• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on new discs to take my game up a notch

Hi all,

I'm new here, and fairly new to the sport. I'm an ultimate player for a long time, but just picked up disc golf this summer. I started out with an Innova DX starter set (Leopard, Shark, Aviar) and have accumulated some more stuff I'll list below. Going into Christmas, I'm asking for some new discs to being my game up.

About my game:
- I'm most comfortable throwing RHBH, though I can through RHFH or hammers when the shot calls for it.
- I can throw a mid about 200-220. My drivers can go up to 350ish, though usually around 300.
- I'm generally shooting 10-12 over par at my worst for 18 holes. Best round is 7 over, so I'm pretty consistent.

Here's my bag and what I'm currently doing with them (I play all Innova and would like to stay that way - I'm brand loyal):

Speed 11 (I currently don't go any higher)
- Champ Mamba: I started using this just for.longer drives since I'm a bit weaker player, but I'm starting to be able to turn this over, so now I'm using it for turnover drives and eventually learning the roller
- DX Wraith (beat in): this was my first distance driver. I use it now for big hyzer up shots and some hyzer tee shots. Since its beat, it holds an anny line pretty well, so sometimes I'll use it for longer anny shots.

Speed 10
- Pro Starfire: this is becoming my go-to driver since I've started turning the Mamba over and my Wraith is beat in. I throw it for all drives I don't need to turn over a lot and also all forehand drives.

Speed 6
- DX Leopard (beat in): still from my starter set. I use this exclusively for anny shots. I've gotten very good at an RHBH anny short floating up shot. It's my anny mid-range disc.

Speed 5
- Pro Skeeter: I liked the utility of my friend's Buzzz, and my starter discs were getting beat up, so I picked this up. I use this for pretty much any mid-range shot that isn't a big anny or a big hyzer.

Speed 4
- DX Shark (beat in): still from my starter set. It's been downgraded to my hyzer mid-range disc only.

Speed 2
- Star Aviar: I ditched my DX Aviar for this. I like it for putting and am learning to throw this for shorter hyzer up shots, though I'm still.more comfortable with the Skeeter for straighter shots.

Discs I'm thinking about adding:

- Star Teebird: I'm eventually going to need something for distances between my Starfire and Skeeter. Plus I think this could replace my DX Wraith (along with the Roc3) for longer hyzer up shots.
- Champ Roc3: My Shark is about dead, and I think my arm is up to throwing the Roc3 now. Should be a better RHFH disc, too?
- Star Destroyer: I might not be quite strong enough yet to throw a 13 speed disc, but I'm getting there. I feel like this could replace my Starfire as a go to driver once I get comfortable with the speed.
- Star Katana: Again, Speed 13, but once I can handle it, it should be a better turnover driver than my Mamba, though I can keep that for rollers.

Any thoughts or other advice? Thanks in advance!

Dump the Mamba and Starfire. Get a Star Teebird (or Icon Rival) and a Champ Valk.

Dump the Mamba and Starfire. Get a Star Teebird (or Icon Rival) and a Champ Valk.

The mamba can be a nice roller disc, dont dump it yet.

But yeah, get a teebird and a valkyrie.

Dont touch the katana or destroyer yet. They are discs for people with thte power to throw 400+.

I'd suggest getting a nice set of midranges. I dont trust the skeeter and shark ^^ I would suggest a buzzz and a fuse for the more understable counterpart. If you want to buy only one, get the fuse.

The Teebird and the Roc3 are good choices. I also second the Valkyrie, get one in star, they beat in nicely.

Had a Skeeter at one time, couldn't stand it even though I got my only ace with it (pure luck). Maybe try a Comet, Mako3 or the like.

The Starfire is good for wind, I would keep it for that alone. Skip all the other high speed stuff for now.

I'd also suggest another putter/approach disc, maybe a tweener. Suspect, Pig, Zone, Rhyno or the like. Never thought I would use them much, but my Suspect gets used all the time.

I'd stay under 9 speed until you get the mids or leopard up to 300ft or so. Anything over that and you wont be throwing it fast enough to get the true flight of the disc.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I started thinking about the 12-13s once I started seeing my Mamba turn over hard on me when I keep it low and fast. I get that's what it's kinda supposed to do, but that got me thinking that I might be ready to take that step up soon.

I don't think it's necessarily my strength that prevents me throwing that fast, but more likely form. I have made some 400 foot shots, but I'm not doing it consistently just yet. I've been playing since June and have made some big strides in form since then, but I'm still learning.

Valkyrie sounds like a good idea though. What about a Sidewinder for turnover or "S" type shots if I'm sticking to 9 speed?

I would third (it might be fourth at this point) the Teebird and Valkyrie. Seems like you are past wanting a DX Teebird that most people suggested to me as a beginner.

I had a Star Teebird (that I just lost) and I really liked it. Also have a DX Valkyrie that is my main driver. I am thinking after I beat the snot out of it I will upgrade the plastic.

I know you said you are brand specific but the buzzz just cannot be beat. I have picked up the roc but I do not prefer the bead on it. Tends to catch on my fingers.

Yeah all of my discs in DX plastic are beat in pretty good (guess I hit too many trees...), and I really like the feel of the Star and Champ plastics more.

