• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Age vs. throwing distance

I turned 60 this year. I've been playing about a year and a half. I'm mainly a RHFH player on my drives because of a very bad right knee. Approach and upshots are BH which don't stress my bad knee like BH drives do.

I average between 310-350' on drives. Every one in a while, I get one out to 400'.

Surprisingly, I outdrive about 90% of the people I play with by 20-50'.

Now, if I could just learn to putt! I read somewhere you're suppose to practice that also.

As a friend of mine says, "As the older we get, we have to find different ways to accomplish things the same way we did when we were younger".

The one thing I have learned about this game is that it isn't about distance, it's about accuracy. That boils down simply to repetition in form and techique.

Woodpecker

I'm 29 and this past week at doubles my partner was an Open Masters player (mid to late 40's). He had recently won MO @ the King's Cup in Kinston. He drove mainly with a Pro SL and he was driving just as far as me if not farther since he could hit any damn line he wanted. he's also a lefty. He was also putting the lights out.

You must be talking about Mr. Hill!!! He's a legend!!! I hope to draw him soon at our next doubles, my points are definitely lagging behind. But what's awesome about him, not to mention that he still has so much game, he gives some great advice on technique and shot selection; you'll never meet a more humble and mild-tempered guy.

As an "old guy" myself I find that I have about average distance <about 300ft on a drive, up to about 325>, but my drives are accurate. What I find most about my division <adv. masters> is that almost all of us are very good at accuracy, and upshots. Since many of us have been playing for years, we seem to have developed ways of getting ourselves out of the rough and still saving par. Most all of us have a VERY good short game. I've had to play a few tournaments where my division was not offered, so played in Adv. Open with the "young bucks". Both times it was shorter, technical courses, and both times I ended up in the top 10. What I learned is this......only 1/3 of your game is distance....most holes it is drive, upshot, putt, your drive is only part of a complete hole. The biggest part is upshot and putt. If you can be accurate in your short game, you can normally be right there in the hunt for a win!

I am indeed referring to Mr. Hill. and you are 100% correct about his advice and cool head. I hope I draw him in dubs every week lol.

This isnt something i like to admit, but here we go anyway. im 24 and an average to above average disc golfer. (depending on your view of things) i got beaten by about four points by a 68 year old man a few weeks back. it hurt my pride a lil but it sure was a fun game.

I'm 45 years young, drive consistently and accurately in the +/- 300' range. As someone stated earlier, the upshot and putting put me into, if not the lead, but in contention w/ younger players.
The main thing for me is to have fun, while accidentally getting in some exercize:gross:

I think the biggest handicap with aging is the potential for injury. The older you get, the higher the odds for getting hurt. Not to mention it takes a hell of a lot longer to heal once you do. Damn relentless march of time...

Last edited:
We just had a local long drive competition. The Lubbock and the areas around it has a very good local scene with some fantastic players.

Anyways the winner who I am not exactly how old threw a 608 ft shot. I would guess he is about 35 yrs old. Second place was a 17 year old kid with a drive of 595. Maybe that answers your question about age and distance. (don't quote me for sure on the winners age)