• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best midrange for low lines

Danforth

Eagle Member
OK, with some of the courses that I've visited lately, there's several holes with trees that have low branches. The best line seems to be to throw under the branches to park my drive.

So what discs hug the ground the best? I would mostly be using such a disc for holes < 300'.

I was up late last night with a good buzz thinking that a B-17 might work for these kinds of shots. :lol:

Yes, the Buzzz. For two reasons: It can be thrown hard and low without flipping, and its fast enough to cover 250'+ at the same height it is released at. It also usually gets a nice forward slide once it does hit the ground. The Buzzz was born to fly low.

When I was in clearwater I played a round at Cliff with a dude who apparently set some kind of distance record with the roc in the 90s and he parked a 380 low ceiling hole with a roc. But I would say the buzz for most humans.

another vote for Buzzz, they hug the earth quite nicely.

Aaron_D said:
When I was in clearwater I played a round at Cliff with a dude who apparently set some kind of distance record with the roc in the 90s and he parked a 380 low ceiling hole with a roc. But I would say the buzz for most humans.

Bob Blair?

I'll say that the Comet is not the disc of choice for that shot. I'd say buzz, meteor, etc. Something that handles speed better. There might be some new midranges out that I haven't looked at that would work, but buzz is probably most proven.

Brown curly hair, slightly rotund middle age white dude? Im pretty sure we tied for 1st and lost the ctp in the dubs tourney that day and I lost like 3 of my favorite discs trying to throw from the parking lot to hole 10 across that water. Damn I miss that scene.

Aaron_D said:
Brown curly hair, slightly rotund middle age white dude? Im pretty sure we tied for 1st and lost the ctp in the dubs tourney that day and I lost like 3 of my favorite discs trying to throw from the parking lot to hole 10 across that water. Damn I miss that scene.

That's Bob Blair. He's got some serious snap. I'm pretty sure I met you while you were here that time...

I echo the statements of the buzzz. Rocs need height to perform unfortunately. I might still have a buzzz in my bag if I had to throw a shot like this often.

Cool! I never missed the weekly at Cliff the entire two months I was down there. I met a whole bunch of cool people down there and I cant honestly say every single disc golfer I met and played with went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I truly appreciated it!

But yeah, that roc shot on--I believe it was hole 16--still haunts my dreams.

Aaron_D said:
Cool! I never missed the weekly at Cliff the entire two months I was down there. I met a whole bunch of cool people down there and I cant honestly say every single disc golfer I met and played with went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I truly appreciated it!

But yeah, that roc shot on--I believe it was hole 16--still haunts my dreams.

The funny thing is that Bob Blair hasn't even really played disc golf in the last 10 yrs! He just shows up every now and then and plays doubles while drinking some beer. It was probably hole 16C.

if you can get one of the OOP champ cobras, those things go a LONG ways, much longer than rocs, comparable to buzzes

pdorries said:
if you can get one of the OOP champ cobras, those things go a LONG ways, much longer than rocs, comparable to buzzes

I threw those for a while back in the day. They still needed some more height. Cobras of almost all kinds are longer than Buzzzes with some height.

discspeed said:
pdorries said:

I threw those for a while back in the day. They still needed some more height. Cobras of almost all kinds are longer than Buzzzes with some height.
Truth be told. Very few discs perform in low ceilings like the buzzz. Also, where most discs will climb like crazy when thrown nose up, the buzzz barely climbs at all. This makes it fairly unique.