• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Sidewinder Love?

I have a 173.5g Halo Sidewinder. It's way more stable than -3/1. I'd rate it more like -1/2, and that's being generous. I'm hoping it will beat in to being less stable & longer. I have similar weight VIP Stag that has similar stability, but it noticeably longer. Maybe I got a weird one...

My Halo Sidewinder is the same for me --> -1 turn at most, 2 fade. Nice feeling disc but since mine is 177g it doesn't get much action.

I have a 173.5g Halo Sidewinder. It's way more stable than -3/1. I'd rate it more like -1/2, and that's being generous.

That sounds about right. I have a Juliana Korver Halo Roadrunner that's pretty much the same. I can even throw it into a mild headwind and trust it to be straight for me. It's a great disc.

I need to look out for a Halo Sidewinder.

I have a 173.5g Halo Sidewinder. It's way more stable than -3/1. I'd rate it more like -1/2, and that's being generous. I'm hoping it will beat in to being less stable & longer. I have similar weight VIP Stag that has similar stability, but it noticeably longer. Maybe I got a weird one...

that seems about right. almost 0/1. If I throw it close to full power its really straight, 70-80% it has a little fade but not much. I found a stag in sparkle VIP thats similar but i think the sidewinder is a little longer.

Its definitely not like a regular sidewinder at all.

I have a 174 Halo Sidewinder that I beat in nicely. Initially, it was a more stable than a lot of my other SW. Now, it gets a nice turn but still has more fade than a traditional sidewinder, which is useful for me in certain situations. I really like it for forehands as well.

Picked up a DX Sidewinder to turn in to a roller disc, and then lost it on the first round I played with it. What is the best plastic for a roller? Loving the Factory Pro and my new Gstar for throwers, nice turnover out of the box.

Picked up a DX Sidewinder to turn in to a roller disc, and then lost it on the first round I played with it. What is the best plastic for a roller? Loving the Factory Pro and my new Gstar for throwers, nice turnover out of the box.

I don't know if it's the best, but I have a beat in Star Sidewinder that is a nice roller disc. I'm terrible at rollers, but all the good ones I've thrown have been with that disc.

I picked up two Sidewinders that think they're Teebirds. If I buy a -3/1 disc I'd at least like a -2/1.5 flight right off the shelf. I was disappointed.

I picked up two Sidewinders that think they're Teebirds. If I buy a -3/1 disc I'd at least like a -2/1.5 flight right off the shelf. I was disappointed.

How much turn were you getting and how far were you throwing them?

Most folks on here know that Innova flight numbers don't match new star/champ discs unless you're throwing near pro-level distances, I was just curious for a more detailed data point for current stock.

And did those new ones have much flashing?

Sidewinders will be -3/1 in no time. They have an initial break-in period that's only a couple weeks to a month. After that they'll be -2/1 or -3/1 for quite a while. These days I find myself preferring a real broken-in Thunderbird to a Sidewinder. Something about that little nano-bead on the Sidewinder bottom doesn't agree with me.

How much turn were you getting and how far were you throwing them?

Most folks on here know that Innova flight numbers don't match new star/champ discs unless you're throwing near pro-level distances, I was just curious for a more detailed data point for current stock.

And did those new ones have much flashing?

Distance wise they probably went a little over 300. Started them on a little hyzer expecting them to at least stand up a little but they held the hyzer. Had it stood up even a little I would have expected it to go further. I was throwing them on a 330' hole where I normally hyzer flip an Escape. I guess it's possible I didn't hit it hard enough because I was anticipating it to flip more.

As far as the flashing, I don't know. I don't typically pay attention to that sort of thing.

Oh. And for further reference the pair I have are both star plastic and max weight so I wasn't expecting them to be as flippy as the numbers but the 0/2 flight kind of surprised me.

Sidewinders will be -3/1 in no time. They have an initial break-in period that's only a couple weeks to a month. After that they'll be -2/1 or -3/1 for quite a while. These days I find myself preferring a real broken-in Thunderbird to a Sidewinder. Something about that little nano-bead on the Sidewinder bottom doesn't agree with me.

what the hell are you talkin about

My experience with Sidewinders, obviously.

I have had a lot of Sidewinders. Patent number sidewinders, CFR sidewinders, Star and Gstar sidewinders. None of them have a 'micro bead'. That is flashing. Take it off and the sidewinder will fly significantly faster, with more glide and less stable.

Roadrunner has a microbead and is rated -3/1, is that what you mean? Can't say I've seen a recent run of Sidewinder get to -3/1 in short order either, but I don't bag them. Dabbled with them a bit and have a finger printy patent number SW that's pretty flippy.

I have had a lot of Sidewinders. Patent number sidewinders, CFR sidewinders, Star and Gstar sidewinders. None of them have a 'micro bead'. That is flashing. Take it off and the sidewinder will fly significantly faster, with more glide and less stable.

I too have had a lot of Sidewinders since they used to be a workhorse in my bag. A champion transitional patent # Sidewinder, an F2 Halo Star Sidewinder (that was legit 0/2), a couple Mason Ford commemorative Halo Sidewinders, a couple 2021 Christine Jenning Swirly Star Sidewinders, a couple 2022 Christine Jenning Star Color Glows, and a couple stock Stars. They all have a tiny bump/bead at the inner edge of their rims. Of course there can be flashing on top of those too, which can make them sharp. I made the mistake of completely sanding off the flashing and the tiny bead on both a Barsby Roadrunner and my first Jenning Sidewinder. It definitely makes them smoother in the hand, and it definitely adds a point or two of turn right away. That is technically illegal for sanctioned tournaments, but I doubt anybody cares that much.

Roadrunner has a microbead and is rated -3/1, is that what you mean? Can't say I've seen a recent run of Sidewinder get to -3/1 in short order either, but I don't bag them. Dabbled with them a bit and have a finger printy patent number SW that's pretty flippy.

It depends on the plastic you get. Star or GStar beat in faster than Champion, and the Star Color Glow 2022 Jenning Sidewinders don't take long to be come -3/1. The second of my two Swirly Star 2021 Jennings I got to -2/1 or so within 3 weeks of consistent abuse. That initial break-in period I found pretty true for nearly all Innova Premium plastic. I had a 171g Star Mamba last year that I could confidently throw flat into headwinds when I first got it. Fast forward 4-5 weeks and I could only reliably throw it with big tailwinds or lots and lots of hyzer. I ended up acing with it on a frozen rope, but it required a 20-30 mph tailwind to stabilize it out. I've never found Sidewinders to start out as 0/2 besides that one F2 Halo. All the rest started out like -1/1 to me, so getting them to -2/1 or within a month and getting that newness out of them isn't that hard at all. Also keep in mind that I'm throwing them flat for aorund 340-360 feet, and am playing at 700' elevation. People at higher altitudes will find them more overstable.

Last edited:

Latest posts