• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 DGLO

Why was Simon's play on 16 so awful? It was a crazy throw. Something few could replicate. A unique situation/opportunity that Simon recognized and took advantage of.

Isn't creativity desirable in sports?
From a practical standpoint, the throw was exciting, unexpected, not "unsafe" and didn't violate any rules (like say a foot fault). It was a high risk shot under the circumstances and the group could have marked his shot going OB way left if they didn't think his shot crossed the OB past the basket. If anything, Nate H should have chuckled like he knew that crazy shot was a "cheat code" if someone discovered it looking like a clever designer.

I've had a cheat code design where a player could pitch forward 80 feet off the tee (if they discovered it and had the power) and risk throwing a grenade over the top, to potentially land on the green and not in the woods, rather than throw the "designed" shot through a tunnel to set up a birdie 3 on a par 4.

On hole 16 at European Open where AB made several rethrows, the more obvious "cheat code", but only for a player with a lead like Simon, was to "waste" a pitch forward on his second throw to get a much shorter and easier shot to the green once your chaser playing before you had burned a shot with a rethrow and wasn't going to birdie.

From a practical standpoint, the throw was exciting, unexpected, not "unsafe" and didn't violate any rules (like say a foot fault). It was a high risk shot under the circumstances and the group could have marked his shot going OB way left if they didn't think his shot crossed the OB past the basket. If anything, Nate H should have chuckled like he knew that crazy shot was a "cheat code" if someone discovered it looking like a clever designer.

I've had a cheat code design where a player could pitch forward 80 feet off the tee (if they discovered it and had the power) and risk throwing a grenade over the top, to potentially land on the green and not in the woods, rather than throw the "designed" shot through a tunnel to set up a birdie 3 on a par 4.

On hole 16 at European Open where AB made several rethrows, the more obvious "cheat code", but only for a player with a lead like Simon, was to "waste" a pitch forward on his second throw to get a much shorter and easier shot to the green once your chaser playing before you had burned a shot with a rethrow and wasn't going to birdie.

I don't remember the tourney, seemed like beginning of this year, where instead of going for the dog leg, McBeth pitched 70 feet off the tee, then threw a low screaming hyzer through a gap in the trees into the OB area, seemingly past spectators AND a portable toilet, then through the woods again back in bounds and ended up with a circle 2 putt.

Kinda crazy, but fun to watch also.

I don't remember the tourney, seemed like beginning of this year, where instead of going for the dog leg, McBeth pitched 70 feet off the tee, then threw a low screaming hyzer through a gap in the trees into the OB area, seemingly past spectators AND a portable toilet, then through the woods again back in bounds and ended up with a circle 2 putt.

Kinda crazy, but fun to watch also.
Yes, that was hole 17 Open at Austin. He was out of position on his putt from the tee to then go over the top like at least one or two other players tried. So, he went for a different shot where he landed barely IB outside the woods. Then, his third shot was the crazy one over the top and dropped near the basket where he saved the par putt.

What went down there? On the live stream Luke appeared to make his tee time when he was announced and landed in bounds. He scored a 7 on that first hole (par +4). Not sure what happened there.
Someone can chime in with the actual rule since I couldn't find it, but there is a new rule on this. You must be present at the tee before anyone on your group tees off. Even if you are 4th in the order, if you show up after the first player tees, you get par+4. I don't really care for the rule, especially since it gets subjectively enforced.

Paraphrasing what I heard from someone near tourney central - Humphries was given a 7 on 1 for being late to the pad because apparently he wasn't in the teeing area for hole 1 at the end of 2 minutes (the start of the round for the card) despite the fact that they were letting FPO tee on 18, and he made it back to the teeing area apparently as he was called to tee off.

Sounds like the way it was applied was correct, although if Humphries was present and left while FPO teed off or something else like that happens I don't know how that applies, I don't know the whole story, just trying to figure out why Humphries was going at Heinold for it since the rules seem clear there.

