• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

Wish they would just play on a disc golf course with natural o.b., it would eliminate all the debate about how to play certain holes.

You just opened the worms so I have to respond. Ppl got bent out of shape with the Stokely call because it was very hard to tell if he was actually foot faulting and KC and PB were being arrogant ****heads like usual. Not to mention it just so happened that they were both team Innova and Stokely wasnt

Very hard to tell on video. On very crappy video. People have to stop using video to call foot faults from their couch. The camera angles can lie, and is not a substitute for reality.

No one that was there in the crowd chimed in, that I remember, other than Stokely's girlfriend, who filmed the crappy footage.

Floating the idea of a teammate conspiracy is pretty laughable. PB is Lat64 now, so let's hope he and JohnE don't have to call any rules while playing on the same card...

The rules are not absolutely clear on whether a mando or OB was violated first.

Technically, you haven't missed a mando until the disc has come to rest. So, both violations happen at the exact same time.

However, everyone at the top who makes final rulings about appeals is certain the Mando rule should be applied. We had a discussion in the war room during 2014 Am Worlds.
I've dealt with the RC on this when the rule first came out that set aside the traditional penalty priorities and causes issues like this. Even if you consider the infractions occur simultaneously, the OB penalty marking last point IB is more punitive than going to the drop zone so it should be applied. That's why when these hazard configurations occur, it's best to have the drop zone apply for crossing into OB located prior to the mando and the missed mando.

Very hard to tell on video. On very crappy video. People have to stop using video to call foot faults from their couch. The camera angles can lie, and is not a substitute for reality.

No one that was there in the crowd chimed in, that I remember, other than Stokely's girlfriend, who filmed the crappy footage.

Floating the idea of a teammate conspiracy is pretty laughable. PB is Lat64 now, so let's hope he and JohnE don't have to call any rules while playing on the same card...

Do you know anyone who would call out the champ if he made an incorrect call? Id bet not. And as for JohnE and PB being on the same card and calling a rule, that would be just as bad seeing as JohnE throws tantrums just as bad

Maybe no such thing as natural o.b., but you sure get punished when you get off the fairway when you play in the woods.

Do you know anyone who would call out the champ if he made an incorrect call? Id bet not. And as for JohnE and PB being on the same card and calling a rule, that would be just as bad seeing as JohnE throws tantrums just as bad

I don't disagree. But that's the problem: no one calls anything, and when they do, it's those who callerd who are vilified.

McBeth calling for a marshall instead of issuing a warning exemplifies the issue further. The whole issue of the Rules and non-calls is kind of a mess; might as well be playing in a C Tier with the lower Ams.

I can forget all this BS if we get some competitive golf for these last few rounds; if Ricky runs away with it, good for him, but I can't watch play on these courses and find it compelling without a tight competition.

I've dealt with the RC on this when the rule first came out that set aside the traditional penalty priorities and causes issues like this. Even if you consider the infractions occur simultaneously, the OB penalty marking last point IB is more punitive than going to the drop zone so it should be applied. That's why when these hazard configurations occur, it's best to have the drop zone apply for crossing into OB located prior to the mando and the missed mando.

Just to clarify for everyone, your "should" means the rules should be changed to say that.

The current rule is
H. A throw or an action that is subject to penalty under more than one rule shall be marked and/or penalized in accordance with the rule that results in the most penalty throws, or, among rules that call for an equal penalty, the rule that was first violated.
"most penalty throws" is not the same as "more punitive".

And yes, having the DZ apply to both OB and Missed Mando is best.

If I was Nikko (I'm not) here's what I would do to counter Paul's gamesmanship for the non-calls on time violations. At some point early in the round, I would violate the 30 sec rule, wait for the non-calls, and then self report my own time violation and give myself a courtesy warning and issue courtesy warnings to all of the other players on my card. Just to stir the pot and light a fire under my ass.

That's what I would do if I were Nikko. What's there to lose and it could just be insane enough to work. :hfive:

I was absolutely blown away by Jason Allind's answer. Shocked, I tell you, shocked.

Given the Mando discussion on the PDGA rules school, I interpret the rules as follows:
HDz7rfe.jpg

Flight A: Last IB at point 1, landed OB, never passed the mando line. Mark lie at Point 1.

Flight B: Last IB at point 2, landed OB, passed mando on wrong side. OB happened first. Mark lie at point 2.

Flight C: IB at point 3, re-entered IB, landed IB, passed mando on wrong side. Since it landed IB, there's no debate about which happened first. It's just a missed mando. Mark lie at DZ.

Flight D: Last IB at point 4, landed OB, passed mando on wrong side (same as flight B). OB happened first. Mark lie at point 4.

Flight E: Missed mando, last IB at point 5, landed OB. Missed mando happened first. Mark lie at DZ.

Flight F: Missed mando, never left IB at all. Mark lie at DZ.

Devan's shot was Flight B/D. Rules School clearly states that you take which happened first and mark it at the last spot IB. The caddy book isn't explicit enough that all OB/missed mando shots should go to the drop zone to make that a viable solution.

(well, maybe you could argue it either way from the caddy book, but Jason Allind was absolutely wrong in his statement at 3:07:20 in the live broadcast.)

This is why I don't like the rules school. It's not an official part of the rule book, and it can get stuff wrong. This is why I only ever refer to the official rules when we are having these discussions. If it isn't in the rule book or QA that way then what it says in the rules school is irrelevant

This is why I don't like the rules school. It's not an official part of the rule book, and it can get stuff wrong. This is why I only ever refer to the official rules when we are having these discussions. If it isn't in the rule book or QA that way then what it says in the rules school is irrelevant
I agree Rules School should be considered "official" since it's vetted by the RC. The current Rules School on mandos is accurate per the current rules and was vetted by the RC.

I agree Rules School should be considered "official" since it's vetted by the RC. The current Rules School on mandos is accurate per the current rules and was vetted by the RC.

Rules School articles have been "vetted" by the RC before and turned out to be totally wrong ("flight line of play" ring any bells?).

Unless the PDGA and the RC state as such (and if they do, some proof would be helpful), Rules School articles should not be considered official.

So then you are saying the mando ruling we are discussing was incorrect?

Not wrong. RC specifically made those changes to the Rules School based on the new rules in 2013.

With the current flawed wording, it would be impossible to be completely or provably right about this. But, any appeal that goes up far enough will get the answer that the Mando rule always applies when the disc is both OB and has missed a mando. The RC is not part of the appeals process, neither is Rules School.