I messed around with my friend's Buzzz and liked it, but I like my Skeeter just as much. Feels good off of my hand, I feel I can control it really well, and it satisfies my ridiculous brand loyalty with the same flight stats as the Buzzz. He's got a Destroyer and a Katana also that I've thrown reasonably well, but probably not as far as they should be going.

I'll push hard for the wife to get the Teebird and the Roc3. I gave her a prelim list that included the 13s, but I'll see if I can sneak a Star Valkyrie on there, too. I also love my Wraith so I might try to get a new Star Wraith also that might placate my feeling of need for the Destroyer for a while.

It doesn't take much for a Mamba to rollover especially if there is a tiny head wind. It is what it's designed to do and its one of my favorite drivers for its ridiculous glide but you have to be really careful with it.

I'd measure out that 400. I bet you're a lot shorter than you think you are.

Definitely get a teebird in star, gstar, or champ plastic depending on what you prefer.

I'd also think about reworking your mids. Not sure if you like the feel of the bead or not, but I'd add a roc3 for workhorse mid and a mako/atlas (feel is big here).

My buddy has a Roc3 and an Atlas that I've toyed with. I love the Roc3 and will definitely add that. I threw the Atlas, too but I still like my Skeeter better. Might just be one of those things.

I'd agree with the addition of some mids. A Wasp or Drone is a really nice OS mid, and I've got a buddy that lives and dies by his Star Coyote for straight and turnover shots.

Oh, and Champ Valk>Star Valk.

Another very good straight/turnover mid is the Foxbat. Lighter weights are great for turnovers and the heavier weights are amazing gliding straight fliers.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I started thinking about the 12-13s once I started seeing my Mamba turn over hard on me when I keep it low and fast. I get that's what it's kinda supposed to do, but that got me thinking that I might be ready to take that step up soon.

I don't think it's necessarily my strength that prevents me throwing that fast, but more likely form. I have made some 400 foot shots, but I'm not doing it consistently just yet. I've been playing since June and have made some big strides in form since then, but I'm still learning.

Valkyrie sounds like a good idea though. What about a Sidewinder for turnover or "S" type shots if I'm sticking to 9 speed?

i personally throw the sidewinder over the valk. valk is a good idea but sidewinder is my jam, i can tell you all about the if you want, pm me if interested.

I'd just be concerned seeing that your mids are 200-220 with drivers 300 up to 350. I would expect a 30' or so gap between a midrange and a fairway driver, at most 50'. This leads me to believe you may have some torque that the high speed discs can handle and maybe fight during the flight for more distance. This would make me cautious to recommend anything over speed 9.

The Teebird and Valkyrie are great suggestions. The Roc3 is also a great mid. If you have those you should be doing pretty well. My feeling is to not worry about anything over speed 9 until throwing mids 250 and a Teebird 300', but I would rather recommend the Roc3 close to 300' and the Teebird close to 350'. At this point Wraiths/Destroyers should have a more useful flight to play with. It's fine to experiment with fast discs and learn how they feel...just don't use them exclusively and have to throw them with torque or flex shots to get a straight flight. Make sure a Teebird can do straight to fade at 300'+ with a flat throw.

I'd just be concerned seeing that your mids are 200-220 with drivers 300 up to 350. I would expect a 30' or so gap between a midrange and a fairway driver, at most 50'. This leads me to believe you may have some torque that the high speed discs can handle and maybe fight during the flight for more distance. This would make me cautious to recommend anything over speed 9.

The Teebird and Valkyrie are great suggestions. The Roc3 is also a great mid. If you have those you should be doing pretty well. My feeling is to not worry about anything over speed 9 until throwing mids 250 and a Teebird 300', but I would rather recommend the Roc3 close to 300' and the Teebird close to 350'. At this point Wraiths/Destroyers should have a more useful flight to play with. It's fine to experiment with fast discs and learn how they feel...just don't use them exclusively and have to throw them with torque or flex shots to get a straight flight. Make sure a Teebird can do straight to fade at 300'+ with a flat throw.

This sounds like good advice. I have a noodle arm and can throw mids 250-275. Putters around 225'. From your distances something doesn't add up. Work putters, mids, and slow drives until you are sure you have good, clean form. Don't fear the old Teebird and Eagle molds. Grab some cheap DX fairway drivers in the speed 6-8 world and work them until you are really owning them. Grab a Roc, Buzzz, Truth type mid and a Comet or Fuse. Get the Comet or Fuse on a straight line somewhere over 250', preferrably closer to 300' if you are young and agile. Read the discing down and technique threads and stickies. Get a putter off the tee to around 250'. Then worry about speed 9's and up.

Thanks again guys. It could just be that I don't trust my mids to go that far, and they can. For some thing between 220-300, I've been easing up on a 10-11 speed when I could probably try a Skeeter or leopard to get there. Maybe I'll give those (and a new Roc) a whirl at those distances.

To be honest, I was the same way. At some point, you just have to trust that lower speed discs are going to get the results you are looking for. Once you come to that realization, you'll need to put in some real work to get better. Those very occasional 350' throws you're getting now with form-hiding discs will turn into 350' throws with speed 8 discs, and 10x more accurate.

Patience, grasshoppah, patience.

If you like your Wraith, step up to a Pro Wraith.
If you like your Leopard, try a Star Leopard.
OS mids come in handy, so you might also wanna consider a Gator.

Latest posts