• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand drive analysis

Akain132

Bogey Member
Hello all I am back for some more tips. I am trying to incorporate my lower body (hips and torso) along with my legs into my throw. I am strong arming my throws and maxing out at 300'. I was throwing my upper body over my spine in my last video I uploaded. I do not know if I am doing that in this one. The drive was pretty good and went about 305'. It was a very windy day today and this throw is against a left to right wind. I was throwing my Valkyrie 310 ft average with my last throw of the day going 320'. I feel like my throw is better since I am trying to use my lower body but I am only getting 10-20' more distance. I am ready for the constructive criticism! Lay it on me! https://youtu.be/P4eKzGIcbQM

I see from the video that I am still reaching the disc around my body and not straight back like I should be. This is a hard one for me to fix because I feel like I am reaching straight back but everytime I watch myself I notice I am bending my arm around my body on my reach back.

I see from the video that I am still reaching the disc around my body and not straight back like I should be. This is a hard one for me to fix because I feel like I am reaching straight back but everytime I watch myself I notice I am bending my arm around my body on my reach back.
Yep, you are rounding between the way your body moves and the disc moves. You want to keep the disc and your front foot moving more along the same line/direction to the target in equal and opposite directions all the way from the start of the backswing to the release. As you stride your front foot forward, your arm/disc should be swinging equally back almost trying to keep the disc in the same exact spot through your transition to the plant/forward swing begins. I like to swing something heavy back to front, so I make sure my body stays to the side more of the swinging momentum and out of the way of the hammer's path. You should swing a disc the same way, but since it doesn't weigh much or dangerous as a hammer, you are not afraid to put yourself into a terrible backswing/overswing position.
read:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91096

I also see a lot of wobble upon my release. Grip lock?
OAT between your disc angle/trajectory and your grip/swing plane. You are throwing the disc with you body in a downward trajectory into the ground a few feet in front you, but you have the disc angled nose up enough to counter that trajectory by air bouncing/braking which causes the disc to lift up which also consequently burns it's thrust. On that hole I would be throwing a hyzer on a slightly upward trajectory with the nose more down.

Check the first image set about orientation.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

I need to be able to throw a long hyzer to have any chance at getting a birdie on that hole. I have done it once with luck and wind help where my disc actually flew straight and hyzered into the wooded area where the basket is. It's a 325' hole for the pro and amateur tee. I have been swinging the hammer but I am having a tough time not bending down on my throws and keeping the disc aligned with my front foot.

Yeah, it's hard to break bad habits and almost relearn to throw a different way. Practice and learn, repeat. You will likely lose distance at first, it's kind of a one step backward, to get two or three steps forward. Practice driving with your putters and midrange discs. It may take several months to get to a point to throw a 325' pure hyzer, but definitely an attainable goal.

I'm going out today and putting in some field work. I'll play 18 too. Took the day off from work to concentrate on disc golf all weekend. Will post updates. Thanks sidewinder

SW22's advice is detailed and bang on. I would just add in simple terms:

-your stance is aligned at your throwing direction...you will need to close the stance slightly (align rear toes through plant foot heel to target, roughly). Just throw in an open area a bunch and let the disc release where it should (adjust from there), on a course it can be tough because you're trying to hit your aim point, no matter if it's at the proper release point relative to your body positioning

-at reachback, it will feel like you are reaching "away" from your body to keep the disc on a line rather than rounding. It may feel like the disc is way out from you to the side, because your body is turned back too, but in video it will look like it is pulled on a straight line to the target.

-a pure hyzer at 325' will take at least 375' line drive power. Throwing a straight to fade OS type disc will likely take 350' power with more neutral discs, to get it out to 325' or so with more stability. So don't be discouraged, it will come. Instant distance rarely happens, but with every change things should feel easier/smoother, and after a few sessions with that form the distance will add together.

Latest posts