• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Best Legacy Putter? Hunter/Clozer/Clutch/Prowler

bobbyfrolfr

There's 4 Legacy putters out now. Gotta admit, I've got at least one of each. I'm curious what the general consensus is for my fellow legacy throwers on which is the best.

I know ol' Stevie Rico loves the clutch. His boy Bobby throws Hunters. All the other legacy pro's play everything in between.

So what do you throw, when, and why?
For me, I like to carry 2 hunters and 2 clozers. I use the clozers for most things (putting, putter drives), but I like the hunters when I need a perfectly straight up shot, or very little fade. I also love them for jump putts. Add a little anyhyzer and they just float straight in the direct you want. The clozer, though, is just nice and stable.

Anyone else's thoughts?

I use hunters now and love them for long putts and approaches, but occasionally the obscene glide gets me in trouble with hitting the belt up top. I'm trying to find a couple protege prowlers to test out but will keep the hunters in the bag for sure

I think you can still throw a poll on this thread. Clutch is the most popular, with the clozer a close second.

My main putter is a Gravity Clutch. Love it. :clap:

Off the tee, I have an ace with an Icon Clutch. Yep, that's my model!

I've used/tried all but the Clozer. Icon Clutch was my initial go-to putter, even before making a full switch to an all-Legacy bag. Picked up an Icon Hunter for those longer outside the circle putts, it doesn't dump down as quickly as the Clutch due to its glide, though sometimes I even miss long putts (70+ feet out) long as it flies so smooth and doesn't have as much fade as Clutch, but at least it gets there with a chance to go in. Most recently I've been putting with a Sparkle Prowler, likely sticking with it. Not sure if its the plastic or the mini-bead, but seem to click better with it. Or maybe its the US Masters stamp vs vanilla production stamp on the Clutch :p .

Is the Clozer noticeably more OS than the other three? Numbers put it a bit more OS, what's the reality? Had one very windy day last weekend, first time I had to try and putt in those kinds of winds with any of my Legacy putters, Prowler was decent, but like with Ghosts, I was kinda missing the OS beef that was my VIP Harp (used it for both headwind putts and upshots/midrange replacement).

I switched from Clutches to Hunters. I get a cleaner "pop" on the release with them it seems. Plus, I didn't really jive with the Clutch for drives whereas I did instantly with the Hunter. So, in trying to consolidate molds, Hunter got the job. 2 Proteges for putting (they take turns and wear in evenly), a red sparkle and white Pinnacle for drives and upshots (Pinnacle is a bit more stable)

Would love to try some of the Legacy putter but not sure where to start. My understanding:

Clutch = magnet clone
Clozer = beaded clutch, more OS
Hunter = similar to Aviar P&A, straight and glidey
Prowler = like a lower-profile wizard

Is that about right? Which is more OS, a Clozer or Prowler?

I'm in the process of switching from DD Prime Judge to Gravity Prowlers.

I do really like the Sparkle Hunters. Feel really nice in the hand and feel great in bad weather.

Clutch hands down, have a few gravity and protege. They fly straight win just a teeny bit of fade from ~35-50 and dead straight in the circle for me. Used to putt magnets and still putt P2s. But the clutch is making a case to become my putting putter. Better hand feel than the magnet and less dump than the p2. I vote clutch.

Picked up an Icon Prowler and a Legend Hunter to start trying some Legacy putters. I would say the Hunter was more stable than I was expecting, and the Prowler was less stable than I was expecting. They are both basically laser straight on drives, with the Hunter a tick slower and floatier.

The Prowler actually showed a bit of HST on drives, like a beat Wizard. I was expecting more stability out of the box, especially in Icon.

They both putt really well. I surprisingly loved putting with the Hunter. I've been using Wizards for so long that I didn't expect to like a beadless putter.

Now I really want to try a Clozer to see if they are more stable, and get a Hunter in Protege or Gravity for putting.

I don't use them much, but I liked the Clutch best for inside-the-circle and windy day putting. I really like Hunters and a driving putter for turnovers or hyzerflips .

I've been putting with Gravity Prowlers. Love the feel and grip especially in cold/wet conditions. Also been using a Sparkle Hunter for upshots and dead straight drives.

I've been using a gravity clutch that I really like. I just got a new prowler, but I have to say, I really don't like the new protege plastic at all. I have a Hunter in the old protege plastic and its awesome, grippy/chalky, but that same super stiff plastic. I want to try the Grippy protege version of the Clutch, but haven't gotten a chance to get my hands on one...

I'm not really sure why but I think I'd prefer the protege version of the clutch over the Gravity plastic. Not entirely sure why though...haha

I putt with gravity prowlers. Loved wizards but I have smaller hands, the prowler feels very very close with a smaller profile and bead. Gravity plastic because I don't like how stiff protege gets in the cold.

I've tried the clutch and it was ok. Haven't tried the Hunter at all but I'm curious and may end up buying one.

Clozers all day for me but i prefer beaded putters. The clutch is a great mold and i bag a Legend for putter drivers and its amazing! Have heard great, great things about the Hunter as well but again i like the bead. I wanted the Prowler to kick the clozers from my bag but it never happened.. they just werent quite as stable as i thought they would be but feel great in the hand... fwiw i carry 3x Protege Clozers for putting and upshots, Icon Clozer for drives and upshots (dont throw it a ton but nice to have the premi plastic option) and then a Legend Clutch for all my putter teeshots.. and tbh i think the Clutch in Legend plastic is one of the best mold/plastic combos i have ever seen in a throwing putter

Last edited:
I switched from Clutches to Hunters. I get a cleaner "pop" on the release with them it seems. Plus, I didn't really jive with the Clutch for drives whereas I did instantly with the Hunter. So, in trying to consolidate molds, Hunter got the job. 2 Proteges for putting (they take turns and wear in evenly), a red sparkle and white Pinnacle for drives and upshots (Pinnacle is a bit more stable)

Haha, as much as I wanted to love them, I had to o back to Clutches. After playing a few windy tourneys this season, I realized I needed to incorporate more spin into my putts to fare better in the wind. Tried this with the Hunter and missed too often. Tried Clutches again and now I'm wondering why I ever switched.

Still don't jive with the Clutch for drives/approaches over 100' so I have kept the Hunters for everything 80-200' range.

Picked up a trio of Clozers, the final Legacy putter I hadn't tried out. Three weeks of using them, went back to Prowler. It just wasn't a putter that worked for my putting style. I tend to go for a soft, floater at middle of the chain, Clutch earlier and then the Prowler both pretty much go where I aim (excluding the mis-releases).

However, Clozer was noticeably more OS than the Prowler (both are listed as Fade 2). Even from 20 feet, where the Prowler barely shows any fade, Clozer would be dumping left and splashing out left-side chains with my normal putts. So I would've needed to put more ooomph into the putt (increasing miss potential) or aim at the right-edge of the chains, again increasing misses.

Also, due to its OS nature even inside the circle, Clozer tended to land on an edge instead of flat, quite often resulting in rolls and longer comeback putts than with Prowler that pretty much lands flat with a similar putting stroke. To say nothing of long (60'+) putts on which I typically use the Hunter.

Ironically, given how OS the Clozer is, if I'm ever tossing a putter off the tee, it'll probably be the Clozer, seemed to get some nice releases with it, at least on field testing, do like the mini-bead on it.

Latest posts