• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Aerobie Epic... What do y'all think???

Joshua1972

Bogey Member
I played with a guy that throws one last week... He usually threw it when he wanted to go over an object and come down vertically on the basket... I had the chance to try one yesterday and after that went out and bought one (along with the Aerobie Arrow Putt & Approach). I absoulutly love this disc... out to about 200 feet I can throw it vertical with my thumb on the small lipped side and usually place it where ever I want it... Anyone else throwing this disc... If so what do you think???

Josh

I have one but have only tried to throw it backhanded...and I didn't like it at all. I tried contorting it per the instructions and it didn't seem to respond.
I haven't tried it as a thumber...I'll try that...

bought one....fast, sometimes long, heavy....liked it as a tomahawker disc once "tweaked"....BUT....totally u-n-p-r-e-d-i-c-t-a-b-l-e. Gave it to a friend. Heard the Arrow is the shit though albeit kind of gimmic disc.

The arrow IS the 5H*+. Straightest putter i've ever thrown. Distance, meh, but straight as the name would imply :) Epic is nice, but ONLY for tomahawking, because is flies different than other discs. Most of the time when I tomahawk, the disc will go up and over, then flip upside down and keep goign, then slide along the ground once it lands. The Epic flips around, turns vertical, and drops. Also, the epicycline makes it flop instead of roll.

I used to have one. Two actually, lost one, bought another one, lost it too, attempting the same escape shot from the same place, same hole, same course.A week apart. (Monstrous 6th Hole at Bethel College in Arden Hills MN, in the woods to the left of the fair, just before the 5 ft rise)
Weeks later I found one of my Epics laying on the ground on a different hole of that course. Lost it THAT ROUND. Guess how? Yup, SSDD. I interpreted this as a message that I am not meant to own an Epic.

So yes, I like the Epic, as a Specialty Disc. Not quite the longest tomahawk disc, for me, though Ive heard stories about some throwing tomahawking theirs > 400ft, so who knows. however, it is more accurate , and goes almost as far as others.

Hope my rant somehow answered your question

I liked mine as a hawk disc only, I found it to be reasonable with placement of about 15 feet, but I wasn't using it becasue I have more confidence than that 15ft window, plus it gets beat up easy, too gummy. In the end I felt I can hawk good enough (about once every six rounds) with my champion plastic and I traded it.

Tried it as a RHBH driver and did not like it at all. I used an arrow for a while and was ok but ultimately I decided on the aviar putter instead.

i bought one - tried as a tomahawk - didnt get much distance - was unimpressed

played with a guy that threw it BH and he really seemed to get a lot of glide out of it - it is possible it's underrated as a backhanddisc?

played with a guy that threw it BH and he really seemed to get a lot of glide out of it - it is possible it's underrated as a backhanddisc?
No. ;) From what I understand it can be thrown a long way, but there are longer discs out there and because it's so easily "tuneable" you can't rely on it from throw to throw.

just looking at the disc it looks gimicky - no other companies tried making anything similar. most people are better off in the longrun by learning to throw traditional discs correctly - if discs come with instructions - probably not a good thing

just looking at the disc it looks gimicky - no other companies tried making anything similar. most people are better off in the longrun by learning to throw traditional discs correctly - if discs come with instructions - probably not a good thing

Well, no other companies will probably feel the use of making something like that, due to that disc is grandfathered in as an approved PDGA disc. But no others can have that wide of an edge unless the rules change again. :rolleyes:

In other words, if Quest AT doesn't make something like it, with the intention to be an illegal disc, no one probably will. :D

I had an epic until today. I tomahawked it too far through a fairway into the woods:(. The longest throw I ever threw was with my epic using a slightly overhand/slightly forehand throw. It comes out moving left and then levels off and glides forever. The only problem is, like another guy posted, they lose their tune really fast and become way too unpredictable. If I find mine again I'll keep it as tomahawker, but I don't think I would ever buy one again.

I just tried one out just the other day, and I really didn't like it. I was hoping to add it to my bag as my overhead disc, but it flipped over way too fast for me. But I sold it to a friend who has a better tomahawk than me, and he can get it a pretty good distance. For now I'm gonna stick to my old Pro Line Monster for overheads.

I just tried one out just the other day, and I really didn't like it. I was hoping to add it to my bag as my overhead disc, but it flipped over way too fast for me. But I sold it to a friend who has a better tomahawk than me, and he can get it a pretty good distance. For now I'm gonna stick to my old Pro Line Monster for overheads.

The Epic isn't really best for normal overhand shots...you can pull them off with it, but it's more suited for a "barrel roll" overhand shot. Actually, it wasn't designed as an overhand disc at all according to the designer, but that's another story. The shot I see most often with the Epic is a high-power thumber thrown with the disc totally vertical...the disc will flip 270-degrees to the right (assuming a right-handed thrower) and then start to fly like a normal backhand air shot. This is how some people can get upwards of 400' distance with the Epic.

Personally, I don't have a strong thumber since I screwed up my shoulder last year. I used to be able to throw one 300' consistently with an Eagle-x, but now it's an emergency-only shot that maxxes out at about 200'. I picked up an Epic for $4 at Play it Again Sports last week, and almost threw my shoulder out again trying to get the barrel roll shot to work...anyone want an Epic? :D

It really is Epic.

The Aerobie Epic is one heck of a weird disk. Too unpredictable to be thrown any other way than Tommy and Thumber, but that is where it shines! Thrown Tomahawk it goes pretty much where pointed, and its flight pattern allows you to aim right between trees instead of having to allow for the typical 15' or more of sliding to the right like a typical disk would do. Thrown Thumber this disk does the most amazing thing. It rolls over and flattens out to glide like a normal BH throw for a total distance of 50' more than a regular BH. Crazy stuff! I almost feel like it is cheating to use it on the longer holes, but it does still take some skill to get it to go where aimed and to get it tuned just right for max distance. Buy one and try it out, but don't give up before banging it up a little! Oh, by the way, tune it by bending it down, not up, to get the most distance with the Thumber.

I got an Arrow for Christmas. (Mother-in-law who knows nothing about DG) I started out laughing at it, but it has become my "flop" putter. Whenever I need to putt over a bush or up onto a hill, this thing hits the ground and STOPS, no roll. So I did find a use for it after all. One of my buddies found one "under a bush in his yard" (he won't admit to buying it, but has lived in his house for 15 years, with water on 3 sides, and a private driveway) and he uses it all the time pretty effectively.

I played with a guy that throws one last week... He usually threw it when he wanted to go over an object and come down vertically on the basket... I had the chance to try one yesterday and after that went out and bought one (along with the Aerobie Arrow Putt & Approach). I absoulutly love this disc... out to about 200 feet I can throw it vertical with my thumb on the small lipped side and usually place it where ever I want it... Anyone else throwing this disc... If so what do you think???

Josh

I got one to try on distance thumbers, I wasnt able to get it to work but have seen several that have.

i think that thing thrown tomahawk or a max weight dx wraith thrown straight by someone throwin 400+ will be the first disc to kill someone