• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Form Diagnosis Disc

Best Form Diagnosis Disc?

• Comet

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Pretty much any putter

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Roc

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Maxweight Boss in Champ plastic with pennies glued to it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other (aka post something else since I'm too lazy to think)

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
Putters are best

I chose the putter. For one, no one needs to guy buy a different mid to try and diagnose problems. The putter in your bag is probably sufficient enough. I will exclude many putters from this list including all Lat 64, all Vibrams, the Rhyno, low profile tweeners like the Ringer and Zone...Those putters can be thrown with crappyish form and still mask it. Traditional putters like Aviars, Magnets, APX, etc, all Gateway putters will show your problems, especially when you put some power into them. They will do this moreso than Comets. BTW, I've thrown Comets, I like them, they do diagnose form errors, however, the putter does a better job and necessitates less spending and experimenting.

Stable mids and putters are great for a lot of diagnosis, but there's one very important thing they might not help with: nose angle. They'll still fly well if thrown flat to nose up.

If you want to fix nose angle it will depend on how far you're throwing. If it's less than 320', a Polaris LS or Cheetah will require some nose down to fly well, but still be forgiving enough to make it easy to get that nose angle. If it's much farther than that something like a D Cyclone or DX Gazelle will do the same thing for you without getting squirrley. Once those are flying well stepping up to speed 9-10 discs to really work on getting the nose down will be more helpful.

In general, for form diagnosis what you really need is something that won't fly well for a crappy throw but doesn't require a perfect throw to fly well. You want the quality of the flight to reflect the quality of the throw. There are some discs, mostly understable ones *cough*Sidewinder*cough*, that will fly well for crappy thows and not fly well for really good throws. That makes them, IMO, bad for form diagnosis even though it's easy for a new player to get a long flight.

What about a kite (on a non-windy day of course)

Kites are very understable. Its basically a smaller diameter Stingray and I dont think I ever seen one fade left.

whenever anyone asks for help on how to get more D the first recommendation is to just play several rounds with only a putter. it takes proper technique to really get them out there and while translate into more D with your other discs.

That's what she said, hahahahahahaha.

(I'm easy to entertain)

BrotherDalton?

inappropriate-detention-notice-16157-1245688465-11.jpg

Would a CORE work for this? I have seen and heard several people say to play a round or two with a midrange to improve your distance and or form. How much truth is there really to that. I can understand using a putter, as that will make you use great form in order to get any major distance, and after a full round or more with just a putter, putting your other disc's back in your hand you will have hopefully locked in your form thus allowing for better throws. If I understand this correctly.

I'm a coyote guy as well. The comet is too flippy to really show form, the coyote though will fly on and hold whatever line you put it on. I like it much better and can do most of the same things with it.

I'm a coyote guy as well. The comet is too flippy to really show form, the coyote though will fly on and hold whatever line you put it on. I like it much better and can do most of the same things with it.

the comet isn't flippy :wall: it goes exactly where your throw tells it to, if your throw is dirty it will be flippy.

throwing a comet flat out to 250' isn't hard, and hyzerflipping it to 300' isn't either (especially with the Zs). they only turn over if something in your throw tells them to, unless it's really beat.

Would a CORE work for this?

I recently started playing with my core 90% of my throws, I still use other discs for get out of trouble situations and such but I am finding its making me more accurate and I am really starting to love my core, seems like there inst much I cant do with it. From the tee I am putting it out probably 250 which on most holes is plenty, and if not i get to practice throwing it more =P

I recently started playing with my core 90% of my throws, I still use other discs for get out of trouble situations and such but I am finding its making me more accurate and I am really starting to love my core, seems like there inst much I cant do with it. From the tee I am putting it out probably 250 which on most holes is plenty, and if not i get to practice throwing it more =P

Cool thanks, I have been throwing my core a little more lately, and might try a round with nothing but to see how it goes. Thanks again for the great advice on this site.

Latest posts