But it sounds like he said he was going to rip Heinold on social media, so we'll see what details I'm (probably) missing?

Paraphrasing what I heard from someone near tourney central - Humphries was given a 7 on 1 for being late to the pad because apparently he wasn't in the teeing area for hole 1 at the end of 2 minutes (the start of the round for the card) despite the fact that they were letting FPO tee on 18, and he made it back to the teeing area apparently as he was called to tee off.

Sounds like the way it was applied was correct, although if Humphries was present and left while FPO teed off or something else like that happens I don't know how that applies, I don't know the whole story, just trying to figure out why Humphries was going at Heinold for it since the rules seem clear there.

But it sounds like he said he was going to rip Heinold on social media, so we'll see what details I'm (probably) missing?
Where do the rules indicate you have to be present before anyone tees? I don't see it in 1.05 (Beginning Play). It makes sense that you should have to be there at that point but I don't see it codified.

Where do the rules indicate you have to be present before anyone tees? I don't see it in 1.05 (Beginning Play). It makes sense that you should have to be there at that point but I don't see it codified.
Reading through 1.05 gets you linked to 811 for this particular situation, which further clarifies under misplays.

In the past DGLO has positioned a couple volunteers, whose only job was parking lot / practice area running, to round up pros, who can't be bothered or need adult supervisions, to get to their tee time. Literally running around reminding them they were up next. And....it is not as easy as is sounds, some honestly are not convinced rules apply to them. I wonder if Humphries will let us know why he cannot get to the tee area with a minute or two to spare?

In the past DGLO has positioned a couple volunteers, whose only job was parking lot / practice area running, to round up pros, who can't be bothered or need adult supervisions, to get to their tee time. Literally running around reminding them they were up next. And....it is not as easy as is sounds, some honestly are not convinced rules apply to them. I wonder if Humphries will let us know why he cannot get to the tee area with a minute or two to spare?
I just can't understand why he'd make a commotion unless there was something weird going on - like he was there when they were supposed to start, but ran off to take a wiz or something while the FPO tee'd on 18 and got back just in time for his name to be called to tee? Not saying that'd be allowed under the rules, haven't looked... but its just weird that he'd say he was gonna rake Heinold over something basic and obvious under the rules?

Maybe I'm giving Humphries too much credit, just because he looks more like an adult now without the audacious facial hair. ("He changed his facial hair! Must be a sign of maturity!" - my brain, probably)

I'd rather talk about the 4 strokes Calvin gained from canning two 300' throw-ins (on #'s 6 and 10), than the 4 strokes Humphries lost showing up a couple minutes later than he should have. 🫤

Calvin sure made things interesting for a while.:)

What's the official definition of "present"?
I would assume, based on 1.05.D, that it is being "at their starting hole." But this is somewhat indirect, it really isn't defined anywhere in a clear manner.

Never have played the course, are the tees for 1 and 18 fairly close?

To me at least I think I'd have some leniency if he was at the tee ahead of time, and ran over to 18 real quick to watch the FPO card throw, and made it back before his shot but after 2 minutes had expired.

That might not be what happened though. Dude could've just been late and thought he was ok if he got there before his turn and is trying to be salty even though he didn't know the correct rules.

When in doubt blame it on explosive diarrhea, people tend to let things slide in that case.

Never have played the course, are the tees for 1 and 18 fairly close?

To me at least I think I'd have some leniency if he was at the tee ahead of time, and ran over to 18 real quick to watch the FPO card throw, and made it back before his shot but after 2 minutes had expired.

That might not be what happened though. Dude could've just been late and thought he was ok if he got there before his turn and is trying to be salty even though he didn't know the correct rules.

When in doubt blame it on explosive diarrhea, people tend to let things slide in that case.
1 and 18 run parallel to each other, on either side of the wooden Toboggan tracks. The FPO drives on 18 land about 30 feet from the tee pad for 1.

Latest posts