• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

There are some decent holes for galleries and some not so good. (These are using the numbers on the map above, not the actual course numbers) 1-6 good, 7 ok(ish), 8-11 not so good, 12-13 ok(ish), 14-15 not so good, 16 the 1000fter would be good from the tee and around the basket but you would be standing in the weeds on the fairway, 17 decent, 18 not so good from the tee or fairway but will have a nice amphitheater around the last basket.

20479965_10155609961766340_723835030909371412_n.jpg

28 brand new Discatchers installed at Idlewild. Apparently Innova gave the park dept. a pretty good discount. So instead of just replacing the baskets on the original 18, they got new ones for the letter holes , all three holes with two permanent baskets, and a new practice basket. :thmbup::thmbup:

I heard they were only gonna do the IO 18 for now and put the rest in after the tourney; definitely playing this the Sunday before I leave Cincy. Kinda bummed I won't be staying around for it but I'll get to watch at the HOFC. So stoked to watch this tournament on Jomez though, Idle is gonna be gorgeous and the pros are gonna have fits :D

I would think this event will get a good showing of top pros. Ledgestone is 2 weeks before and a NT event in Pittsburg is the week after. Seems like a natural migration for them to move east after ledgestone. Also, there is a Btier in Indianapolis between ledge and Idle that would make for a good stop to kill off a week...

You da man Brutal came here for a shameless plug and you took care of that for me.

Checkered Flag open in Indianapolis dates are 08/12-08/13 we are on discgolfscene.com, 2k added cash to open and a sick players pack for all ams paid for by our sponsors, 100% payout to all fields.

play ledgestone, come to indy play the CFO and then hit up Idlewild

i have some non tourney player friends that were wondering if there is a flymart or vendors will be set up? they have never experienced their money flying every which way out of their pocket at a flymart.

i know its a pro tour event so wasn't sure.

Well to throw a good shot on that hole, you pretty much have to go thru the Y anyway. For most of the guys I wouldn't see there being a problem(In fact that is one of the holes I want to spot on just to see them get some 2s...). Though its far enough from the tee if you don't get a clean release it will get you.

The year Dion Arlyn, Doss, and Avery came in for the BGO none of them made it past the first bridge the second round.

I also don't see it being a problem for everyone, but it's definitely possible.

The year Dion Arlyn, Doss, and Avery came in for the BGO none of them made it past the first bridge the second round.

I also don't see it being a problem for everyone, but it's definitely possible.

Last time the Herd was there, I was my own partner and missed both drives. Then missed it on the first re-tee, before piping a really nice one down around the corner. Then I threw OB going for the green lol.

There's a discussion on the local FB group about the appropriate pars for this event. (I know, what is par?)
Doesn't matter much, technically, but there will be some monster "under" scores using these pars. If I may be so bold, here is my prediction for:
Hole,
Caddie book par,
Number I believe you will have to shoot, just to be in the top 2/3rds of Open on that hole, and
Best players' potential on that hole...

H C N B
1st 4 3 2
2nd 4 4 heroic 2
3rd 3 3 2
4th 4 3 2
5th 4 3 heroic 2
6th 3 3 2
7th 4 4 heroic 3
8th 4 4? maybe heroic 3 (doubtful)
9th 3 3 maybe an ace?
10th 3 3 heroic 2
11th 3 2 definitely an ace
12th 4 4 3
13th 3 3? heroic 2?
14th 4 3? 3
15th 4 4 maybe 3?
16th 5 4 heroic 3?
17th 3 3 heroic 2
18th 4 4 heroic 3?
Total 66 60

Was surprised to see hole 6 ( will be no8 for this tourney) was only a par 4...

When you have pro distance and accuracy, it's open enough now to get past the "mortal" landing zone and then throw a sky anny out into 1s fairway to park it for birdie. That's how Will and Feldberg did it for KY Doubles when they were in town.

what hole is the double mando hole on a normal day?

Not sure there is one. 5 (7 for this event) used to make you go over the top if you had the arm or play to a couple landing zones, but that's opened up considerably. It also was never technically a mando. 6 (8 for this event) had a mando because it runs next to 1s fairway, but it's been gone for a few years too.

Last edited:
Absolutely can't wait to see the pros crush the course that kicked my behind. Thanks for the constant updates Brutus!!

Follow up to earlier... given decent weather, I can realistically see the leaders shooting around 52 strokes per round (-14, based on the caddy book), and the middle of the pack players will be 8 or so strokes behind.
I still would like to see them do it on this course! :thmbup:
(Starting a new job, so I can't get out there til Saturday). :(

Work is over-rated. Unfortunately, I passed my surprise piss test Thursday. So, I won't be able to troll the field using an alias at Idlewild.

Latest posts