• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] 2020 Dynamic Discs Business Strategy

I heart DD. Minority? Don't much care. I like a lot of their molds, Lucid plastic is the bees knees, they aren't trying to capitalize on The Who's-who (discraft... I don't much care if it is working for them, either; kudos. I've been throwing the undertaker longer than PMcB, and I don't even have one with his name on it!), they try to push media content out for those who like that kind of stuff (if you don't... dont watch it?), I dig the tour series discs and plastics (Felons and Verdicts), etc.

Traditionalists/Whoever can hate, that's fine. I think the world has more hate than it needs, though. So it is good that, for those that pay attention to these things, they seem to be coping with the times (virus related or not).

DD wants to grow the sport, and it shows. That's what I appreciates about yous.

DD inspires a fair amount of hatred due to their enthusiastically aggressive marketing, but that hatred feels uncomfortably juvenile and cliquish.

I regularly read criticisms of Swedish plastic on these pages, but I never hear those criticisms from the players with whom I play, and we throw alot of trilogy plastic. We are a noodle armed bunch, and I think Trilogy has the best collection of understable drivers. We may be weak, but we greatly outnumber you people throwing 500'+. So making discs for us doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Flashing, occasionally but nothing I haven't experienced with discs from other manufacturers.

Durability, not an issue. Does it break in faster than Champion? Absolutely, isn't that an advantage if you like to cycle discs?

Flight numbers? The numbers are mostly accurate relative to their other discs with some notable exceptions. However, I am yet to see a Roadrunner with a -4 turn and that doesn't seem to bother anybody.

DD inspires a fair amount of hatred due to their enthusiastically aggressive marketing, but that hatred feels uncomfortably juvenile and cliquish.

I regularly read criticisms of Swedish plastic on these pages, but I never hear those criticisms from the players with whom I play, and we throw alot of trilogy plastic. We are a noodle armed bunch, and I think Trilogy has the best collection of understable drivers. We may be weak, but we greatly outnumber you people throwing 500'+. So making discs for us doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Flashing, occasionally but nothing I haven't experienced with discs from other manufacturers.

Durability, not an issue. Does it break in faster than Champion? Absolutely, isn't that an advantage if you like to cycle discs?

Flight numbers? The numbers are mostly accurate relative to their other discs with some notable exceptions. However, I am yet to see a Roadrunner with a -4 turn and that doesn't seem to bother anybody.

found the team trilogy apologist

Our club is running a Trilogy Challenge in a couple weeks. We are a medium to small city and disc golf region but we have 77 signed up already. We took a chance and ordered 100 players packs because if you do Dynamic ships you a free Marksman basket which we are raffling off among everyone who signs up. Something like 45 of those 77 players don't have a PDGA number.

Players get 3 discs and chances to win CTPs, giftcards and a new basket for $35 dollars.
Dynamic gets their discs in the hands of lots of new players and certainly doesn't lose any money on the disc sales.
Our club will make $1,000 in profit to go to course improvements.

Everybody wins.

Also, someone mentioned Discmania, I LOVE that Neo plastic and those two molds, the Instinct and Essence are legit.

Agreed on that it seems like every new innova disc has been a flop. People know what molds are great and just want them to make them in great plastic and when they do people go nuts for them. DD I think has the beginner market and that is slightly shown by the amount of lost discs that are found are trilogy plastic with innova right behind them. Trilogy made such a huge splash a few years ago and it seems like their fire has died down a lot. I'm not even excited to watch the pro tour event this weekend in Emporia at the Country Club. It's the most boring disc golf to watch so it just puts DD more negatively in my mind.

I run a league and drop off turned-in discs at my local brick and mortar shop. That means I get to watch dispassionately what new discs sell, since the new/featured rack is right next to the lost & found.

Generally the limited run Trilogy stuff (like -X plastic, or the first run Chameleon Sapphires) seem to move pretty quickly. Not as quickly as the new Discraft/PMcB stuff, which is typically bought out on release by local scalpers and resellers and sold on Facebook groups. But Trilogy's new releases, most of which are now just new plastics for already popular molds, do seem to move faster than most new Innova releases. The First Run Lions, for instance, sat on the rack for months.

The one thing they seem to do that I don't understand, though, is insist on delivering high demand discs in low demand colors. When the AJ Risley Lucid-X Wardens showed up, over half of them were that dark purple nobody wants. They ended up selling the other colors within a couple of days, but as of last week they still had almost all the purple on the racks. The exact same thing ended up happening with the VIP-X Glimmer Harps and the First Run Sapphires. DD/Lat64 has to know most people who will spend extra for a limited run disc want it in a color they can find. I don't get it.

Also, someone mentioned Discmania, I LOVE that Neo plastic and those two molds, the Instinct and Essence are legit.

