• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Waterproofing

I played with a couple of guys that designed a cover for the Fade Tourney bags. It covers the entire bag. They had it so the cover would be secured to the bag. Not sure how that worked. Then they had a seperate cover for the top that allowed the quad connection or shoulder strap connection to poke through. The cover still allowed easy access to the outer pockets.

nohr said:
I ended up going to a car parts store and seeing what kind of line-x stuff they had. They had some $9 spraycan that was supposed to work. They also had like $80 kits you could buy. I told the guy I want to waterproof my disc golf bag better. He suggested using a ruber engine spray. He said it would be lighter and more flexible than the line-x. It was like $4 a can. Once the weather gets nicer then I will experiment and post results.
Good idea, I'm going to spray that stuff on my work boot to make them last longer!

dgdave said:
Shouldn't you try it in bad weather?

Yes but the can says don't apply under 50F. So not having access to a heated garage means wait until it is nice out and do it outside.

I've heard of guys getting good results coating all surfaces of the bag in and out with scotchgard. Haven't tried it myself cause my bag has a line-x bottom from the factory and the extremely rare fully functional rainfly, so everything that should stay dry always does. Phenix bags with the line-x are weatherproofed better than anything else I've seen.

mason65 said:
I was considering using a Line-X type material on the bottom of my bags, but my concern is if water seeps into the bottom of the bag during a wet round, will it dry well since the water can't escape through the bottom of the bag? That Line X tuff doesn't really breathe, does it? I don't want the bottoms of my pockets mildewing over time.
I've had my line-x coated bag since back when the weather was warm but now it's raining all the time. I put wet towels and stuff in the pockets all the time and have spilled beer in the side pockets more than once. I do try and let everything air out to dry every once in a while but I have had no mildew problems despite plenty of moisture and humidity. I'd guess it shouldn't be an issue.

Hehe, somehow missed the discussions in this thread. I'm the guy Chuck was referring to with the DIY Line-X job. I drew inspiration from the Phenix bags after borrowing a friend's and being impressed with the Line-X there. One of the biggest pains, I've found with golfing in wet weather, is how wet your bag gets from sitting on the ground--no matter how much you protect it with the umbrella, water still wicks up from the wet grass and mud. When I tried out my friend's Phenix bag, I was surprised at how much drier everything stayed from the bottom protection. So, I decided to try to do it myself on my Simian:

fronta.jpg

bottoma.jpg

I was planning on posting about this eventually, in a different thread. I still plan to, but there's a quick look at my amateur application. Results so far are good. With the way the Simian is set up, you don't have to worry about your discs getting wet from the bottom, but the pockets stay dry now as well. And of course, there's an extra layer of protection which should only serve to prolong the life of the bag (especially since I'm betting it will wear more quickly having me sitting on it all the time.) An added bonus is that it gives the pockets and bottle holders more rigidity, so the pockets/holders are less prone to swaying around while walking. I was worried that it'd weigh the bag down, but I didn't notice any significant difference.

The stuff I used was Grizzly Grip, a pint is plenty and it should cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 (the shipping cost is pretty high due to regulations on chemicals and such).

Tim, that is awesome. Great idea. Simian with a coated bottom is like you found the holy grail of golf bags.

The extra rigidity you mention is one of the subtle side benefits that really make a difference in the long run. The Phenix bags don't even have a frame but with the line-x there is no need for one.

I just bought a pair of the new fade straps...that pretty much sums everything up that needs to be said about waterproofing.
It goes over the top of your discs and covers the bottom of them. I would set my bag and a huge puddle and not have to worry about anything getting wet at all. plus the straps are rather comfy themselves. When i first got them, they felt like a nice pair of broken in quads. You know the kind you dream about. So for relatively the same price of quads i got really comfy straps and eliminated my worries between my bag and water. I would almost say best dg investment ive made

some call me...tim? said:
Hehe, somehow missed the discussions in this thread. I'm the guy Chuck was referring to with the DIY Line-X job. I drew inspiration from the Phenix bags after borrowing a friend's and being impressed with the Line-X there. One of the biggest pains, I've found with golfing in wet weather, is how wet your bag gets from sitting on the ground--no matter how much you protect it with the umbrella, water still wicks up from the wet grass and mud. When I tried out my friend's Phenix bag, I was surprised at how much drier everything stayed from the bottom protection. So, I decided to try to do it myself on my Simian:

fronta.jpg

bottoma.jpg

I was planning on posting about this eventually, in a different thread. I still plan to, but there's a quick look at my amateur application. Results so far are good. With the way the Simian is set up, you don't have to worry about your discs getting wet from the bottom, but the pockets stay dry now as well. And of course, there's an extra layer of protection which should only serve to prolong the life of the bag (especially since I'm betting it will wear more quickly having me sitting on it all the time.) An added bonus is that it gives the pockets and bottle holders more rigidity, so the pockets/holders are less prone to swaying around while walking. I was worried that it'd weigh the bag down, but I didn't notice any significant difference.

The stuff I used was Grizzly Grip, a pint is plenty and it should cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 (the shipping cost is pretty high due to regulations on chemicals and such).

tim that looks awesome! i recently thought about the bottom of the bag when i played a muddy round and the bottom was pretty moist. i tend to keep extra socks,scorecards and towels in the bottom stash area below the center compartment. when i played the muddy round my score cards were all soaked. what you did seams as if it will cut that problem out completely. quick question:

when you load up the side compartments and put some drinks in the holders. does the grizzly grip have any kind of flexibility with the extra weight or does it stay stiff and seam like it would crack over time? that would be my only concern with doing that. other than that,i think thats a nice idea.i may have to try that on my sim eventually.

some call me...tim? where did you get your supplies and any hints or tricks to share?

