• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Sexton firebirds were back in stock for a brief moment last night so I picked up 3. Lost my two 2017 Sexybirds in the last few months in really dumb ways. Excited to try this year's run out.

Sexton firebirds were back in stock for a brief moment last night so I picked up 3. Lost my two 2017 Sexybirds in the last few months in really dumb ways. Excited to try this year's run out.

This year's Sextons are pretty gummy/flexy, even moreso than the '21s. '20s are my favorite I've thrown, as they are stiffer and more stable than the '21s and '22s (which were about the same stability-wise for me). The '21s and '22s felt more like Thunderbird stability than the Firebird Jr. stability I want in a Sexton. YMMV

I think I'm going to add the Draco back in the bag to complement my beat in '20 Sexton. The Draco has more beef, less glide, and is dead flat. Feels like a FAF Firebird with a hint more glide to me.

This year's Sextons are pretty gummy/flexy, even moreso than the '21s. '20s are my favorite I've thrown, as they are stiffer and more stable than the '21s and '22s (which were about the same stability-wise for me). The '21s and '22s felt more like Thunderbird stability than the Firebird Jr. stability I want in a Sexton. YMMV

I think I'm going to add the Draco back in the bag to complement my beat in '20 Sexton. The Draco has more beef, less glide, and is dead flat. Feels like a FAF Firebird with a hint more glide to me.

Good to know. I really liked my 2017's but they are the only ones I've ever thrown, so I guess I'll see how these compare to those. I took a big 5 year gap in playing between 2017 and 2022 so I missed out on the previous years' runs.

Anyone tried the Hailey King Halos? I haven't been able to find any flat Champ ones in a good while now and the mild dome ones I've thrown just aren't as overstable as I want them to be, so I've been eyeing the Halo ones.

It's less about it being flat and more about having something veeery overstable.

Everything I've read and heard about Dracos says they're less overstable than beefy Firebirds. Is that just the Calvin Glow ones?

It's less about it being flat and more about having something veeery overstable.

Everything I've read and heard about Dracos says they're less overstable than beefy Firebirds. Is that just the Calvin Glow ones?

I think all of the Draco's would be… by design

Lunar Quantum Dracos are less OS and beat in faster than the stock Quantum from my understanding.
Stock Quantum Dracos are more like a flattened FD3 so slightly more glide and less fade than the true to flight numbers Champion Firebirds.

Usual caveats around Innova produced run to run variations on PLH/plastic blends...Halo Star stability is generally aligned with the most OS version of that molds Star plastic variation. I would not expect the H. King Halo FB to be the more OS than a max weight stock Champion FB for very long.

Well, then that opens up options.

The Streamline Flare or Discmania Splice should be enough beef for most mere mortals.

Great discs, the Splice would be a no-brainer, but I do need them to be produced by Innova.

Lunar Quantum Dracos are less OS and beat in faster than the stock Quantum from my understanding.
Stock Quantum Dracos are more like a flattened FD3 so slightly more glide and less fade than the true to flight numbers Champion Firebirds.

Yes, this was roughly my understanding too. I'd probably pick up a MF Scepter or stock Quantum Draco - which I believe are both flattened FD3s in overstable plastic - if I could find them available at retailers I can reasonably order from on my island.

Usual caveats around Innova produced run to run variations on PLH/plastic blends...Halo Star stability is generally aligned with the most OS version of that molds Star plastic variation. I would not expect the H. King Halo FB to be the more OS than a max weight stock Champion FB for very long.

Thanks! I've thrown Invaders in Luster and Halo, and Mako3s, Leopard3s, Sidewinders, Valkyries and Wraiths in Champion and Halo. From my somewhat limited experience the Halo Star has been either similar or noticeably more overstable than the Champion out of the box.

If a Halo Firebird is similar to a Champ Firebird out of the box then it's definitely not what I'm looking for, but I was hoping it might be one of those few molds that comes out more overstable than the Champ version.

Great discs, the Splice would be a no-brainer, but I do need them to be produced by Innova.

Well, not sure of the particulars of your sponsorship deal with Innova but you'd think they would at least be a little better at getting you the discs you need to represent their brand.

Got to throw a couple of the Halo Firebirds yesterday. I wouldn't call them FAF but they were by far the flattest Star Firebirds and Halo discs I've thrown, and the soft grippy Star blend you'd expect from Halo.

They were overstable for sure, more so than Sextons and Stars, but not any more overstable than most standard Champs I've thrown. I'd recommend them to people who prefer the feeling of Star or who want slightly more overstable Sextons with the same soft-ish grippy feel. Might beat into straight money discs. Not a massively overstable bookend.

Can anyone compare the relative stabilities of more recent run Star & G* Firebirds?

I have a G* Destroyer that I strongly prefer over any Star Destroyer that I've even tried. (I don't have the arm speed to get a full flight out of a Star Destroyer, but do OK with my G*.) I'm wondering if a G* Firebird would be a good off the shelf backup for my seasoned Star Firebird.

Second question...

One reviewer on OTB mentioned that their InnVision Star Firebird was less stable than expected. I thought InnVision discs were just different graphics, so this was probably just a case of that reviewer getting a less OS Star Firebird. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'm all ears, though. I do like the art on the InnVision Star Firebirds.

@Mickstar - I'm always curious about this. What shots are you looking to get from your seasoned or less beefy Firebird?

I tend to carry 9403s (Draco, FB, w/e) for utility, so I'm not usually looking for one that pushes.

If I want something that pushes with reliable fade, I'll probably throw an OLF or Thunderbird. If I want something that carries further, but has that wild FB style fade and skip, I happen to have these 2 freakish FAF 160g X-Out Westside Worlds that do exactly that better than anything Ive ever seen.. which is no kind of help to anyone else.

If you're looking for something that just has reliable fade but gets out further, you could try a stable/OS run of Thunderbird. If you want the push + hard finish, the Orbital Felons are supposed to be a bit straighter than normal runs (which are already a little bit straighter than FBs in my opinion.)

Latest posts