• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

From about the middle of Dec. to the middle of Jan. I played very little golf due to family vacations and illness...Coming back I was having some serious issues with my Axis. It seems if I don't practice for a bit I start throwing my Axis like a Buzzz and it doesn't work at all. Today I kept throwing until I was getting it and my Axis became magical once again. I wonder how long I'll have to use the Axis to permanently replace the Buzzz in my muscle memory...

It did make me realize that the Axis really is a touch disc, especially when broken in a little and thrown flat. It has more replaced my Fuses than my Buzzzes. With the Anode out I'm left kind of wondering what it would be like if they released a mid that was more hss. I was throwing hard, low, and flat shots with both the Anode and Axis today and the Anodes were noticeably more hss. I want a midrange version of the Anode now...I hope you are reading this Chad, because I didn't feel this way the last time you asked me and I've changed my mind.

Mike C said:
I want one of these understable Axis' everyone else has :lol:

My primary thrower Axis is the very first tester I tossed (green/yellow 179). It's seen a lot of abuse in terms of pine/palm trees and pavement slides. I can't throw it farther than about 250' with a chest high and completely flat release without it turning over, so I'm flipping it up from some hyzer even on 300' shots. It's a sweet disc, you'll know sooner or later(you really need to hit more trees :lol: ) what I'm talking about.

Mike C said:
I want one of these understable Axis' everyone else has :lol:
My experiences with my slightly domey orange Axis are very much aligned with your experiences with Axes.

My experiences with my flat green Axes though are very much aligned with discspeeds experience with Axes.

Yeah my flat green FR's and my flat red eclipse are both more neutral and I use them more than the domey ones, but even so I rip these things with a driver style throw. It's actually one of the first things that sold me on them compared to Comets which they replaced for me. The Axis felt like a disc I could throw more like a driver and not finesse so much but still get true straight flights from.

I've been throwing nothing but my red eclipse Axis lately...maybe I should put my most beat flat green Axis back in the bag and see if it's more like yours Mike. Maybe I've been throwing my eclipse one so long I forgot how understable my more beat ones could fly. Either way I know with my red eclipse I have to give it anny or OAT to get any turn in calm conditions, regardless of the distance we're talking. Bear in mind when I say that, I'm generally throwing everything with a bit of hyzer and watching it flip flat. Maybe it's just the hyzer I put on my throws that makes me see the Axis differently.

Must be a function of grip or something, I can rip Comets without worrying about them, whereas with the flat Axes I need to be more careful. I can rip them full power and they won't turn, but any micro-OAT will flip them over.

I'd throw my Comets at full power too, but they were much easier to turn for me. They seemed much less forgiving with OAT and stuff, which is funny cause it sounds like you're having the opposite experience.

jubuttib said:
Must be a function of grip or something, I can rip Comets without worrying about them, whereas with the flat Axes I need to be more careful. I can rip them full power and they won't turn, but any micro-OAT will flip them over.

This is why I don't like to throw the Axis from the teebox. I almost always seem to get OAT in there and flip them like there is no tomorrow. Hopefully I can correct that and get more use out of my Axis than just as an approach disc.

Mike C said:
I'd throw my Comets at full power too, but they were much easier to turn for me. They seemed much less forgiving with OAT and stuff, which is funny cause it sounds like you're having the opposite experience.
Actually I think both are just about as forgiving or non-forgiving with OAT, but for reasons unknown it's easier for me to throw Comets without OAT.

jubuttib said:
Mike C said:
Actually I think both are just about as forgiving or non-forgiving with OAT, but for reasons unknown it's easier for me to throw Comets without OAT.

I agree with this. My Axis is touchy enough that I feel like if I carry 2 Axis in my bag I start to lose my touch, so I only carry the one. I don't have any issues like this with my Vectors (which is weird because I've traditionally had release issues with big bead discs).

jubuttib said:
Mike C said:

What kind of grip do you throw your mids with?

Got in a handful of tosses with it alongside my straight rocs and some new z buzzz. The Axis flew almost exactly the way my MD2 flew. Slower buzzz like. Glide was nowhere near my rocs, but it was slightly faster and more stable. I was getting similar d with the rocs and axis (330ish tops) and just slightly longer with my buzzz.

Definitely want more tosses, but I think this may just be another MD2. I wanted it to be way less lss and slightly less hss and a TON more glide.

For me the difference between the Axis and MD2 is that the Axis works better than the MD2 when underpowered and the MD2 works better than the Axis when overpowered. Both are straight mids.

i agree with jub.. i like driving with my CMD2 and using the axis on shorter shots and for hitting gaps.

dgdave said:
I wanted it to be way less lss

That's pretty weird, I can hardly imagine a disc with less LSS paired with that HSS... Could it be that you get more nose-down or more spin with the rocs, grip related or whatever?
I gotta say, the axis seemed pretty touchy the first couple of days I had it, but then my problems with it just seemed to disappear, can't really figure out why. Might have something to do with the damn snow, I've got no choice but to focus on throwing smooth these days, try to crush it and I'm on my ass

And FWIW, with the D-MD2 in my bag I don't really have that much need for the Axis on low power shots either. Before those came along I would have been way more excited about the Axis.

jubuttib did you ever throw any flat Vectors? The way you describe using your MD2's sounds identical to how I use my Axis/Vector combo. From what I've read I think the Vectors would be a bit more LSS?

I think I'm going to try out some Discmani molds next time I go disc shopping. The store near me had some S-TD's that felt real nice and grippy. I know they had the MD1 but dunno about the 2.

Latest posts