• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best College Disc Golf Scene

cquinn171

Par Member
So I am going to be a senior in high school this year and I need to start thinking about where I am going to go to college next year. I am open to going almost anywhere and I am pretty sure I want to do engineering but I am very sure that I want to continue playing disc golf... a lot. Obviously my education is more important than the disc golfing but a great college with a stellar disc golf scene would obviously be a win-win.

My question to all of you is where are some of the best college disc golf scenes? Thanks for making my college search easier!

I guess I can attempt to have you check out WKU here in Bowling Green. I am not a part of the campus disc golf club since I dont have the time, but besides them there is the BG club itself, and we have plenty of courses, and the campus has a short 6 hole pitch n putt.

Iowa State in Ames has a good engineering program, along with two nice 18 hole courses in town. There is a league through summer. a half hour south of us is Des Moines, which has quite a few nice courses.

worth taking a look at, not too far from home.

Virginia Tech is consistently rated in the top 5 for Civil Engineering and Aerospace Engineering. Mechanical Engineering is always in the top 10. The other Engineerings are up there, too.

We have:
1. a super challenging, short, densely wooded course 10 minutes from campus.
2. a less challenging but more well rounded course about 30 minutes away.
3. 2 9 hole pitch 'n' putt courses 45 minutes away.
4. a gorgeous course that is mostly woods but has some legit par 4s and really well designed holes that require good drive placement. This course is 90 minutes away.
5. there are some other courses around
6. Charlotte, NC and all the awesome courses that are there... 2.5 hours away.

We have weekly dubs and monthlies. Dubs are better attended than monthlies.
Not the best scene but if you come here you won't be starved for DG action.

TU in Tulsa is a very good school and the DG in Tulsa is KICK ASS. They just got finished putting in the 15th or so Metro course. Some very easy, beginner friendly courses, some intermediate ones, and some championship caliber stuff. The club there also has it's shit together and the city is very supportive. Tulsa is also a nice city, crime's a bit of an issue, but that's expected in any larger metro.

University of Texas at Austin is at least a good mention. There isn't really any organization to the college disc golf. But we have 20 someodd courses in the metro area (I think its like 24 w/in an hour drive) including Pease Park w/in walking distance of campus. Most courses in Austin are designed by John Houck, so they're stellar. The University is also top notch and most programs are very highly rated (I'm doing photojournalism so I can't say for sure about engineering.) I know a lot of engineering students and they seem happy.

Honestly the MN disc golf scene definitely doesn't suck. There are quite a few very nice courses around the metro area. The obvious benefit of going south would be the weather.

Northern Arizona University.

Situated in Flagstaff AZ at 7000ft. We've got a population of 60k. Seven courses in town. 2 hours down the road you can be in Phoenix wearing shorts in January and playing all the great courses down there.

the University's of Wisconsin are all good choices, along the east coast of wisconsin there are too many beautiful courses to count, and of course theres UW Madison, a great school for engineers, 3 courses in town, and lots more within an hours drive, i'm also becoming a senior, i'm thinking about green bay or oshkosh myself

Santa Cruz, school is pretty good, ratio of girls/guys is very favorable, party scene is POPPING and if i could only play one course for the rest of my life it would be DeLaveaga

Most of the wisconsin schools and st cloud are part of the upper midwest collegiate disc golf assosciation (any college is welcome) that battle each other and have good times. I would have to say that stevens point has the most active and best skilled club in the umcdga but really any of them are acceptable. I know that UW -platteville is good for engineering but they are lacking a disc golf club right now but you could start one up and join us otherwise there is MSOE if you are really rich and smart.

If you're looking for the best overall golf scene, there was a thread last month that listed some of the best disc golf cities to live in. If you're more interested in the best college scene, you can look at the top finishers inthe collegete disc golf championships.

if you are open to anything GA tech is a great engineering school and has alot of courses in the area plus the IDGC is about 2 hours away many atlanta people come for the bimonthly tournys there and like some others have said you can play almost year round but for someone from up north that would be year round plus your in atlanta there is alway something to do you can get into a Braves game for 6 bucks with a student ID

The collegiate disc golf championships made me angry. We sent them email after email and they never replied to us. I bet any wisconsin school would have finished quite well.

University of Alabama at huntsville. There are few better places to get a Aerospace engineering degree. This is located where Werner Von Braun did most of his American rocket studies.

It also has a course on campus as well as 7 different courses within a 30 miunte drive.

Just curious, but what type of engineering do you want to do? That would narrow down the school selection a bit. What type of engineering school are you looking for? Top 10? Top 50?

If you want to do Nuclear, you can go to school at the University of Rolla, MO. It's 5 miles from Vichy, which has a couple of courses. And you're close to both STL and KC, which have a ton of events.

No one has said Illinios yet, so I figure I would at least mention that one. The Frolfing Illini are one of the bigger clubs in the country. Unfortunatly, they don't have a decent course there. And UofI is a fantastic school for engineering. It does get cold there, but you'll learn to play in it (like I did at Iowa).

I am interested in doing either chemical or biomedical engineering. I am also looking to go to a top 25 school and location really doesn't matter because coming from Minnesnowta, I can take the cold. All these suggestions are great though, thanks everyone. What about the Durham, NC area? How is the scene there?

I don't know how they rank for those types of engineering, but U of M would be a natural choice. You'd get in-state tuition at a great engineering school and the highest concentration of disc golf courses in the world. I suppose it depends on how far you want to get away from where you live now, though.

AFAIK, Iowa State doesn't offer biomedical, but their chemical engineering program is good.