• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best learning driver for fieldwork

riverwino

Looking to buy a stack of identical discs to do fieldwork with. I throw a 172g dx teebird about 270' line drive, played less than a year, and want to refine my throw this year (would be very happy hitting 350')

Im leaning toward 165ish DX eagles, but also considered gazelles. Any other suggestions?

I think the DX Gazelle/S Sabre would be a great choice.

I'd say so too. You want something pretty neutral. Teebirds are too stable as well as X mold (concave rim) eagles

Not sure about L mold (straight rim) eagles. They might be too flippy to throw serious drives with.

No, you want to throw whatever you plan on throwing at the course(weight wise at least)

at 270 feet I would say you are JUST under the cusp of TB power in my opinion. I switched to them when I was hitting 300 consistently(based on advice from this site), and I still feel like its a lot of disc for my arm, but still very predictable.

I would suggest Star TL's, those things can bomb - They were noticeably longer than anything else for me when I was throwing 260-280 of golf distance. But if you want to grab a stack of something, star might be a little pricey. So maybe a stack of DX Gazelles or D cyclones. Maybe some S Sabres but I haven't tried any since I was scared of getting crappy domey ones.

This may sound a bit outlandish, but I'd try a few teebirds, eagles or some other neutral driver. Get a varying range of weights too, none lower than 167 or so.

Then get a couple discs (something like a star orc) that is still somewhat out of your power range. Sometimes throwing a few discs that are out of your power range shows you what progress you're making. Plus it makes your field session more interesting.

I'd buy a stack of putters or a stack of 150g dx teebirds.

The putters you will use eventually and can practice driving and putting with. You don't have to throw them far, but when you can get them out to 300', then you'll know you're getting somewhere. They'll be more forgiving for you and you can throw them in more places. You can practice hyzer, anhyzer and straight throws - all of which are useful for driving and approaching.

If you have to throw drivers, then 150g teebirds are something you can use regularly and they'll break into some good drivers on the course. At your distance even a 163g dx teebird is waaay overstable. It'll break in, but that'll take awhile.

The 150g dx teebirds should be able to be thrown over 300', in a straight line without a ton of power and will remain useful even after you can throw over 350'. They're great for accuracy shots when you don't need to power a throw, just flick it and use it's glide.

If you wanted something for full power drives, then a TL or XL should yield some good results. The XL is more understable than the TL, so something in the mid to high 160's for the Xl and something in the low 160's for the TL. Again, they'll be discs you can use over the long haul as well. If you can manage several star or ESP, then they'll last longer and you can break them in a bit for hyzer flipping.

I still recommend the putters though. The most versatile and used disc you can get (driving, putting & approaching).

DX Leopard!

I knew a guy that trained with those and 2 years after starting was 970 and took 5th at Am worlds. He doesn't play much more but he could work a Leopard.

Lately when I practice I grab all my beat up dx plastic. I bring 2 dx gazelles, an elite pro XL, a dx Valk, and a dx Starfire. Surprisingly, the gazelles hit 400+ more often than any of the others for me.

If I were you, I'd kill two birds with one stone. Contact Blake, who still has some of the awesome old-school Cyclones for sale. These are one of the best fairway discs for learning how to throw. They will bomb when thrown correctly and are nice and neutral, and these older ones have a chalky premium plastic with amazing grip.

You can bet that if these are what Blake is throwing, then they are going to epitomize the wisdom of this site and help you learn good form. You'll also be helping out the guy who provides us this site and a huge amount of disc wisdom to new and experienced players alike.

I've been really tempted to pick up the Cyclones, but I've already got a huge stack of Teebirds and just can't justify it. But I've been soooooo tempted. These are awesome discs, and this is probably one of the only chances you'll have to buy a set at this price that are matching and in great shape. And they should last you for the next couple of years -- definitely will last long enough to teach you to appreciate consistent, fairway drivers.

tim said:
I've been really tempted to pick up the Cyclones, but I've already got a huge stack of Teebirds and just can't justify it. But I've been soooooo tempted.
Why not carry both? Teebirds for straight to slight hyzer and the Cyclones for line shaping.

tim said:
If I were you, I'd kill two birds with one stone. Contact Blake, who still has some of the awesome old-school Cyclones for sale. These are one of the best fairway discs for learning how to throw. They will bomb when thrown correctly and are nice and neutral, and these older ones have a chalky premium plastic with amazing grip.

You can bet that if these are what Blake is throwing, then they are going to epitomize the wisdom of this site and help you learn good form. You'll also be helping out the guy who provides us this site and a huge amount of disc wisdom to new and experienced players alike.

I've been really tempted to pick up the Cyclones, but I've already got a huge stack of Teebirds and just can't justify it. But I've been soooooo tempted. These are awesome discs, and this is probably one of the only chances you'll have to buy a set at this price that are matching and in great shape. And they should last you for the next couple of years -- definitely will last long enough to teach you to appreciate consistent, fairway drivers.

Hard to argue with the logic.

It's already been said but I'll cast my vote for Cyclones or Gazelles. Cyclones are probably less forgiving (for better or worse).

tim said:

X2, around the time i first started lurking this site I entirely ripped off Blakes whole setup (wizards,rocs,tp cyclones,dx valks,SOLF,Pred) and rocked it for around 6 to 8 months, i'll be the first to say this setup helped my game a HUGE amount, those molds particularly the cyclones,rocs and DX Valks will teach you a whole lot about throwing correctly

scoot_er said:
DX Leopard!

I knew a guy that trained with those and 2 years after starting was 970 and took 5th at Am worlds. He doesn't play much more but he could work a Leopard.

I kind of like this choice too. I have recommended this disc to some new players and my wife throws max weight DX Leopards. The Star and Champ Leopards are actually kind of beefy for new players, many new players cannot come close to even flattening them from a hyser. The DX will beat in pretty fast for golfing, but would be good for field work.

Along the same lines would be a D XL (which is very similar). The ESP XL is very similar to a Star Leopard.

Actually, a D Cyclone is what I always recommend for new players. That is what I used with when I started back.

I like the Cheetah over the Leopard because it seems like the HSS is more controlable, but it's still eary to turn and you'll learn to play the fade a lot better than you could with a Leopard. They also beat in nice. You can't go wrong with a Cyclone or Gazelle, either. They start off on the beefy side but are awesome for line shaping once they beat in a bit.

garublador said:
I like the Cheetah over the Leopard because it seems like the HSS is more controlable, but it's still eary to turn and you'll learn to play the fade a lot better than you could with a Leopard. They also beat in nice. You can't go wrong with a Cyclone or Gazelle, either. They start off on the beefy side but are awesome for line shaping once they beat in a bit.

The cheetah and DX eagle were my drivers when I first started. Never got used to the leopard. DX cyclone didn't work either. Kept flipping even at low power.

twmccoy said:
garublador said:

The cheetah and DX eagle were my drivers when I first started. Never got used to the leopard. DX cyclone didn't work either. Kept flipping even at low power.
thats why you should have been throwing them, a DX Leo is understandable but a D cyclone even when beat is not hard to throw a hyzer with