• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach Putter

Would a GStar have a similar flight to a beat DX? I don't have much experience with GStar and have only read that it's less stable than other plastics.

DX is less stable than GStar and beats in faster. I tried a GStar Aviar P&A some time ago, and I liked it pretty well. If you use a GStar Aviar for approaches, it won't beat in as fast as a DX, but it will beat in faster than a Star or Champ, and should hold its sweet spot for longer than DX. So that may be the answer you seek, especially if you like the GStar plastic.

Polecat.
Fits the description purrfectly.
So, you're throwing a flattened Aviar for OS upshots and you're putting with Aviars in McPro, XT and/or DX?

Biggest favor you can do yourself is stick with Aviars, in that case. Find a beat up DX. Or ask for one in the marketplace. Or just smash one up a bit. Or just start throwing one (P&A or Classic) until it develops a touch of turn.

Yes, you can try 40 different molds base don 100 different recommendations, but the best thing you can do is LEARN the molds you're using first. Then, if you find there is something you can't make one do for you, consider whether you need to fill that gap in.
These two are right.

Either a lid (Polecat, Upshot, Rattler) or a beat version of your current putter.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I primarily throw OS stuff for approaches, like the Envy and the Jokeri, both of which I like a great deal. If I need something straight/turning over, I generally throw my putting putter, a Fluid Judge or a beat-in X Comet that I like. You might give the Judge a try.

Same here. Jokeri, Envy and Atom.

Dynamic Discs classic blend Judge. My absolute favorite upshot disc. I can make it turn and then it always finishes with just a touch of reliable fade.

Man there are a lot of options available. It would seem like you have a fork in the road:

To the left, you have the option of choosing literally whatever neutral putter you want in baseline plastic and beating it up a bit. Beadless aviars are fine, you could take a DX aviar3 and beat it up if you want, or a PnA/classic... any of these allow you to maintain some consistency in your short game as far as the feel/shape of your molds is concerned.

To the right, you could seek out a putter that flies stable/US out of the box. There are precious few that actually turn with sub-200 feet of clean power in premium plastic... I understand a beat Dart was a little too much turn and glide. With this in mind, check out a mirage in max weight star, or a magic in sure grip plastic (which in theory should not glide as far without height), or maybe a roach or similar DC putter in Jawbreaker.

MIRAGE!!!

I bought this 170g DX Mirage because I was looking for a 'shorter than mid' disc that was understable because I only throw backhands right now. The Mirage is incredible!!!

It has so much glide that you don't have to put a lot on it so it's easy to control. I love the fact that it's relatively flat so it feels more like a mid to me which I prefer. I used to use my 174g Pure for all my approaches but with an easy throw it's tough for me to judge the distance correctly moving it left to right (with an anny). Now I use the Mirage for anything straight or left (Pure still works for fade needs on an approach). It's also great when I'm in tight spots where I can't get a full throw...so easy to get it on line and watch it glide. Threw it from about 130' yesterday and missed the basket by about a foot.

TripleB

MIRAGE!!!

I bought this 170g DX Mirage because I was looking for a 'shorter than mid' disc that was understable because I only throw backhands right now. The Mirage is incredible!!!

It has so much glide that you don't have to put a lot on it so it's easy to control. I love the fact that it's relatively flat so it feels more like a mid to me which I prefer. I used to use my 174g Pure for all my approaches but with an easy throw it's tough for me to judge the distance correctly moving it left to right (with an anny). Now I use the Mirage for anything straight or left (Pure still works for fade needs on an approach). It's also great when I'm in tight spots where I can't get a full throw...so easy to get it on line and watch it glide. Threw it from about 130' yesterday and missed the basket by about a foot.

TripleB

Yep. I bought a Mirage on a whim a while back, and my response was very much like yours. Throw at reduced power and the Mirage will go straight, and go a lot further than originally anticipated. I was hyzer-flipping mine on an uphill, dogleg right hole about 220 ft. and getting excellent results.

Over time, though, I took the Mirage out of my bag because I just wasn't using it very often, it got flippy and a bit squirrelly as it seasoned in, and other discs were serving me better over the course of a full round. Mirage is still a good disc, though.

Already stated but I have settled on a max weight plasma proxy for my strait shot. Very dependable, will hold any line, good in light headwind, wonderful disc. I pair it with the discraft zone for stable shots and forehand approach...everyone should try a zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey so the Judge is a great approach putter, as I'm sure the Pure is. Beat in a judge and it flies nice and neutral.

Problem with it is, sometimes you want a tic more stability for fading approaches and drives. The judge in premium plastic is actually very close to as neutral as the classics, so you're in a bit of a rut.

I recommend the Envy for this shot, as it is very HSS, a little bit more LSS for a more reliable fade, and easier to grip and release for driving than some of the deeper, stable/OS putters like the big bead aviar and wizard. Envy recommendation, brave, I know.

If I were to ever pay money for the DyeMax process to make an image that made it look like I had my own signature disc, it would be the Gold Line Pure. Neutral in flight from start to finish but more than enough stable to not do something stupid.