• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask John Houck about Course Design & Development

Furst cut

The thrower will still have to keep the shot pretty close to the fairway to have a chance to use the recovery routes. The recovery route is kind of like being in the furst cut of rough where you still have a chance to strike the ball and also havea reasonable path to the green. If your throw goes a bit too far to use the recovery route you will likely be faced with some form of a pitchout. (sometimes called a thumber)
My idea of a recovery route (back when I called it a get out of jail card)...

I would love to hear you expand on this and even reference a hole or two you think it would be good idea to do it on.

The first holes that come to mind are some of the hard dog leg par 4's. Nevin 1,5 or 17, Nest 16, Web 13. I think John already stated the concept. I am eager to play Rock Ridge to sample those recovery routes, as I don't anticipate staying in the fairways.

Naw, you'll be fine. I played 7 holes yesterday, and using a mid the fairways are ample. now if you get greedy and try to get some more distance you may pay, but so far it plays very fair. So far...:D

Naw, you'll be fine. I played 7 holes yesterday, and using a mid the fairways are ample. now if you get greedy and try to get some more distance you may pay, but so far it plays very fair. So far...:D

It's not the greed, it is that stupid father time who keeps interfering with my accuracy.

Best wishes to everyone out there for a very Merry Christmas. And a very Happy New Year.

Thanks,
John

John,

I am looking to get a course put in a park near my house. The area is all wooded with a few open areas. The course would be sharing property with bike trails that currently run through it. I am trying to keep away from the trails as much as possible and trying to place only tee pads near the trail shooting away from the trail. What I am wondering is for the basket area. How close can I safely place a basket in front of the trail. I was thinking of trying to place the basket at least 100 feet away from the trail. Or would I need to increase the distance from the trail for safety reasons. I would not like to throw towards the trail at all but the trails wind their way back and forth through the wooded area it is hard sometimes not to get close somehow.

Definately a challenge on your hands. I have had to say no to a course in a local park because there was no way, safety wise, to avoid conflict with the bike course. They had so many switchbacks for different levels of skill.

Definately a challenge on your hands. I have had to say no to a course in a local park because there was no way, safety wise, to avoid conflict with the bike course. They had so many switchbacks for different levels of skill.

What park? North Meck? Curiosity killed the cat and all that...

I'm no course guru but I'd say that the length of the hole would determine a safe distance. If it's a shorter hole the likelihood of a disc flying by over a 100' isn't that big, however if it's a long hole where players will be driving high speed discs the likelihood of a disc going 100' past the basket is much higher.

In Va we have one course that has mountain bike trails in close proximity to the course. There really isn't an issue. I was involved in a course proposal on property with three different skill level bike trails. I didn't want any part of it. They offered us another park with even better land for disc golf. Then it got put on hold.

The park I am looking at is Bass River Recreation Area. near allendale Michigan. The eastern portion of the property is not available. we are trying to fit the holes in the 6 miles of bike trails there. I have walked the trails and can see a number of holes where the trails aren't a problem just a few where the basket would come close to the path.

is it possible to put netting up where the possibility of a disc going towards the trail is high?

The park I am looking at is Bass River Recreation Area. near allendale Michigan. The eastern portion of the property is not available. we are trying to fit the holes in the 6 miles of bike trails there. I have walked the trails and can see a number of holes where the trails aren't a problem just a few where the basket would come close to the path.

I still worry about Renny #15. The mountain bike trail is about 45' behind the pin, mayabe a bit less. As the woods thin out more I worry more. I wish that I had at least 100' of buffer. Some drives do the crazy get through all the trees and hit nothing trick. Then disc golf wear and tear thins out the woods a bit and a potential conflict exists that didn't originally. It is important to try to take into account what 5-10 years of people breaking small trees and some dying off will do to your buffer. I didn't do a good job of that on Renny 15 which may necessitate a change at some point.

I recall being at the Tarheel Trailblazers meeting back in the day when we discussed changes to the trail system to accommodate the disc golf course at Rennaisance Park. If I remember correctly, the trails had been in existence seven or eight years at that point. The trails were much improved with the changes, and you barely notice the disc golf course from the seat of a bike, so I'd say a masterful job was done by all. You may be met with a lot of cooperation if you seek it from the mountain bike community. It can and has happened.

I don't think so. since the property is on state owned land i believe that they would keep everything as natural as possible without any additions like netting. due to the local birds possibly getting caught in the netting.

I recall being at the Tarheel Trailblazers meeting back in the day when we discussed changes to the trail system to accommodate the disc golf course at Rennaisance Park. If I remember correctly, the trails had been in existence seven or eight years at that point. The trails were much improved with the changes, and you barely notice the disc golf course from the seat of a bike, so I'd say a masterful job was done by all. You may be met with a lot of cooperation if you seek it from the mountain bike community. It can and has happened.

Ya, Sam and I rerouted about 100' of trail for hole #15. So far no problems, but safety is always an issue and I would hate for a biker to get hit.