• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach putter suggestions?

Try a Shark, the mold will dump more when used as an approach disc rather then as midrange. Also can be a windy day putter. Want a more Aviar like disc? then get the Rat as I see people using that mold as an approach disc, driving putter, and windy day putter the way various plastics for the Zone would be used.

Years ago I was taught to stick with the same mold but go lighter, that is the Glide.

Back then that meant a 150g Aviar, then Omegas, now it is about the Wizard.

I wish I could get the Reptilian guys to have Gateway run 150g Serpents <3(and Scales) :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:as that is what I am actually putting with now.

Wizards or Scales have been my approach discs for pretty much anything (unless there is very little or no wind, then a 71 mold or Polecat) under 250 feet.

Standstill upshot disc with glide sounds like a lid like disc ie; polecat,rattler and Sonic. If you don't like the lid feel and I don't blame you I don't like them either I would suggest a soft version of your putting putter. I use pro d roaches for putting and soft roaches for upshots and short drives off the tee. The thing I like about soft plastic is it sits where it hits.

Years ago I was taught to stick with the same mold but go lighter, that is the Glide.

Back then that meant a 150g Aviar, then Omegas, now it is about the Wizard.

I wish I could get the Reptilian guys to have Gateway run 150g Serpents <3(and Scales) :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:as that is what I am actually putting with now.

Wizards or Scales have been my approach discs for pretty much anything (unless there is very little or no wind, then a 71 mold or Polecat) under 250 feet.

I'm sure I can find some in the shop :)

Standstill upshot disc with glide sounds like a lid like disc ie; polecat,rattler and Sonic. If you don't like the lid feel and I don't blame you I don't like them either I would suggest a soft version of your putting putter. I use pro d roaches for putting and soft roaches for upshots and short drives off the tee. The thing I like about soft plastic is it sits where it hits.

Or they can use an OS midrange disc that is mildly OS something like, fade 0 turn 2 or fade 1 turn 1. Then make sure the disc is not too much glide, a putter shaped midrange with glide 4 and under is best for this. Using the mold standstill the mild OS midrange shaped putter is going to act similar to an OS disc like a Ryhno, Pig, or Zone as you are not giving the mold its full power. Then the same slight OS midrange disc can be used as a windy day putter or a driving putter slot seeing as in both situations the mold will act the way you want for the disc.

Last edited:
Maybe this is just preference but I prefer two upshot-specific molds.
1. Fossil Fuel Serpent: super straight and holds a hyzer. Very little glide for its flight and that's a good thing.
2. 160g MVP spin (or other super flippy super glidy putter): touch shots that have to hold with no fade, gentle hyzers, turnovers, etc.
I can cover 95% of all upshots with those. To me too much glide=inaccurate and with proper snap coming from your arm swing standstill is no issue

Obviously a Zephyr. :D

As people have said, check used racks for a really seasoned disc that you already bag. I have a beat to hell Electron Pilot that I love for long jump putts because it glides like no other. For longer approaches, I've switched between R-Pro Darts and beat up Aviars (no bead)

It really comes down to what feels good for your hands, then finding the plastic/wear combo that gives you that confidence.

Maybe this is just preference but I prefer two upshot-specific molds.
1. Fossil Fuel Serpent: super straight and holds a hyzer. Very little glide for its flight and that's a good thing.
2. 160g MVP spin (or other super flippy super glidy putter): touch shots that have to hold with no fade, gentle hyzers, turnovers, etc.
I can cover 95% of all upshots with those. To me too much glide=inaccurate and with proper snap coming from your arm swing standstill is no issue

I second the Serpent! It's a GREAT disc. Feels excellent, flies stable/straight I give it a 2/2/0/0.5 - Its really straight but workable on a lot of angles, mainly I use it as a windy upshot disc because its low glide so it doesn't get carried away. Also a putter its great, low glide helps range it really well on specialty putts. Serpent is one of my favorite discs. Fossil is solid/hard and Fuel is softer. The Halloween run of FossilFUEL last year was great, I have 3 of them and I use em all the time :thmbup:

Blowflys or Gumbputts. 225ft standstill, with an easy catch motion. Of course, not for everybody...well...mostly nobody. But if you give them a chance, you'll see they've got massive glide. The rubbery grip I think helps generate some high rpms, because these things stay up in the air longer than they should, given the power you put into them.

For dead straight approaches 150'-200', I like the EMac Mercy. It's definitely not something I would have picked out normally, but I got one as a birthday gift and decided to give it a go. Think shorter Comet. A Proxy works well in this role too.

Also for shorter (100-150') approaches, try a lid. I bag a GG Star Sonic for that and love it.

Hello!

I am looking to fill a spot in my bag that I feel I am missing. I am looking for a stand still throwing putter with a lot of glide. Got any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback!

Just out of curiosity, why do you want an approach putter with a lot of glide?

Is it more for a get out of trouble shot?

I hade a fuzion Warden for that spot.. .but it had TO much glide, was kind of hard to predict how far it would go.

I like low glide discs for approach shots, like the BERG

^^^ This is the correct answer. Or use the super-beat baseline version as your putting putter, and approach with the fresh baseline putter. When it beats up enough it will be your putting putter.

I always like to have two of my putting putters in the bag in case I lose one.

I do this, but I also carry a polecat. It does things a super beat wizard can't ;)

I do this, but I also carry a polecat. It does things a super beat wizard can't ;)
This exactly. I carry wizards for driving and putting but approach with a polecat or berg. Speed control of a 1 speed disc is something many people would benifit from.

I have also not seen anything other than a lid make tight turns in short distances on the green. Putting around a tree in the circle sure why not.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I'm sure I can find some in the shop :)

If you find any 150 class (150-159g) Serpents (or Scales) I would love to know (PM please) if they are Fossil or Fossil Fuel ( I would love it if they were Fossil Flex though).

And the colors (I am partial to black serpents though)

The Fossil Flex I have remind me of some really old Wizards I got probably back
in like '04-'06 with the Overstable,com stamp.

Thanks!

This exactly. I carry wizards for driving and putting but approach with a polecat or berg. Speed control of a 1 speed disc is something many people would benifit from.

I have also not seen anything other than a lid make tight turns in short distances on the green. Putting around a tree in the circle sure why not.

I use a taller Profile Magnet, Titanic in Proline for putting and longer putts as well as a Magent in Jawbreaker for most putting when weather is not too hot over ~93-95 F on up and when I need a more stright putter, Jawbreker gets beat up quick with putter practice. The Titanic mold flies slower then a new Magnet on the same line though both are speed 2 as Discraft will not have molds go to speed 1 like other companies. I love the control the slower putter has, plus the Titanic feels like the older Magnets made in the early 2000's up till 2006 when the Pro D plastic changed.

Last edited:
I use a taller Profile Magnet, Titanic in Proline for putting and longer putts as well as a Magent in Jawbreaker for most putting when weather is not too hot over ~93-95 F on up and when I need a more stright putter, Jawbreker gets beat up quick with putter practice. The Titanic mold flies slower then a new Magnet on the same line though both are speed 2 as Discraft will not have molds go to speed 1 like other companies. I love the control the slower putter has, plus the Titanic feels like the older Magnets made in the early 2000's up till 2006 when the Pro D plastic changed.
I love the titanic.