• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

no reason to really with most newer molds being produced. You can buy a 150 class or max weight 10 speed disc from MVP without any change to the plastic.

IMO a lot of those air infused discs do not perform or hold up as well as intended to the flight or grade of plastic in which they are made either. Granted it might be the only way they could produce older models like the volt or shock etc in lower weight classes I have no problem that they just don't offer it.

But as a whole new concept for very well flying sub 150 gram discs I think you might be on to something.. say like a disc which ways 110-120 grams but still flies very well due to the gyro effect might be something MVP could capitalize and expect their "blizzard/air" version of whatever to be well executed if that was the case. Most companies just use it to get to the 150 level though into 130gs I think for some blizzard too.

all gyro bag or nothing?

Is it a problem to go between gyro and non-gyro?

I've been doing this lately and there is a subtle difference going from one to the other. Throwing gyro seems to make me focus on slowing down my mechanics whereas non-gyro lets me be a little sloppier. The only real problems I've had with all gyro is I don't have an understable driver yet (Amp is too new and still fights back a bit) and the cold, wet weather makes the Proton/Neutron too slick for me to fan grip, had to put a SSS Magic and a R-Pro Polecat in the bag for my P&A game to return.

used MVP discs are so much better then new ones sometimes. I have some trashed **** you couldn't even pay me to sell. keep those new craves my 6/10 is a winner and priceless.

used MVP discs are so much better then new ones sometimes. I have some trashed **** you couldn't even pay me to sell. keep those new craves my 6/10 is a winner and priceless.

i have a beat neutron ion vector and volt that i wont even throw. they're too damn good. ill pull them out sometime in the future when me and mcbeastmode are tied up at the end of the usdgc, and i dont plan on pullling a willy shustring. tyca.

no reason to really with most newer molds being produced. You can buy a 150 class or max weight 10 speed disc from MVP without any change to the plastic.

IMO a lot of those air infused discs do not perform or hold up as well as intended to the flight or grade of plastic in which they are made either. Granted it might be the only way they could produce older models like the volt or shock etc in lower weight classes I have no problem that they just don't offer it.

But as a whole new concept for very well flying sub 150 gram discs I think you might be on to something.. say like a disc which ways 110-120 grams but still flies very well due to the gyro effect might be something MVP could capitalize and expect their "blizzard/air" version of whatever to be well executed if that was the case. Most companies just use it to get to the 150 level though into 130gs I think for some blizzard too.

What I meant was why not have a bigger difference in weight between the core and the overmold, not to produce 150 class discs. They could make max weight discs with enhanced gyro effects. That'd be neat.

ah I hear you something like a 175g tesla but with a blizzard/air-ish core. not sure its possible currently but sounds legit. who knows how it would fly being overmolds already add a signifigant amount of weight to the rim. give the aerobie ring effect and bomb.

i have a beat neutron ion vector and volt that i wont even throw. they're too damn good. ill pull them out sometime in the future when me and mcbeastmode are tied up at the end of the usdgc, and i dont plan on pullling a willy shustring. tyca.
Ha! I just watched shootmyselfinthefoot miss those putts last night. Not too often you get a second chance, let alone a third

I'm going to have to agree with you there. As fun as it is to follow MVP I still have not seen definitive evidence that the Gyro/overmold does anything. Not to rag on MVP or anything, but you are right that any other disc will do the same thing, if not better in many instances. I have seen people on here say that MVP discs require more snap to achieve their flight, so maybe that's the defining factor.

I think your right about the snap and it comes down to how an individual throws whether they mesh with gyro or not. I see people comment on the lack of glide and I agree MVP discs don't have a ton of glide but the distance achieved with them IS the gyro working. So I think it's glide vs gyro to achieve the same flight path/distance and whatever you prefer. I'm not even a huge fanboy. I only throw the Anode but I have thrown all MVP has to offer and witnessed the difference. Just my 2 cents.

I think the distance comes from speed. Not Innova speed, but sleek low profile discs that get where they are going so fast that glide is not needed. As much.

I think a lot of people (myself included) have become spoiled by Swedish glide, so everything else seems lacking in glide by comparison.

I haven't thrown much new stuff outside of MVP and Swedish stuff in recent months, but I'd be willing to bet MVP is pretty standard in the glide department when compared to Innova, Legacy, or anything else not sprinkled with Scandinavian pixie magic. It also seems mold-dependent: The Impulse, Inertia, Inspire, and Theory all have plenty of glide as understable discs. I wouldn't expect the Tesla, Crave, Clash, etc. to be super glidey because that kind of defeats their purposes.

Crave goes pretty far, not as far as a dx or gstar teebird.

Anode, ion and envy all throw farther than my wizards and kc aviars by a fair margin.

Tesla I can't speak to. It's somewhat overstable and for its stability I feel it has good glide with a good hookup.

I don't think they're all glide machines but I do think their putters especially go farther than any other putters.

I have 4 Teslas. My 167 and 174 Neutron both have quite a bit of glide with a very mild forward fade. My 174 Proton has a bit less glide and more fade. My 157 Proton is somewhere in the middle. I played Milo McIver (one of the MPO Worlds courses although in a different configuration) this last weekend with nothing but MVP/Axiom so the Teslas were my go to distance drivers. I scored +5 which is no worse than most of my rounds there with a mixed Innova/Discraft bag have been. It's a long course, but I didn't find the lack of speed 12-13 drivers or lack of glide really lost me many, if any, strokes. The Teslas glide plenty fine for me.

I think it is worth noting that just about any premium plastic tends to have less glide, particularly the champion-type stuff. My Champion Destroyers are much less glidey than my Star Destroyers. I think MVP plastic, even Neutron, is probably closer to Champion than to Star (Neutron feels half way between JL Champion and Prodigy 400G to me). So that might be what a lot of people see as far as lack of glide.

There's a high demand for knowing how to speak your own language.
Sadly there doesn't seem to be. The way we're going as a society there will be more value in knowing Spanish, Ebonics, and l33tspeak before too long...:wall::gross:

I think it is worth noting that just about any premium plastic tends to have less glide, particularly the champion-type stuff. My Champion Destroyers are much less glidey than my Star Destroyers. I think MVP plastic, even Neutron, is probably closer to Champion than to Star (Neutron feels half way between JL Champion and Prodigy 400G to me). So that might be what a lot of people see as far as lack of glide.
You sir are guilty of posting common sense and reason in an MVP thread. Your post has been reported, and you can expect a suspension of your posting privileges in the near future. :D

In all seriousness though, the plastic does play a part, and this is why I'm so hot to trot for an Electron "Volt-type" mold. My DX Teebirds carry slightly past my 1st Run Neutron Volt, but my Champ Teebird is noticeably shorter. Same mold, different plastic, different distances. I really don't think Gyro is the only culprit in MVP's perceived lack of glide. On the other hand, people love to talk about Troll-orgy's glide. For me one of the major downsides to those discs is how much less predictable they are than Innova, Discraft or MVP. I know they work for some, but glide isn't always a great property.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Anyway, can't wait to see the Atom. The other Protos have a good bit of stability, but I assume the Atom is pretty Magic-like. And in that delicious plastic. Mmmmmm.

I have 2 spare blue prototype atom molds I might part with if anyone wants to find out... just sell me your arm and foot I wont charge the whole leg.

not feel wise at all really and haven't thrown a blue yet but IMO less HSS but more LSS from what appears to be charted. The blue protos also might have a touch more turn then the production runs it sounds like though from Chad's description.

There was a small retool, which was to adjust for the processing parameters to allow more optimal quality. However, in terms of the flight, the blue protos are slightly less stable compared to what the production Atom will be.