• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop asking if you are outside the circle!

As you can tell, I have been thinking about this. 😅 On further thought, I think if the 1-meter proposed rule were to come into effect, that one should be allowed to freely follow through over that new, second lie. Although we call them putts, steppers and jumpers are really something in between a throw and a putt. I've seen folks throw a backhand into the basket. They probably followed through, though I cannot swear by that. So maybe make the second position the new, relocated lie and (thereafter) treat the subsequent step/jump putt as any other throw. The would-be stepper/jumper can walk back 1-meter from the previously-thrown disc (on the line of play from the basket) to establish this new lie. Put his/her mini down there. Pick up the previously-thrown disc (no longer in play). Jamming folks up behind the previous lie is overkill IMHO. Especially for those of us who happen to be long-legged and can cover a meter without much effort... I would hope that adding 1 meter back of where the previously-thrown disc landed is enough to mitigate any perceived unfair advantage. Then one can smoothly follow through (via the generated momentum of the jump or step), just as one does on drives and approaches.

Last edited:
I don't think getting rid of the circle is the answer. The PDGA has technical standards for discs and baskets. Maybe they should also for measuring devices. That's a vote for improving the no-magic, affordable rangefinder. Is there enough incentive for manufacturers to improve their current devices? Create new ones? Time will tell.
Please no. Darn things should not be legal to begin with.

Judging distance is an improvable skill (mostly this). Their usage bogs the game down. Not everyone has one.
I think it hinders most people who use them. Almost as if they don't actually learn to throw specific reference distances. Feel like everytime I see someone bust out a range finder they come up way short. I do think it is a skill to judge distance. Definitely does add time though. Usually becomes a what disc do I throw situation too.

I think it hinders most people who use them. Almost as if they don't actually learn to throw specific reference distances. Feel like everytime I see someone bust out a range finder they come up way short. I do think it is a skill to judge distance. Definitely does add time though. Usually becomes a what disc do I throw situation too.

Wish I had a dollar for every time in the past two week a card mate walk in front of two other lies to go shoot the distance of their lie. I could sign up for my next tournament.

Wish I had a dollar for every time in the past two week a card mate walk in front of two other lies to go shoot the distance of their lie. I could sign up for my next tournament.
It's your responsibility to stop them by telling them that doing that is against the rules and, if needed, giving them courtesy violations. The first one is just a warning, and that usually ends it.

"812 Courtesy A. A player must not: [...] 3. Engage in distracting or unsportsmanlike actions such as: [...] e. Advancing beyond the away player[.]"

(Maybe start giving your card mates a dollar every time you don't make the call?)