• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

So I threw a couple green axis this weekend while I was down in charlotte. It was super windy this whole weekend and the only good throws with the axis was with tailwinds or right to left winds. It was not a fan of the wind at all. It was never calm enough for me to get a true feel for the disc which was too bad because I was excited to see how these things flew. The complete lack of wind handling was a little weird though, it seems like it would be able to handle some wind.

I'm probably a little bit of an exception *, but I still am seeing NO flip on 330'+ shots with my either of mine. They go *exactly* how I throw them for 90% of the flight. I'm still getting used to this fact, since I've pretty exclusively thrown roc's in this spot. I need to remind myself that these really don't fade much at the end of their flights unless I throw them with hyzer. I wouldn't say I have a TON of power, but I can get Teebirds to 400' consistently. I'm still not sure if these will find a spot in my bag or not. I'm pretty comfortable with just a Roc/Fuse setup but I'm giving these a try for a while.

*my "problem" this year has been that I throw too cleanly. I was having trouble flipping anything over at all for alot of the summer. Even throwing a Fuse 300+ from a slight hyzer I couldn't get them to turn much at all; beat to hell TL's weren't turning much on 375'+ shots. I've been working on adding some OAT back in slowly, but I still tend to throw SUPER clean when I'm throwing hard.

cmrichar said:
bill said:
Frank Delicious said:
It was not a fan of the wind at all.
that's way true.
With this disc design, we were shooting for a straight/neutral flight, so some winds can get the best of it. I wouldn't classify the Axis having entirely stable/fade characteristics.

no. and i really don't think it's an issue except that i'll miss it when it's windy.

jubuttib said:
Again, exactly why the C-MD2 stays in.

You have officially made me regret selling my MD2's.

To all:

So if the Axis isn't good in the wind, what other neutral or slightly stable mid are you throwing to get a straight point-and-shoot flight that can also take a little wind? Is the Buzzz a good partner? I know the MD2 is. Any other options?

Fightingthetide said:
jubuttib said:
Again, exactly why the C-MD2 stays in.

You have officially made me regret selling my MD2's.

To all:

So if the Axis isn't good in the wind, what other neutral or slightly stable mid are you throwing to get a straight point-and-shoot flight that can also take a little wind? Is the Buzzz a good partner? I know the MD2 is. Any other options?

Actually i use the Z Buzzz for that straight duty and Glo Z Buzzz if needed in the wind or going up to the Gator.

JR said:
Actually i use the Z Buzzz for that straight duty and Glo Z Buzzz if needed in the wind or going up to the Gator.

This.

Buzzz and Gator are both great for straight shots depending on the wind. it can get windy here in iowa especially with a lot of the courses having holes in open areas with nothing to block it.
i have been working with the vector instead of the buzzz lately which also does well in the wind if released with hyzer.
on really windy days or when whenever i get second thoughts after feeling a gust or two at the teepad i will use the gator. its distance is weak compared to vector/buzz but if its windy enough to set those discs aside, im usually more worried about accuracy than distance.

Axis = suuuper straight money touch shots. It parked a shot from the fairway that I have never parked before (100' shot through a tunnel and over a set of trees that are 10' high, all while going up a hill that is 30' high), hit gaps I have trouble hitting (uphill and downhill), and dropped my score by a few strokes today and I shot a 961 rated round.

I wish I got this disc the day it came out. No time for a long review...and I don't feel like saying what others have already said. This disc literally holds the line you put it on, all the way to the ground - more-so than any other disc I have ever thrown.

@cmrichar: What happened between accepting the Axis and the actual production runs? It's approved with a diameter of 21.8cm, same as the Comet, but they're definitely several millimeters smaller than any of my Z or ESP Comets.
IMG_20111007_194506.jpg

jubuttib said:
@cmrichar: What happened between accepting the Axis and the actual production runs? It's approved with a diameter of 21.8cm, same as the Comet, but they're definitely several millimeters smaller than any of my Z or ESP Comets.

You've got to kind of wonder what's going on with a lot of recent measurements (ie. Sword's rim width). It will be great when the PDGA has the resources to actually send someone to measure the MOLDs rather than measuring prototype discs. The specs will never be correct with the current system as plastic is too variable, which basically makes the numbers meaningless as protos/first runs are rarely very representative of what the disc ends up being plastic-wise. Hopefully Chuck Kennedy is reading because I'd like to know his thoughts on this subject. What if the PDGA required companies to send a production disc to get remeasured after approval? At least this would be better data than a prototype. Or maybe some of our friends here with calipers could provide some independent measurements that could factor in to the tech specs somehow. I just would like to see better data.

discspeed said:
You've got to kind of wonder what's going on with a lot of recent measurements (ie. Sword's rim width). It will be great when the PDGA has the resources to actually send someone to measure the MOLDs rather than measuring prototype discs. The specs will never be correct with the current system as plastic is too variable, which basically makes the numbers meaningless as protos/first runs are rarely very representative of what the disc ends up being plastic-wise.
I get your point but still, that difference is HUGE. One thing I did notice though, is that the Vector is 21.7cm, and indeed looks to be a bit (a millimeter or so, like it should be) smaller diameter than the Axis. I compared it to a DX Roc (also 21.7cm), and it's a bit bigger in diameter, but I'd expect a premium plastic Roc to be more or less equal. All of this suggests that it's the Comets that are way too big for the size given in the specs.

jubuttib said:
All of this suggests that it's the Comets that are way too big for the size given in the specs.

I think this is the true culprit. Older Discraft plastic used to shrink a lot more...I remember throwing older Comets and they definitely felt smaller than the newer ones. Even X Comets are noticeably smaller than Z Comets.

Dammit, now I want a real Comet diameter Axis! It'd probably be even more gyroscopic and it'd definitely glide even better.

Interesting. I've always thought comet as a 22cm+ disc, and judging by the pictures it is.

Took a measure of a max weight Z-comet, a fraction over 221mm, this year's max weight ESP matches that exactly. My X is 218mm, but that's most likely just because it's pretty beat and bent because of that.

I wouldn't put it past that PDGA has just failed the measuring, since the ESP and Z are the exact same size, and I suspect the X would be as well if not for the tacoing.

turso said:
I wouldn't put it past that PDGA has just failed the measuring, since the ESP and Z are the exact same size, and I suspect the X would be as well if not for the tacoing.
It was measured in 95 though, they didn't have premium blends then and the baselines were different.

Yeah, and I think we might be out of luck regarding baseline comets from that era. They sure seem to be 221mm nowadays.