• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Waterproofing

Let us know how the spray can stuff works after it is done. I have only used the PlastiDip in the tube. It should soak into the fabric good for the first coat. The more you put on the less you will have to worry down the road about touching it up. Barely puts any extra weight onto the bag. Works good for fixing coozies that are starting to have the bottoms blow out too.

It would be more time consuming than tape, but taking an old sheet or Tshirt, cutting some strips, and then pinning it on as your masking agent could work well.

I don't think vinyl will work. When at Lowe's, look for high-tack masking tape, and launder your bag before doing it. There's probably a lot of built up dirt and grease keeping the tape from sticking.

Danforth said:
Whatever happened to good old Scotchguard?

3M decided it hurt the environment, so they axed it. Edit: and Scotchguard doesn't waterproof. Double edit: They reformulated it, but I've heard it doesn't work as well, but I've not used the reformulation.

well, i just plasti dipped mine tonight...
brand new fade gear tourney, hat rack edition...

i used a whole can, coulda put on a second can really, but prob didn't need a whole one either

never really let it dry between coats, just kept pouring it on, spreading round with a foam roller, the masking tape i used sucked, pulled it off 10 min into it, i eyeballed the lines just fine

i will say, it def adds weight, but the bottom feels bullet proof, i'm super stoked

not sure if pics will show much, bag is 2 tone black, and i used black plasti dip, but i'll take some tomorrow and we'll see,

heres the finished product, looks like leather almost, but its surprisingly flexible
qqr5th.jpg

here you can see the 2 diferent coats, first one soaks in perfect, the second coat i put on pretty thick just to use the can up
bhir61.jpg

My computer has been acting up...i'll post pics as soon as I have the time, but man that looks awesome. Your's seems to have come out shinier than mine. Mine is much more matte looking. But I like it. I have the same bag as you (everyone should carry FADE bags!) I actually chose not to spray the drink holders....not really sure why. But the stuff definitely works. Had about 3 rounds using it in the snow/melting snow, and haven't had any water seepage throughout the bag like usual. Didn't notice any weight gain either. I mean if you hold the can it hardly weighs anything. If you think about it, if you sprayed the entire contents we can figure this out to an exact amount...measure the can before spray, and then measure the can after you sprayed it all out onto the bag, the difference being the weight now added to the bag. (obviously weighing the bag itself would work too, but the size of the can makes for easier measure)

appropriately Nelsoned.

I put a double coat of Scotchguard on my Carolina and it worked like a charm- hasn't rained since 8) .

Really though, I played in a couple of light drizzles and it didn't absorb water like it usually does. Who knows how long the coating will last, though. I sprayed the drink holders and bottoms of the side pockets the heaviest- that's where the highest possibility of soaking resides.