• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Axis of Evil

7ontheline said:
Ah ha! Boiling water was the culprit not your homemade disc catcher. I only got a "C" in chemistry but I'm certain that changed the molecular structure or something sciency like that.
My basket is innocent of this, I haven't thrown these in it yet. I threw it two times in a nearby park. It was dark so I didn't notice the missing chunk until after I got home. Must have been a shard of glass or something...
Fightingthetide said:
So what do your C MD2's do that the Axis doesn't, and vice versa?
The Axis powers down better than the C-MD2 and the C-MD2 powers up better than the Axis, and is better in the wind. Power mid vs. finesse mid.

Fightingthetide said:
Thanks jubuttib. Simple enough, but it makes sense.

What is everyone else throwing with their Axis?

I agree with jubuttib. I've tried to make my Axes replace my MD2s, but the C-lines are definitely better for wind and power throws. However the Axis is just awesome at line sculpting and powering down. I don't really use understable mids, but I carry c-md2s, vector, a gator (side arm shots), and now the axis.

I personally don't "power up" anything too well, so the Axis is my main midrange right now. Have a Roc still in the bag for now but I'm planning to replace it with a Vector for headwinds and hopefully put a little more on a FH shot with it.

jubuttib said:
7ontheline said:
Ah ha! Boiling water was the culprit not your homemade disc catcher. I only got a "C" in chemistry but I'm certain that changed the molecular structure or something sciency like that.
My basket is innocent of this, I haven't thrown these in it yet. I threw it two times in a nearby park. It was dark so I didn't notice the missing chunk until after I got home. Must have been a shard of glass or something...
Fightingthetide said:
So what do your C MD2's do that the Axis doesn't, and vice versa?
The Axis powers down better than the C-MD2 and the C-MD2 powers up better than the Axis, and is better in the wind. Power mid vs. finesse mid.

Axis does not need a lot of powering down, but benefits from it. My first impression is that it is a way more safer Comet/Fuse. More HSS forgives a lot of errors better than those other rivals. My first day and the Axis ain't officially in, but they work better than my X Buzzzes, but Z Buzzzes stay for more power handling and fade- I need more experience in the wind with the Axes i got to see if wind duties are still the domain of the Z Buzzz, like i suspect.

JR said:
Axis does not need a lot of powering down, but benefits from it. My first impression is that it is a way more safer Comet/Fuse. More HSS forgives a lot of errors better than those other rivals. My first day and the Axis ain't officially in, but they work better than my X Buzzzes, but Z Buzzzes stay for more power handling and fade- I need more experience in the wind with the Axes i got to see if wind duties are still the domain of the Z Buzzz, like i suspect.
Yep. It doesn't need to be powered down, but when I do it works better than the C-MD2.

If I didn't have the Axis I'd still have a seasoned P-MD2 in that slot, so it's not that it's generated a new slot in my bag. A four mid lineup works for me.

jubuttib said:
Oh poop.
2n71bvn.jpg

sfkxvt.jpg

No idea what it hit, but it had to be seriously sharp.

EDIT: This new overmold (since the Vector, haven't seen it in the textured nor the re-tooled IONs) doesn't seem to be as resistant to chunking as the older, softer and gummier one. I've NEVER seen anything like this, not even close, happening to an ION, and I have a really sharp and edgy basket.

That's pretty crazy...I've never seen anything even close to that happen to any of my Vectors or Ions. Hopefully it was just a freak occurrence.

So I went ahead and got some other colors than the pink ones I already got. These are definitely way more flat, so I'm looking forward to testing them out soon. The pink ones i got are probably still usable as they fit nicely between a vector and a axis (or at least that is what I'm hoping).

I've taken a pic, so that anybody interested can see what a domey axis looks like (Though the pic resolution isn't that great).

foto.JPG

mejlholm said:
So I went ahead and got some other colors than the pink ones I already got. These are definitely way more flat, so I'm looking forward to testing them out soon. The pink ones i got are probably still usable as they fit nicely between a vector and a axis (or at least that is what I'm hoping).

I've taken a pic, so that anybody interested can see what a domey axis looks like (Though the pic resolution isn't that great).

...pic snip...

Looks about like what I have seen between the Pinks and Non-Pinks...

With the pink Axes, how are they more stable? How do they perform on a 300'+ headwind or crosswind shot? Would a pink Axis challenge an overstable mid?

Got out to get a couple tosses in with my new Green and Pink Axisisis. The Pink I got is almost as flat as the Green one but it's 180 and the green is 178. I didn't get many throws in with them but from what I did I really like them. Can't wait to get them out to the field a bit to test them out some more.

