• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Average distance variance between putter, mid, fairway and distance driver.

Oh, I know my form's bad. I rarely throw anything faster than a Volt. The Wraith, Insanity, Mamba only get used in certain situations (headwinds, low ceilings, and tailwinds respectively).

Groovy, I'm just on a big kick lately throwing slower speed discs. It's been an eye opening experience for sure. Throwing a speed 6 Leopard 300+ has greatly improved so many facets of my game. The control, less fade, etc, etc, is a game changer. I couldn't throw these slower speed discs that far a year ago, now it's clear why so many adv/pro players take advantage of throwing slower speed discs.

Putters 85-100m
Mids 90-110m
Fairways 100-125m
DD 115-140m

Distance span depends on stability and glide. Last summer measured at flat ground, no wind hyzerflip at 146m.

For me its about 10meters difference from putter-mid and 15m when going up to drivers.

If we're being completely honest I can throw a Comet as far as my drivers. With no wind, no ceiling, and all that nonsense. On a perfect throw.

On regular lines, probably 50 between each class.

Seems to be about right with those differences in distance. I can max a putter (R-Pro Dart) about 150, get my FD's to about 250, give or take 10 feet, but can only max drive a DD to about 300. I got somewhat of a noodle arm for being only 60 years old (plus past sports injuries) so I rely on accuracy with my approach and a decent putting game from 40 feet and in.

What is your rough average difference in throws between putter, mid, fairway and dd? A video a saw seemed to indicate about a 100' total gain in distance from putter to distance driver from ~350' to ~450'. I think mids were ~380' and fairway about ~420'. This about right for most of you, a 100' span?

We will be shooting a video on this very topic in about two weeks. Look for it in mid to late August. Subscribe to Glide Disc Golf on YouTube if you want to know when it comes out.

Avery and Colten will be in Madison for a Discmania Combine event. They (along with a local and maybe Dana Vicich) will be throwing in the video. We will be focusing on putters, mids and fairway drivers.

This is a video we did last year about flight ratings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s_GiNfcBHI

Our next video will have a similar look.

~100' is the gap for me from putter to distance driver, but the gaps between classes aren't very even. I have a bigger gap between mids and fairways. Seems like I need to work on throwing mids and distance drivers.

Similar to my story. Slowest putter at 200-210 when thrown at full power, longest driver 300-310. Mids not all that much more than approach discs/faster putters, then a big gap up when using fairway drivers.

This is distance measured on a flat soccer field with a measuring wheel, no estimates.
Putter = 250-275
Mids = 275-320
Fairway = 300-320
DD = 320-340

Personally, I'd rather throw a Comet or a Cobra than a fairway driver.

I find that the combination of weather conditions and shot shape that a particular hole demands plays more a role on disc type than pure distance. For example, a wide open hole of 300ft. If there is any side or headwind I'll throw an overstable driver on hyzer. But if there is a tail wind I could throw a nice straight putter shot and let it carry. That's not even getting into obstacles and elevation changes....

Another thing, its interesting the way everybody lists out their respective distances per disc type. Is it realistic to list mids from 275-325 and then fairways from 325-375? I think it would make more sense to list them with some overlap if we were trying to paint the real picture. Perhaps it would look more like:
Putters = <275
Mids = 225-325
Fairways = 275-375
DD = 350-450

Eh, maybe that seems a little nit picky. I suppose the point is just to give people an idea of what your respective ranges are for each type of disc, which the normal method achieves.

I'm in a similar range but my game is at a point of constant change right now. For the longest time my putter would go 200', mids 230'ish, FD/DD 250'-280'. But now it's more like putter - 220', mids - 250', FD - 285'-300', DD - 300'-340'.

This should be a percentage difference. Not what you throw feet/meter difference. With internet distance, etc..it doesn't give much to the validity of clubbing up or down.

Once you under the percentages better you range in your shots more effectively. That is the whole concept of golf. Your swing rate stays the same you just adjust the tool accordingly.

This should be a percentage difference. Not what you throw feet/meter difference. With internet distance, etc..it doesn't give much to the validity of clubbing up or down.

Once you under the percentages better you range in your shots more effectively. That is the whole concept of golf. Your swing rate stays the same you just adjust the tool accordingly.

Isn't this pedantic? Aren't percentages based on the raw distance numbers anyway? So practically speaking, wouldn't it be easier to know your actual distance ranges and throw accordingly, rather than have to calculate some percentage while out on the course? Pros talk about using X disc for Y distance range. Are they doing it wrong?

Say there's a 250' shot. Could call for a putter, mid, or even driver depending on conditions, such as ceiling height, elevation, wind, stance/footing required by the lie, etc. I'd rather know what will go 250' on the required line.

Percentages seem more useful for data analysis, but distances seem more useful for actual on-course settings. Using distances doesn't refute the idea of clubbing up or down; it just eliminates the need to calculate a distance based on a percentage.

Latest posts