• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3rd session

MarkTew

Out again this morning for my 3rd session and again was much more consistent. I did have a problem with getting the nose up too much but my worst throws from each set were better than last weeks worst throws.

Instead of only getting one to 200ft, I got a few. 214ft is the new best with a lightweight Archangel.

Still struggling to generate power through the turn and arm speed.

A lot of fun though!!.

Keep at it and you'll get better. I was horrible when I started out but enjoyed it and stuck with it and now, years later, I am no longer horrible. I'm just generally bad now. Still enjoying it though.

Yeah keep at it. I found that sometimes small changes helped a lot. Moving my thumb to a different position in the grip or concentrating on keeping my wrist angles down, etc would help me improve slowly but surely. Each time out I would try to implement/alter something that I thought was holding me back and see if and how it improved my distance or accuracy or whatever I was trying to lock in.

You should create one thread "MarkTew's Disc Golf Journal" (or whatever) that way all of your posts and user's comments are in one section and could end up being a valuable resource of information for yourself or others. Instead of all the posts/comments being spread out over several threads. ;)

Not sure there is such as thing a "normal" for disc golf. Age, health, build, etc, etc, are sooo variable. But there could be things normal for you and your situation. How old are you? Any physical limitations? I read you are a big guy as well, I'm pushing 60 out of shape (badly again after a year off) but what helps me throw decent is trying to stay loose, flexible, etc. Stretching is huge in this sport.

I can't stress enough how important it is imop at this stage to stop focusing on disc selection. A basic starter pack from any manufacture is all you need, for the first few months or so, maybe longer. Just get out there have some fun and throw, throw, throw. However....if you're one of those guys that takes it seriously early on and really wants to jump start the learning curve and muscle memory, then I would suggest throwing nothing but your putter(s). Learn to throw putters level, straight and not too high. If you keep at it (3-5 sessions a week, each session 1-2 hours) you'll be surprised how far you can throw your putters. Then you can start throwing your mid ranges, etc. Final tip... take at least 1 lesson from a local pro. It will help put all the basics together and jump start...everything.