• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are we just making things up with nose angle stuff now?

4 Rainmakers (don't NEED 4, but handy for putting warmup)
4 P3Xs (2 OS CG, 2 S Line)
2 Razor Claw Tactics
2 S Line MD3s
2 C line Methods
2 MF MD5s
2 S line FD1s
2 S Line CD1s
4 FD3s (2 S line, 2 Flex 1 C Lines for thumbers)
2 S Line DDs (mostly rollers)
2 S line DD3s
2 S Line Horizon Cloudbreakers
2 S Line PD2s

Yeah that makes sense. 2 of everything so you can always practice the shot twice.

My core bag is in 2's, but my utilities stay as singles. Which drops me down a lower disc count.

I'm not a huge believer in the 1 for each shot shape thing either. Where people have like 4 fairways for all the shapes. ugh. that stuff gets boring when people are building out a bag, its not really the smart way in my opinion. But doubles of what your throwing is always smart, because it lets you practice better.

I am really now just more curious how much of this is just a "fit to anatomy" or a difference in style that, if adopted by the other players, could be more effective than the other.

The lack of any obvious PP-to-release pronating + further internal rotation is interesting, and IMHO part of what has been a confusion in parts of the discussion in this thread.

For both (1) and (2), I'm still curious how consistently a shoulder/arm tends to rotate in one and only one direction into the PP and then out of it.
The difficulty in my unscientific analysis is not knowing the intent or the result of the throw measured. Also, I have no idea of how the protraction/retraction of the shoulder blade from RB to PP affects perceived int/ext shoulder rotation.

What it has proved to me is that the simple idea of "turn the key" or pronation/supination is a narrow description to a very complicated motion. The net result is all pros get back to a workable nose angle BUT with much more shoulder rotation than forearm supination. The FEEL for "turn the key" and as described throughout this thread as wrist supination may work for some. I am a big proponent of using correct terminology especially when talking about complicated biomechanics. The only simple way I could describe it is "Net hand/disc rotation in a nose down direction.

I am also convinced that very few people can actually visualize the real position of the disc/thumb/index at release and its relationship to: what is the nose of the disc; and what is the nose down direction. But that is for a much deeper discussion.

I am also convinced that very few people can actually visualize the real position of the disc/thumb/index at release and its relationship to: what is the nose of the disc; and what is the nose down direction. But that is for a much deeper discussion.
I'm not sure I have ever seen this one truly and robustly tackled. I'm not 100% sure how much it would actually help people throw discs well, but its one of the things I'm personally curious about just...because.

How many discs is this total because it sounds like more discs than I've ever seen carried.
It's a pretty normal amount from what I see. The bag is full but I don't have to struggle to jam anything in like I see a good amount of people have to do.

It's 18 excluding my dupe putters for extra putting practice and a 2 other driver dupes I don't need to bag but do for extra throws and excluding 1-2 trial discs I'm deciding on if they will replace something else or could be additions.

E.g., I just got an Champ Eagle X because my Champ Eagle is only slightly OS and I wanted a beefy 7 speed slot, so now I have four seven speeds when I was normally planning on 3, but I might keep both Eagle's since the jump from really beefy to straight within a speed group is a pretty big jump with nothing between it. But I could also just go up to 9 speed when I need something beefy and so if I want to simplify I might choose to do that.

It's a fairly symmetrical build design: X-OS | OS | straight / slightly US | US down the chart for the different speed groups.

I chose this strategy without much influence, it wasn't because I saw pros have 20+ discs or because people told me to get more discs. It was because I wanted to have a good range of clear stability divisions at each speed and to learn all shot shapes both BH and FH. Later on Ezra A and Holyn both came out with a bag building strategy vid where they described this symmetrical approach. Holyn recommended trying to fill the straight slot first at each speed group so that if it's more or less stable than desired it just fills the neighboring stability slot then you fill in the others.

Of course most average players only throw like two different shots, so there's much less use in having more discs in that case.

The flight chart is weirdly off for the Watt and Hex and is missing the Innova IT.

1720022427817.png

I am really now just more curious how much of this is just a "fit to anatomy" or a difference in style that, if adopted by the other players, could be more effective than the other.
I think most pros could switch their style dramatically and still throw far (not as far, of course, but still far) if given a challenge to do so that enticed them to really try and they had the time to put dedicated practice into it and didn't have to worry about it affecting their tournament performance to mess around with form.