That's awesome. The truck vinyl on revos tends to wear right where the frame contacts the ground after a few years, and I had another guy tell me he just shoe goos those spots, but this looks like the way to go.

Coating the bottom of bags is awesome. I have done 2 of my Innova bags and they stay dry on the bottom and now keeps my back dry. I went to Home Depot and bought a can of Plastic Dip for $8 and was able to do 2 bags. It works the same as Line-x and is cheaper. It doesn't crack either.

DaPats, is that the stuff they market for coating plier handles in rubber? I can't believe that would hold up to the type of abuse bag bottoms endure. Can you post some pics, especially the oldest application? I'd look into it myself if I knew it lasts.

For everybody salivating over Tim's Simian, it's no foolin'. That coating is solid. It looks like it was applied by a drunken Picasso wannabe, but who needs aesthetics when you're rolling in a Sherman tank?

I think I'll scotch-guard my Carolina tonight. Couldn't hurt, right?

ChUcK said:
For everybody salivating over Tim's Simian, it's no foolin'. That coating is solid. It looks like it was applied by a drunken Picasso wannabe, but who needs aesthetics when you're rolling in a Sherman tank?

:lol: It's not THAT bad, a couple runs here and there, an errant drip, and some masking tape firmly embedded that's just going to have to wear away over time, but I don't think it's too much of an eyesore. But yeah, probably safe to say I was more channeling Pollock than Monet on that.

As to questions on the flexibility and cracking, I suppose only time will tell, but so far it's not an issue. I know with the professional Line-X jobs on the Phenix bags, it's not a problem, but that's a slightly different compound, and from what I've seen, they put it on a lot thicker than I did.

DaPats said:
Coating the bottom of bags is awesome. I have done 2 of my Innova bags and they stay dry on the bottom and now keeps my back dry. I went to Home Depot and bought a can of Plastic Dip for $8 and was able to do 2 bags. It works the same as Line-x and is cheaper. It doesn't crack either.

BUMP

I'm curious about this PlastiDip also...Think the flexibility could be cool, and it would be cheaper than ordering Grizzly Grip. But does it hold.

Also, I guess Grizzly Grip can only be ordered online? They don't have a 'locate a dealer' link that I can see.

no cracking at all with the Plastic Dip. It just wears down like everything else. I usually do a 10 minute touch up once a year. What is good about the Plastic Dip is the first coat you put on soaks into the fabric. Then you slap on a second coat over that. sometimes you will need a third. Tape up your bag first as to how high you want it from the bottom. Do the bottom first. Use a well ventilaed area too. You will also need 2 cheap brushes that you will throw away. My back still has not been wet in 2 years from putting it down in anything wet. Side note, it wont look perfectly smooth.

Yeah, AFAIK Grizzly Grip is only available online. I was actually first looking at the aerosol bed liner you can pick up from auto parts stores, but read some less than stellar reviews about the stuff (granted, those were from guys actually using it for its intended purpose.) I also figured that the spray process could get rather messy, so wanted to find something I could brush on. I forget how I stumbled on the Grizzly Grip, but it was the one place I found that didn't sell the stuff by the gallon.

I'll say again that I really don't think cracking will be an issue with this stuff. It's hard to describe the texture--it's rubbery yet rigid, kind of like a car tire (it doesn't feel like a tire at all, but that's the closest approximation I can think of).

In any case, I've played in soggy conditions on several occasions since lining the bottom, and it really does make a big difference. Everything stays nice and dry in my pockets and stash area in the Simian, and my back stays drier too. Whether you choose to go with PlastiDip or Grizzly Grip, or some other method, it's a mod I'd recommend to anyone.

Tim, that sim mod looks great! I hate when I'm playing in wet conditions and the shit in the pockets gets wet. I haven't had a problem yet with my sim as I've only used it on frozen precipitation so far, but when this starts melting it's going to be soggy and it'd be nice to keep the pockets and the area under the discs dry as I like to keep clothes, etc. in there.

Did you mask off the feet and the grommets in the cup holders or just dip it right over them?

The first coating of my PlastiDip spray on the bottom of my bag is drying as I type...figure it will take 3-4

now i feel foolish for posting a link to the plastic dip on the other thread...
but i too think it would be better, its pretty tough for tools, as long as it adheres correctly, the fact i've seen it in stores makes it easier on the impulse buying... i may be a sucker for it here soon...

That was the main reason I went for the PlastiDip. I could run 2 minutes down the road to Lowe's and pick up a spray can for $8. It was in the spray paint section, next to the Rustoleum.
The first coat came out good...it really looks like it is going to stick really well, like it is even absorbing slightly into the fabric, just enough. And the spray can went on really easily, just like a thick spray paint. I'd say 1 more coat would be fine, but I'll do two more to be thorough.
There was a bit of a hiccup. I did it outside, then let it sit for an hour, then it started raining a little. So I brought it inside, and left it downstairs. Within 10 minutes, while I was getting ready for bed, I could smell the fumes upstairs...pretty strong and there are warnings that the vapors are harmful. So just a warning to be careful with the fumes is all.
So had to leave it outside under an awning, but it still got splashed on a little. Now it has a nice texture, not sure if that came out naturally or is a nice side effect of the accidental rain drops. Also, the masking tape didn't hold perfectly, so my lines won't be crisp. Will probably retape with something that will adhere better to fabric...maybe some scrap vinyl?
Overall, good product, looks like it will work great.