• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on new discs to take my game up a notch

To be honest, I was the same way. At some point, you just have to trust that lower speed discs are going to get the results you are looking for. Once you come to that realization, you'll need to put in some real work to get better. Those very occasional 350' throws you're getting now with form-hiding discs will turn into 350' throws with speed 8 discs, and 10x more accurate.

Patience, grasshoppah, patience.

This 100 percent. I've been playing 5 years and am a solid intermediate who can throw 350 max. I recently got rid of all the speed 11 stuff in my bag and started using the Tbird for 75 percent of my drives. I quickly realized I can throw that Tbird 350 feet on way more lines than I could the faster stuff like wraiths. It's a beautiful disc that can do it all. I recommend the Gstar.

I'd recommend a echo star teebird. They seem to have the best glide besides dx. Come straighter out of the box then star I think too. Champ will take a year to season and still be overstable. G star is nice too. I don't think it breaks in fast at all though. And that's kinda what you want in your first premium teebird.

I'd recommend a star mako for form pratice.

I'd recommend a star atlas. It'll start off straight with tiniest fade. The soft star edge breaks in about three months in heavily wooded courses into a mild turnover disc. Mine hasn't changed since and I've used it for over a year. The tiniest hyzer and it still hyzers. I'm waiting for it to break in to a few degree hyzer to straight/ flat moderate turnover disc

If your set on a roc3, I find a star roc3 to break in the easiest.

So basically IMO go with echo star/ stars for your first disc plastics in the molds you want to throw. They have a lot of life but they will season much quicker then champion/ g star. That is a very desirable trait because you want a cycle of your favorite molds.

P.s. I also understand that g star has the worst durability when it comes to hitting a road. I haven't actually hit a road with any of my g stars this is just what I've read. I like my g stars to much.

Last edited:
Work putters, mids, and slow drives until you are sure you have good, clean form. i agree with this, but keep a longer drive on hand just for funsies IMO. all work and no play is no good.

Don't fear the old Teebird and Eagle molds. Grab some cheap DX fairway drivers in the speed 6-8 world and work them until you are really owning them.agree with this the most. at 3-350 max d, a good dx teebird will act nicely stable for you and season into your turning disc. a gstar would season into your straight disc and a star or champ would be your beef. don't fear base plastic. otherwise i say snag an icon patriot.

Grab a Roc, Buzzz, Truth type mid and a Comet or Fuse. Get the Comet or Fuse on a straight line somewhere over 250', preferrably closer to 300' if you are young and agile. .
- also agree.

Of the new discs you're looking at, I have to put in another vote for the Teebird. I usually carry two or three in my bag. If you like the flight, perhaps consider carrying multiples to hit a variety of lines. 'Birds in the star, champ, and glow plastic should be fairly stable (especially when they are around 175 grams). The AJ and Brinster Teebirds are the beefiest I've thrown.

To compliment those, perhaps get a variation (or two). The new T3's are straight-up lasers! I generally use these for long tunnel shots or anhyzer lines. Another good option is the G* plastic. Most everyone on the boards seem to agree that this particular blend is a tick less stable than regular production molds. Keep us posted and best of luck to you!

seems like you are good with your Wraith. I would get a new Wraith. If you are in cold weather, try Gstar. If you are in dry conditions try Star. If you are by rocks or pavement use champion.

You will thank me later.

Newbie here too. Teebird was the first disc I became partial to. Lost my DX TB in a pond and so I used that as an excuse to get a Champion. Recently picked up a used disc that was from an event and found out today it is a G Star TB.

I haven't used a Roc3 (yet) but everyone seems to love it and recommend having one in the bag. I have only had two mids - the Shark that you have (which is in the same pond as the Teebird) and a Champion Mako3.

You throw much further than me, I need to work on my mechanics more.

Newbie here too. Teebird was the first disc I became partial to. Lost my DX TB in a pond and so I used that as an excuse to get a Champion. Recently picked up a used disc that was from an event and found out today it is a G Star TB.

I haven't used a Roc3 (yet) but everyone seems to love it and recommend having one in the bag. I have only had two mids - the Shark that you have (which is in the same pond as the Teebird) and a Champion Mako3.

You throw much further than me, I need to work on my mechanics more.

Can't go wrong with any of that. You'll probably love that new Teebird.

Go for a Roc3 if you want a complement to the Mako3...I imagine if you throw mids up to 250 they should work very well together...Mako for straight and to the right, Roc for a bit to the left and hyzers. As you get more power (Roc3 to 300'ish) it will act like the Mako did for you at 250' but more reliably. It may be similar to the Shark you had.

Can't go wrong with any of that. You'll probably love that new Teebird.

Go for a Roc3 if you want a complement to the Mako3...I imagine if you throw mids up to 250 they should work very well together...Mako for straight and to the right, Roc for a bit to the left and hyzers. As you get more power (Roc3 to 300'ish) it will act like the Mako did for you at 250' but more reliably. It may be similar to the Shark you had.

Yeah, the Teebird line is probably my favorite line and one of the few I have gotten to throw with the different plastics. I was actually thinking about getting some Roc3's as gifts to friends this year. Or at least maybe one friend since I would need to get one myself.

Still working on distance, I could probably reach about 300+ on drives now, haven't tried launching a mid in awhile. Like I (think) I said earlier I don't really use any mids but I know I'm gonna need to start doing that since I'm gradually getting better and more consistent with my throwing.

I like the sound of the Mako3 for both practice and some mid tunnel shots and such - think I'll have to give that a whirl.

I like the sound of the Mako3 for both practice and some mid tunnel shots and such - think I'll have to give that a whirl.

I have also rolled the Mako3 very well... strictly by accident though lol

Last weekend I threw an approach with it, maybe about 60-80 feet out (I know many people use a putter but with the wind and my floppy ass RPro Aviar it just wasn't gonna get done), it landed maybe 40-50 feet way off to the right but rolled RIGHT up to the basket. In fact, the post is what stopped it from rolling.

Since I'm gonna try and play an early morning round tomorrow before work, wife gave me an early Christmas present - Star Teebird and Champ Roc3! I'll give them a whirl tomorrow morning. Thanks again everyone.

Update - got 12 holes in this morning. Played bogey golf which wasn't my best at all (though the course at Kent State usually eats me up), but the Teebird and Roc3 flew very predictably even if I didn't throw them all that well. I played nearly the entire round with them and I can see them growing into go-to discs.

It seems as if we both have the same level of experience, but you're about ten strokes ahead of me on average so you have that going for you.

I just wanted to chime in as someone who also has trouble with form and disc selection. I just started messing with drivers again, and I know somebody told you not to mess with the Katana. I'm actually pretty fond of this disc. It's pretty forgiving and when you get it to ride that perfect line it's a great feeling.

I'm just like you. I love the Innova brand, mainly because the feel of the discs. But trust me, listen to these guys about the Buzzz. I threw a variety of Innova mids and didn't like too many of them. I then got a hold of a D Buzzz and that became my mid of choice. I beat it to death, tried a Buzzz X, didn't like it and gave up. I messed around again with some more Innova and Lat 64 mids and nothing clicked. I then grabbed a Nate Doss Ti Buzzz because it was as flat as the D Buzzz and I love it once again. I don't like the feel of the bead on the Roc or Comet backhanded, but I have a decent forehand with a Big Bird Roc.

Teebird is still one of my go to discs and I've thrown and tried everything out there.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well so keep it up.