• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] 2020 Dynamic Discs Business Strategy

It's just tribalism of another form. People have a need to belong to something greater than themselves.

I think most people are looking in the wrong direction, but to each their own, as long as it doesn't affect me directly.

That may be what rubs me wrong about the whole thing. I have enough of an anti establishment streak that I have disdain for that mentality.

I have rarely been able to be a part of a club and even have a hard time staying active in the PDGA because it seems to imply that you tacitly agree with their direction, and if you disagree or push a different agenda you are shunned by the herd.

Y'all complaining about DC limited runs do know that their stock Z and ESP runs are p. Great and
always available, right?

Who decided it would be a good idea to choose a naming convention based on a broken criminal justice/law enforcement system?

Bingo!
This is what I was avoiding saying so as to not stir up politics.

Although I would have used words like kidnappers and phycopaths

At least I can tell a DD disc name apart from other brands. Discmania and Prodigy might as well be the same company. FaD3x? No thanks.

For what it's worth I'm not a fan of DD's naming system but I can tell what it is without a chart.

For what it's worth I'm not a fan of DD's naming system but I can tell what it is without a chart.

Discmania's system isn't hard to figure out and actually tells you something about the disc:

P=putter
M=midrange
_D=driver (with the letter in the blank telling you what kind of driver it is)
Then the number telling you the relative stability level

DD's naming system requires you to look up every disc to know what it is. If you are new to the game you have to look at a chart to see what all the names mean.

Discmania's system is much simpler and more informative.

Y'all complaining about DC limited runs do know that their stock Z and ESP runs are p. Great and
always available, right?

I have a ****-ton of stock ESP and Z discs. Go find me a max weight JB Roach, preferably in black. Then tell me how many Lunas they've sold while JB Roaches have been out of stock.

Discmania's system isn't hard to figure out and actually tells you something about the disc:

P=putter
M=midrange
_D=driver (with the letter in the blank telling you what kind of driver it is)
Then the number telling you the relative stability level

DD's naming system requires you to look up every disc to know what it is. If you are new to the game you have to look at a chart to see what all the names mean.

Discmania's system is much simpler and more informative.

Except then they pitch it as the "Iron Razor Hook II" and you look for the small print to finally figure out that it's just an destroyer clone in swirly greenish-brown camouflage star plastic.

A name is just a name to me. I don't care what the disc is called.

As far as business strategy is concerned, I would guess that if DD's disc lineup were created today that they likely would go with a different naming convention. But you have to keep in mind that their first discs were approved back in 2012, which was only a decade removed from 9/11. We had a much more pro-police/pro-military/pro-firefighters culture at the time. It likely never occurred to them that naming discs as a tip of the cap to law enforcement would be "political" only 8 years later.

You'd have to look up literally every other manufacturer too. What TDx or an H3V2? That's my point. Or a Malta or Daedalus or Apache or Ra?

A name is just a name to me. I don't care what the disc is called.

As far as business strategy is concerned, I would guess that if DD's disc lineup were created today that they likely would go with a different naming convention. But you have to keep in mind that their first discs were approved back in 2012, which was only a decade removed from 9/11. We had a much more pro-police/pro-military/pro-firefighters culture at the time. It likely never occurred to them that naming discs as a tip of the cap to law enforcement would be "political" only 8 years later.

I guess I'd always assumed it was an old west theme.

I don't agree with this at all.

Imagine someone new to disc golf. How do you explain to them how to tell if a DD disc is a putter, midrange, driver. They have to look it up on a chart or list. How can they tell which is more stable between a Judge and a Warden? They have to look it up.

Now look at how the Discmania system is consistent and tells you not only what class of disc it is, but also the relative stability.

Which is more stable, P1 or P2? Oh, the bigger number. That makes sense. Now I know that a P3 is a more stable disc than the ones with smaller numbers. Oh, and since it is a "P" then I also know it is a putter without having to look it up.

If a P5 is ever released, you already know it is 1) a putter and 2) higher in stability.

If DD releases a new disc and tells you the name, you have no idea what kind of disc it is or how stable it is.

Edit: All bets are off for the special signature editions. But then again it is the same with DD.

Last edited:
Discmania and Prodigy naming system both break down. It takes a minimum of 4 numbers to describe the flight ( maybe not the common 4 numbers, but 4 numbers still)

Or as I have seen in real life...
"Why is my D3 more stable than my D2?"

Imagine someone new to disc golf. How do you explain to them how to tell if a DD disc is a putter, midrange, driver. They have to look it up on a chart or list. How can they tell which is more stable between a Judge and a Warden? They have to look it up.

Now look at how the Discmania system is consistent and tells you not only what class of disc it is, but also the relative stability.

Which is more stable, P1 or P2? Oh, the bigger number. That makes sense. Now I know that a P3 is a more stable disc than the ones with smaller numbers. Oh, and since it is a "P" then I also know it is a putter without having to look it up.

If a P5 is ever released, you already know it is 1) a putter and 2) higher in stability.

If DD releases a new disc and tells you the name, you have no idea what kind of disc it is or how stable it is.

This is patently false

Exhibit A: P3X is not more stable than a P2 but by your view of the naming convention it would be

Which is more stable or faster the PD or the PDx? How, without looking it up would you know what the X means? It could mean it's slower, or less stable, or, if you are familiar with a P3X you may assume the PDx is just a flatter version of the PD

And just to build on it...all Innova discs...nothing in their naming convention would allow you to know the differences in the discs without looking it up

Latest posts