• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any forehand Understable disc throwers?

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Now, I can't flick to save my life for any shot over about 100 ft. Being so, I throw sidewinders and roadrunners to be able to place a disc where I would hope to get if I had a good flick.

I was just wondering, but does anyone that flicks the disc use or carry any understable stuff like the roadrunner/sidewinder to get a disc to a point where they would hope to have a good back hand shot, being that they don't have one?

I don't know of anyone that flicks understable stuff to get a left turning shot. (right handed flickers) I just see the use of the same overstable discs, but just pulled over the top (anhyzer flick).

Anyone out there? and how does it work out for ya?

I use a roadrunner, monarch, and a Fl for forehand anhyzer shots with the roadunner being the preferred disc (open lines), the monarch for tight lines, and the Fl for windy days.

I use a Vision for shots that hook left. My anhyzer isn't very good, which is why I'm working on a RHBH, but I usually pop it up pretty high and it naturally fades to the left.

I use valkarie for flick understable shots. I throw it like a hyzer flip for flick

I threw a Valkyrie my first couple years. I carried one until the beginning of last year when they became too flippy. I think it's better to start with understable discs because they make you throw properly if you want any distance.

Nowadays, I flick a predator 90% of the time. But I have practiced flicking understable plastic like a Vision on a steep angle for a long distance hyzer flip and have had success doing that. On a right to left shot I'm much more comfortable backhanding so I haven't tried to get that kind of flight on a flick shot, but I can say I've found understable discs useful for distance as long as I get the angle right.

I stink at fh but by bud throws 90% fh. He is now using buzzzi, stalkers and such as before it was strictly overstable.

I mostly use a Boss, Wraith or Destroyer to FH my shots about 300'

I started experimenting with some understable discs last year (Roadrunner, Valkyrie) and had some good results. I was able to get a nice S curve line that I wouldn't be able to get with any backhand shot that I have. The downside of course is that it can be so easy to turn those discs over, I really need to practice them more to be successful. You have to really give the discs some extra height for them to work out right, but not too much or they stall out and fall right.

I use a stingray as a forehand disc occasionally. But that's only for cutting really crazy turns.

I'm a RHFH driver and i tend to use stabilities for disc placement. If I want the disc to go left to avoid some trees or a baseball field (I hate that hole) I'll throw a sidewinder or a valk, if I want to go right to avoid say, the homeless people on hole 8, I'll throw something a little more overstable. I'm not experienced enough yet to be able to get one kind of disc to do whatever I want, so I like to keep a wide range of stabilities in my bag

my FH shot started as a roadrunner. it was a straight line bullet. it started to turn over as i improved my speed/form so i moved to a sidewinder. Its started to turn as well. ( both held somewhat wing down on release) so lately I've been FH throwing a surge to get a straighter FH shot. This disc i have to hold flat or slightly wing up to get a straighter shot. This release angle feels weird for me (based on my previous release angles) so in trying to compensate I've been standing up more instead of a more bent over shot. This standing effect hasn't been working so its back to the surge and forcing my hand to hold a flatter release. The sidewinder/roadrunner were great FH discs but as everything in my form is improving they are behaving more like their actual flight characteristics should. I can get them to behave, but only when i throw at about 75% my regular speed. I flick a Breeze and a Comet as well for mid range shots, but these shots are with much less force so i don't have the turnover problems like the drivers. I think over time i will progress to the same shots you see the other players throwing. we may be in a similar line of progression from under to over.

I throw forehand about 25% of the time. The only time I would use a forehand that I needed to go from right to left is when I'm in the woods on the left side of the fairway and can't throw a backhand shot. For that shot, I use a champion Leopard at about half power. If you throw it hard, it will just dive into the ground and roll off in the woods again. You can get pretty good distance without having to step into the shot. Most people use their putter for that shot, but the larger rim on the putter catches my finger on release and I don't get as much angle or distance as I do with the Leopard.

For all other forehand shots... Boss, Groove or Firebird. I can throw them really far... well over 300 feet, but rarely do they land between me and the basket, so I don't recognise my forehand shot when talking about my distance off the tee... and only use it on long, wide open fairways where accuracy isn't as important as distance.

I drive forehand about 80% of the time and I like to mix up the stability of my dirvers based on distance, etc. My #1 driver is the Surge SS, which if you look atthe marshallstreet flight guide, is pretty close to the middle. I also carry a Vision, Starfire, FL, and Reaper for my FH drives.
I will use some of those on my backhand drives as well, but also carry a Valk, Viper, and Monarch to be used pretty much exclusively for BH drives...