I think many pros are athletic enough (mobility, strength, coordination, etc. exceptions for injuries and rarer anatomical limits) and have enough proprioception to, for example, swap to more briefcase with more subsequent supination and external rotation or the other way around.

One example is AB where there's footage of him busting out like 5 different mimic styles of other pros back to back. I doubt he practiced them regularly recently, so that's quite hard to do on the spot. He shanks some of them but with some practice he could prob throw well mimicking some of those people.

Last edited:
It's a pretty normal amount from what I see. The bag is full but I don't have to struggle to jam anything in like I see a good amount of people have to do.

It's 18 excluding my dupe putters for extra putting practice and a 2 other driver dupes I don't need to bag but do for extra throws and excluding 1-2 trial discs I'm deciding on if they will replace something else or could be additions.

E.g., I just got an Champ Eagle X because my Champ Eagle is only slightly OS and I wanted a beefy 7 speed slot, so now I have four seven speeds when I was normally planning on 3, but I might keep both Eagle's since the jump from really beefy to straight within a speed group is a pretty big jump with nothing between it. But I could also just go up to 9 speed when I need something beefy and so if I want to simplify I might choose to do that.

It's a fairly symmetrical build design: X-OS | OS | straight / slightly US | US down the chart for the different speed groups.

I chose this strategy without much influence, it wasn't because I saw pros have 20+ discs or because people told me to get more discs. It was because I wanted to have a good range of clear stability divisions at each speed and to learn all shot shapes both BH and FH. Later on Ezra A and Holyn both came out with a bag building strategy vid where they described this symmetrical approach. Holyn recommended trying to fill the straight slot first at each speed group so that if it's more or less stable than desired it just fills the neighboring stability slot then you fill in the others.

Of course most average players only throw like two different shots, so there's much less use in having more discs in that case.

The flight chart is weirdly off for the Watt and Hex and is missing the Innova IT.

View attachment 344311
That doesn't look like 14 7+ drivers haha, not as crazy as it sounded.

Still there are no Waves in this bag so its bad. /jk...kinda

That doesn't look like 14 7+ drivers haha, not as crazy as it sounded.

Still there are no Waves in this bag so its bad. /jk...kinda
I said >=7 speed, meaning including 7 speeds and above 7 speeds. Lol, yeah that would be a lot of 7 speeds. I kinda want to build an MVP bag as a second bag for fun. Love the low profile feel of a lot of their discs.

I said >=7 speed, meaning including 7 speeds and above 7 speeds. Lol, yeah that would be a lot of 7 speeds. I kinda want to build an MVP bag as a second bag for fun. Love the low profile feel of a lot of their discs.
I count 11 7 and up, no?

To me its still a lot of discs, and I don't think I see the speed stat on a disc the same way you do. My discs are not neatly arranged like this in their actual performance.

I count 11 7 and up, no?

To me its still a lot of discs, and I don't think I see the speed stat on a disc the same way you do. My discs are not neatly arranged like this in their actual performance.
Yeah but when I first counted I included some dupes and trial discs which I mentioned after, so that's why I said the chart is excluding those.

I kinda want to build an MVP bag as a second bag for fun. Love the low profile feel of a lot of their discs.

Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

I found a beat up crave with no info on it and it was really flippy, kinda like my IT and I kept reaching for it over the IT because it had such a nice low profile feel to it.

I was practicing for a tournament on my one day available that week to practice and the forecast was bad but it often is just a light sprinkle then it's fine, but it started pouring with thunder and lightning and I was already drenched and said, fuck it, gonna finish the last 5 holes. I threw the crave 30 feet up into a tree and spent 10 min in a thunder storm throwing rocks to get it down.

On the next hole I threw it into a bush and it was getting dark and I couldn't find it, :ROFLMAO:

For me I generally have the following in my Zuca compact cart:

In the putter pocket:
4 to 5 putters, with 1 of those being my putting putter, the other 3-4 are approach discs.

In the main compartment:
5 mids (all 5-speed)
5 fairways (6-7 speed)
5 distance drivers (9-speed)

Side pockets:
3 extra putting putters in one, for practice before playing
3 floating approach discs of different stiffness in the other (1 super soft, 1 soft, 1 hard) for utility purposes

Generally I use a small assortment most of the time: 1 putting putter, 1-2 approach discs, 1-2 mids, 3 fairways, 2 distance drivers. So I could put what I need in a little 10-disc lunchbox bag. But I bring that cart everywhere so I just fill it with the slots I like to have. I never get conflicted about what to throw. 🙂

Latest posts