That was me. They might be good discs but for me personally they would never be given the chance since their plastic is just too grippy for my liking so in my mind it weakens Discmania brand. Along with them bringing in Yikun who used to be salient which also weakens their image to me. But we all have opinions. Discmanias needs weren't being met by innova alone so they felt the need to branch out and it seemed to work out pretty great for them.

Discmania - capitalizes on the popularity of the Smash Bros with sales of pro-level molds to good players. Trying to break into the new player market with new product lines. Still not big enough to manufacture its own discs, so relies on multiple manufacturers to bring its products to market.

Why should they manufacture discs if they can produce them by subcontractors or colloboration? The investment to production lines and molds are huge. I'd say they have chosen wisely. Just design and sell the discs, let other produce them.

I picked up recently some molds in that purdy pink glimmer opto/lucid-x plastic (Truth, Fuse, Pure, Saint, Fury) and they're mighty fine discs, super easy to spot in the woods too.

Prolly gonna pick up some more in the future, glimmer lucid-x Escape would be interesting

Team Trilogy apologist. Plastics bad. They do too much social media. Their pro's are fake. Dudes and Dudettes, really? (should just say dudes).
I can name a list of DD's pro's, Lat's pro's and WS pro's who don't seem fake, I've met Tina O, shoot, I live in her hometown. Down to earth, took a moment out of her day last year to sign a travel mug for me. Was a sweetheart, to both me and my wife, taking a moment from her own personal life, having just finished seeing her mom, whom is also great!. I've learned more by watching Danny and his video's than I've ever gotten by any of my local "hardcore" Innova and Dickcraft junkies. I've gotten the "I don't know what to tell you bro, I've never used trilogy, don't know their plastic". Even though my form and my grip and my cross step has nothing to do with whatever plastic I was throwing. I won't even play leagues due to the douchiness of the group in my local town.
I've invested a good spot of money in this sport, and I've felt I've gotten the best return on that investment. Call me a fanboi, I've got about 70 disc's total, and I'll say this, nothing but the good Swedish stuff from me, and it'll stay that way.
There's nobody else that slags on this stuff except all the major other brand supporters. The second someone says something about all your TOP 2 or TOP3, Discmania? Come on, Innova makes that and makes Infinite....
I keep my mouth shut about a lot of stuff, but ya'll got me triggered with this garbage. "Oh we'll just make another disc for eagle and we'll call Sky God Cloudcatcher Claw, all the smash twins fanboi's will eat that up..." Just leave it alone....
Dickcraft. When was the last time anyone on here ran they're own Disc manufacturer? Snobs. Your all starting to sound like Ball golfers....
/rant

Oh, I am a mixed bag guy, I don't support a single manufacturer. Again, it is the image, that the apologists are supporting, that helps to keep me away from DD forever.

I really don't give a flip about any pro DD has, positive or negative; that is not an issue.

On the other hand, you do not fit the image that turns me off. You are always very professional in all your interactions.

More so than I normally am.

Iconcheers.gif

Yeah, I definitely don't understand what "image" Rusco and DD portray that people don't like. That to me sounds like basically saying you don't think the brand is cool, which is fine. But just a little ironic that DD haters often lament the DD fanboys, but then make a conscious decision of what to throw based on brand image.

Personally, I support brands based on how their discs feel and fly for me, and how consistent their product is. The brand's image is way down the priority list. I throw a mixed bag but have more DD and Westside than anything else because of that criteria.

To me it seems like DD have cooled down a bit with their cultist approach. Discraft is the real cult in 2020 IMO

100%, its funny to see so many people just follow whatever McBeth and Co do and think that its the best thing in the world. People really just need to find what works and stick with it. Discraft makes great discs and plastic so its not like they dont have a lot to offer but everybody has a lot to offer.

Discraft is the real cult in 2020 IMO

Ain't that the truth. I was a bit of a Discraft fanboy when I started playing about 4 years ago. My enthusiasm has certainly wained with their recent strategy of limited runs with jacked up prices.

I guess the nimrods paying $200 for black 4X Zones have replaced my enthusiasm and then some. I can't really fault McBeth or Discraft for cashing in but I'm not a fan.

My Z flx Zone saved me a couple strokes in my mini yesterday evening. I got it for $10 in a used bin.

100%, its funny to see so many people just follow whatever McBeth and Co do and think that its the best thing in the world. People really just need to find what works and stick with it. Discraft makes great discs and plastic so its not like they dont have a lot to offer but everybody has a lot to offer.

I will never understand this.

I will never understand this.

Me neither, I know he can crush that Luna 400+ but I also know there is no way I can do that. Why bother buying them when they are expensive and won't fly as well for my style as what I have?

Latest posts