the best in Phoenix. Your problem is that the Memorial is an NT. That is not going to change, the Memorial is a tradition and unless you are planning on building a couple actually good courses in Phoenix, Fountain Hills will remain on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts