• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aero - 6 glide?!

It is an extra slow disc, definitely a step slower than even the slower of the typical putters like an Aviar/Challenger/Magnet which are a half step slower than a Wizard and a whooole lot of popular putters today. Somewhat similar to a Nova in it's extra slow speed, but has the slightly wider diameter of a roc which is fun.

My 1000 rated buddy sometimes uses a lightweight old star stamped aero for a very easily controlled short basket run in a similar fashion to how many people use a putter that won't hyzer out or a Lid of some kind. It just floats straight because it is so slow. Definitely notch faster than a puppy (from which it's prototype was originally modified), polecat, or rattler type disc but more lid like than 99% of discs that people throw today.

It is cool that it is Innova's first production disc, the first production bevel edged disc, technically one of the first disc golf targeted discs, was once one of the fastest and more overstable discs around, held the distance world record for a bit, dominated worlds on the day of it's release, and is a piece of oldschool early 80's disc golf history that can still be found for a fairly affordable price today without much effort in dat ollld DX plastic with dem ollld stamps.

It is cool that it is Innova's first production disc, the first production bevel edged disc, technically one of the first disc golf targeted discs, was once one of the fastest and more overstable discs around, held the distance world record for a bit, dominated worlds on the day of it's release, and is a piece of oldschool early 80's disc golf history that can still be found for a fairly affordable price today without much effort in dat ollld DX plastic with dem ollld stamps.

Well said!

I saw some folks playing disc golf one day with ultimate discs - it wasn't hugely effective, but it was very fun to watch. I don't expect the Aero to be that big and slow, but your description makes it sound interesting in the same way.

Well said!

I saw some folks playing disc golf one day with ultimate discs - it wasn't hugely effective, but it was very fun to watch. I don't expect the Aero to be that big and slow, but your description makes it sound interesting in the same way.

Playing disc golf with ultimate discs is actually a ton of fun, it's a good way to make a short easy outdated course challenging and fun again. If you play in the winter it's also an easy way to never lose a disc under the snow (other superclass discs like Zephyrs are the same).

Well, I finally threw the Aero today for the first time. What fun! It was breezy today, and I had fun putting into the wind and getting the Aero to hover over the basket. Made some nice puts too, although it wobbled like hell. What a great old-school funky disc. It won't be my regular putter, but I am looking forward to a one disc round with this disc.

Threw the Aero along with some other putters tonite on a soccer field - holy cow, when you hit it just right, this disc just flies.

Well, I finally threw the Aero today for the first time. What fun! It was breezy today, and I had fun putting into the wind and getting the Aero to hover over the basket. Made some nice puts too, although it wobbled like hell. What a great old-school funky disc. It won't be my regular putter, but I am looking forward to a one disc round with this disc.

Bump!

I just bought one of these last week and took it out for a round, Aero vs Nova! The Aero beat the Nova by 7 shots!

Don't know if I'm going to bag it, but this really is a fun disc!

I love me some Aeros, I used to use that for my one disc rounds.
In other news, my buddy showed up with a patent pending Aero the other day... its from when his Dad started playing in the early 80's. It's a little piece of history!
16113937_1361455803926490_5154934446075966828_n.jpg

Playing disc golf with ultimate discs is actually a ton of fun, it's a good way to make a short easy outdated course challenging and fun again. If you play in the winter it's also an easy way to never lose a disc under the snow (other superclass discs like Zephyrs are the same).
I played an Ultrastar round at Lake Casitas. I don't know if you remember but there's another hole next to the Top of the World hole. It's a little less elevation change but still a considerable downhill. I parked the longest pin position and it felt like it took about 15 seconds for it to float down to the basket.

That was a fun day.

#oldpeoplestories

Wasn't the Aero the first disc specifically designed for "frisbee" golf?
AND wasn't it the world record distance holder (somewhere in the 480 ft area)?
Anyone?

All the history aside, I really like the Aero. Correct release & it is straight as an, well you know.
I use to carry one all the time. Haven't lately, trying to minimize what I carry.
But I do need to work on my backhand... Hmmm.

Went back to throwing the Aero after using it when I was a lefthander during rehab for my right shoulder. I still stand by what I said before, just a super straight thrower. But when I went back to playing righthand again fulltime, I did not use my Aero as my main putter. Then one Sunday while playing a round, I was DISCappointed with my usual putter, so I benched it in favor of the Aero. The Aero has been my go-to putter for a few weeks now.

Went back to throwing the Aero after using it when I was a lefthander during rehab for my right shoulder. I still stand by what I said before, just a super straight thrower. But when I went back to playing righthand again fulltime, I did not use my Aero as my main putter. Then one Sunday while playing a round, I was DISCappointed with my usual putter, so I benched it in favor of the Aero. The Aero has been my go-to putter for a few weeks now.

I hope you have backups, then, because the Aero seems to have gone bye bye.

For the DX models, I do have back ups. For the Star & Champion, well, sadly, no. I consider myself to be lucky just to have those.

aero vs polecat, GO!

No idea why I'm replying to a question from years ago but this one got me.

I threw both a lot being a lover of ultra-flat flying 0/0 discs. IMO the best are the birdie because it flies like a brick with a tail, the nova because it just hovers on release angle like nothing else and then the Dart, which is one of my favorite all time approach/get out of jail discs.

I just don't like the Polecat, the Classic Aviar or the Aero even though on paper I should love them. I like throwing the aero because it's fun to toss but the wind absolutely crushes that disc like no other. The polecat was like a watered down birdie and I preferred the bird in flight and predictability. Too much glide on a 0/0 disc and it starts doing things other than hold the line I released it on.

I too threw my gummy champ in the bag for a round on a whim for C2 length putts/runs at the basket and was pleasantly surprised.
It doubled my putting range by 2!
I'm talking 60' with a 7'-8' ceiling. Runs that I had no business at before.
I honestly felt like I activated cheat codes!

I hopped onto facebook to put up an ISO for another gummy champ run and found that the aero collectors don't want to let go of their stock.... (to which I completely understand)
I'm glad I have the one I got.
If anyone has one that they don't care for much I would gladly take if off your hands..
looking for a thrower, have some nice discs I'd be willing to trade or pp if the price is right.

When I first started playing I bought 2 f2 star aeros ...it's one of my favorite disc to throw to this day.. max weight and the thing just bombes and doesn't get pushed around as much as I thought.. sad to see that it's oop it's a great disc...

Latest posts