LumberJack said:
With the pink Axes, how are they more stable? How do they perform on a 300'+ headwind or crosswind shot? Would a pink Axis challenge an overstable mid?

My pink is slightly domier, and now that I've thrown it a few times I'd say its definitely stable than my flatter orange...but on a 330' + calm shot it still holds lines super well. It's not overstable enough (in my opinion) to be used in an overstable slot.

I had some early release issues today on the course with the Axis. I'm trying to pare my molds and have taken my Orcs and JOKERi out of the bag and didn't throw the Fuse or Comet today so my new Axis got a lot of work. When I took it slow and easy the Axis flew stable but when I really needed a little more low ceiling distance, I let it go early. More practice required. I'm thinking my whippets will handle any shortish overstable duties, my Kenny glow for slightly overstable and wind duty, the Axis for stable, and I'll flick anything I need to go right... or the Comet will be back and the Axis will be up for trade. :|

I've managed to get a couple 178's and a 180 new Axis. Looking forward to giving them some air time this weekend. Also have a new Vector. Looking forward to seeing how more different she compares to my 1st run. I'll be grabbing a few more of the new Proton Ion's here shortly. I'm sure others have said it.... MVP has the most professional looking discs out there. When I'm introducing the sport to new players.. it's always the MVP disc's that I break out. Looking forward to giving these a fair shake.

Tried the chunky green one today. The damage isn't too bad, but noticeable.

EDIT: Also, it's definitely confirmed, the C-MD2 and Axis aren't competing for the same slot. The way they power up, power down and handle wind is just so different. I love having them both and if you told me one had to go it'd be really hard to choose which.

After not getting to play much this week due to a sick child, I just got in a long practice round and some great final testing of my Axis (I'm going with Leopard's spelling). I think I'm a bit beyond my "disc crush" phase at this point and I'm boiling down exactly how the Axis is going to fit into my game/bag. Today I was using my original green 179, a new green 179, and a red/orange 178. All have slight domes.

My original seems to have broken in a little over the last couple of weeks (which has implications on the effect of flash vs. other factors on the initial break-in of premium plastic discs). This is most noticeable on powered down shots which were fading out earlier with the new green Axis. I also noticed that at high speeds my original Axis was flipping up/over more than the new green one. I agree with Jubuttib that the Axis in general does not take power as well as the CMD2 or even the Buzzz. I would notice more difference in the Buzzz's distance when I threw it hard vs. harder than I do with the Axis. When I give it a smooth 85% it goes just about as far as it's going to go when I rip it 100% on the same line. To get more D it needs more height rather than more muscle. It will also handle a little wind fairly well, but I would not trust it on gusty days to hold a line and not flip at the upper half of it's range. My broken in Axis also powers down awesome for approaches. I've never had a disc that held low lines so well regardless of hyzer/flat/anny angle, and this has been very useful in my game already, negotiating ceilings too low for my Ion. It is a disc that does exactly what you tell it to, for better or for worse. If you turn it more than intended there is little in terms of forgiveness as it will hold to the ground.

I also had some interesting results with the Axis in different wind directions today...I was throwing a long anny shot with a right to left wind that was slightly from the rear. I first threw my Fuse, which in normal conditions is much less stable than my Axis. Due to the wind it did not flip as much as I intended from it's slight anhyzer release, rather it just kind of pushed straight on it's angle and dropped. I threw the Axis the same way and it held it's slight anny line much truer rather than getting pushed by the wind and faded out later as well.

The red/orange 178 Axis I have it noticeable more stable/overstable than the new green one I was comparing it to. It is still nowhere near a Vector, but I could not flip it from flat and it was hooking up slightly earlier on the fade. It still holds slight anny angles like the other Axis, rather than fighting them like the Vector does.

In conclusion, I really feel that the Axis is a new flavor of mid. People can compare it to anything they want, but it really does not fly like a Buzzz, Roc, Comet, or any other mid that I've spent much time with on the course. It's useful for a variety of things and I think it is by far MVP's most widely marketable disc yet. I'm not sure it will be as big with power players as the Roc or Buzzz, but I think for the vast majority of players it may work better than those for midrange drives and approaches.

I had a windy round and a half after work today and the Axis didn't work that well, which in seaside area makes it a situational disc :-( Clear Ion worked better in every other wind direction except headwinds, where both got raped. The Ion was way better in winds compared to older Ions.