• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

No idea how Innova structures it, but in my experience, "Captain" is 50% honorary and 50% an extra conduit for the team members to communicate with the sponsor. He might be tasked with pushing team social media stuff or organizing team dinners or team rounds at a tournament, or nothing significant at all. Not really unlike a captain on a baseball or football team. Don't think it means extra pay and certainly it doesn't automatically mean the company is saying "this is our best/flagship/most important player".

Sounds like Nate would be a great fit. Probably a better one than Paul.

The main reason I wouldn't expect Paul to leave is the fact that he was so close to winning worlds this year. He accomplished everything else. I expect he will be working overtime next season. EO, Worlds. These are definitely on the top of his mind.

Sounds like Nate would be a great fit. Probably a better one than Paul.

The main reason I wouldn't expect Paul to leave is the fact that he was so close to winning worlds this year. He accomplished everything else. I expect he will be working overtime next season. EO, Worlds. These are definitely on the top of his mind.

Not sure how almost winning worlds makes him want to switch? I still think it has to do with him wanting to work towards growing his brand and being able to live off of disc golf once he is done playing.

Not sure how almost winning worlds makes him want to switch? I still think it has to do with him wanting to work towards growing his brand and being able to live off of disc golf once he is done playing.

i got awesome land in michigan ill let him and discraft develop solely for golf lmao

Thanks. Still no Krait. And again I'm not claiming no one does it but imo it's a small percentage of ALL people that play disc golf.

All is the key word. I am sure within the cozy confines of DGCR and the realm of tournament players, name recognition sells some discs. But, this is a sliver of disc golfers. Most players around the world probably have never heard of any pro.

uh...I guarantee McBeth has moved a ton of Rocs for Innova, regardless if his name is on them or not. And Innova knows this.... he ain't going anywhere.

The Roc was a great selling disc long before McBeth picked up a disc.

I wonder if Innova feels Nate moves, or could move, just as much product for them as Paul. Interesting.

Sexton's commentator role with Jomez is one of the most powerful marketing tools Innova has. Nate is always selling, and like the best salesmen, people don't even seem to realize it's happening.

If McBeth does go to Discraft, they should hook up with CCDG as their main sponsor, and have Doss in the commentator role that Sexton has with Jomez.

For this strategy to be effective, the company has to consistently have their guys on lead cards. Not a problem for Innova, but a big problem, right now, for Discraft. But if Discraft can add McBeth and a couple other top guys, they should be good to go.

Post produced video, if done right, is marketing gold.

^^^Couldn't agree more.
A lot of people in this thread are talking about athletic talent and contract dollars.

These manufacturers are looking at these guys as assets (marketing channels, sales tools, & brand ambassadors).
The industry/sport is changing. A lot of opinions in this thread seem based on historical logic, which is part of the equation, but not all of it.

As the sport evolves, so must the mentality surrounding sponsorship, sales, and marketing.

I visited a disc golf store yesterday, got to talking with the owner. I asked about his stock of Z Forces. He said, "the real question is, does Mcbeth like the Force?"

It turns out he was told by his Innova sales rep that Paul is indeed getting picked up by Discraft. Nobody can talk because contract is through January 1st.

I believe this guy 75% I guess, but it's the only real chatter I've heard beyond the speculative interwebs.

Sounds like someone was trying to sell you some Z Forces.

So Uli is a free agent. . . what does that actually mean? Does that mean he just hasn't resigned with Prodigy yet? Is he out with Prodigy? Is he just shopping around?

Forgive my ignorance to this questions, I really have no idea how contracting of disc golf pros works.

Once he's done playing? In like 20 years?

No doubt Paul is focused on growing his brand because it directly correlates to how many dollars a sponsor will pay him today. Let's not pretend that Paul is anything but lazer focused on winning majors. He's the most competitive guy on tour.

Last edited:
Once he's done playing? In like 20 years?

No doubt Paul is focused on growing his brand because it directly correlates to how many dollars a sponsor will pay him today. Let's not pretend that Paul is anything but lazer focused on winning majors. He's the most competitive guy on tour.

he has said multiple times this year he is looking to build his course and make it a world class place for the tours to stop. Im not saying hes done playing but I see him wanting to focus on that as well as his wife and a family. This is all speculation so nothing I say is supported by facts!

So Uli is a free agent. . . what does that actually mean? Does that mean he just hasn't resigned with Prodigy yet? Is he out with Prodigy? Is he just shopping around?

Forgive my ignorance to this questions, I really have no idea how contracting of disc golf pros works.

Technically speaking, nearly everyone is a free agent every year as most sponsorship contracts are year-to-year. There's only a few exceptions that I'm aware of, including McBeth doing a 3-year deal (that apparently expires this year) and I think the initial Prodigy team were all on 2-year deals. Obviously some players have stakes in companies (Schusterick, for example) that would make changing companies more complicated, but by and large, players are free to move where ever they want at the end of each year. Of course, companies are in the same position in terms of moving on from players as well.

What are the responsibilities of a captain though? Is Paul the current Captain? Not that it isn't great to see Nate getting some well-deserved recognition, but the position of Captain is not completely advertised.

Well, you get a "C" on your jersey, and...gee, I don't know.

I always thought, like for the Bruin's Zdeno Chara, it meant that he could do more pullups than everyone else on the team.
I wonder how many pullups Nate Sexton can do? :p

I feel like losing Uli would be a pretty significant blow to Prodigy. Conversely, he'd be a great add for every other company. Few people in my area throw Prodigy discs, but there seems to have been renewed interest following Uli's performance at the Delaware Disc Golf Challenge, combined with his commentary presence on Jomez (I maintain that Uli is my absolute favorite commentator, even though he lacks some of Sexton's polish).

he has said multiple times this year he is looking to build his course and make it a world class place for the tours to stop. Im not saying hes done playing but I see him wanting to focus on that as well as his wife and a family. This is all speculation so nothing I say is supported by facts!

Agree. I would find it hard to believe that any player is choosing disc golf touring as a career path. Perhaps he is interested in building a career around disc golf, but touring and playing as a job, does not seem like a long term thing. I would assume he is looking to settle down and find a way to make a living. I don't think there are many that don't support themselves with some kind of work. The lucky ones start manufacturing discs, teach or build an ancillary disc golf support service or product.

If McBeth does go to Discraft, they should hook up with CCDG as their main sponsor, and have Doss in the commentator role that Sexton has with Jomez.

I agree that this sounds like a good idea, but I don't see Nate (Doss) willing to put in the extra time and commit to commentating. He missed World's this year to push his own business, I don't know him by any stretch, but I imagine he already has his plate full. It would be cool if this happened though.

I'd like to see something more on this than a post on a disc golf forum. I understand you stay current with disc golf happenings but I'd still like to see where that stat/info came from.

It came from the inside, it's not published anywhere. Feel free to be as skeptical as you need to under those circumstances, I don't blame you. When I'm sitting in circles with people above my pay grade, I can't really stop them and ask them to write it down so I can share it with the world ya know ;)

...all I can do is decide when to share interesting tidbits, and when to keep my mouth shut about what I've heard.