• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best midrange for low lines

Jeronimo said:
discspeed said:
Jeronimo said:
Core. All day.

Unless its domey(like 90% are)...then its lift city.

Smear campaign fail. You can't hate the Core, cause then you'd hate the Buzzz.

I hate domey Buzzzes too. We have one flat opaque Opto Core at the store that I'm actually going to take for some testing if its still there tomorrow. It is the only truly flat one we have.

Danforth said:
discspeed said:
Jeronimo said:
Core. All day.

Unless its domey(like 90% are)...then its lift city.

I thought dome tended to increase glide?

That's exactly what it does, and it does that by increasing lift. This is nice when there are not strict height requirements, but it can get tricky trying to throw them low and having to judge precisely how much they are going to lift.

It's not a midrange, but the champ leopard is an excellent disc for low ceiling shots at midrange distance. That's precisely the reason why I keep one in my bag at all times.

If I HAD to pick a midrange disc - Buzzz, for sure.

uNicedmeMan said:
Never thrown one but I've read sentinels are good for this as they are a bit speedier than a roc.

Old Sentinels yes...New ones not so much.

If you really want a mid for that the Buzzz is great. A slower, beat fairway driver thrown with fewer steps will work really well, too.

I tend to throw beat up fairway drivers for this type of shot, but I get about the same distance with a Spider as I do a Roc on a slightly lower line. I don't seem to hear much about the Spider though...I don't know if that's because of the Roc overlap or some other reason though.

I play a lot of wooded courses and I used to love the Cro for this shot. then i found the buzzz, it does the low lines without equal. I guess I'm still trying to reconcile my weird crush on the Cro. I would like to see Blakes top mid list again.

One thing I often read in Roc vs Buzzzz threads as a benefit for Rocs is the ability to control their distance using height, and that the Buzzzz often flies by it's intended target because of it's glide. So, it makes sense the Buzzzz would be a good low-ceiling disc. If restricted by height, I throw my Cyclone for midrange distance, or skip a Sentitnel if the ground and line allows.

Jerry R said:
One thing I often read in Roc vs Buzzzz threads as a benefit for Rocs is the ability to control their distance using height, and that the Buzzzz often flies by it's intended target because of it's glide.

Actually, the only time I've ever heard this is from Blake. It is a thrower error and not the fault of a disc if you are throwing by your target. Disc down!

tigel said:

Nobody honestly thinks this that has made comparisons with other mids. It is not a strength of the Roc (unless, as discussed before by Aaron and I, you are Bob Blair :wink: ).

discspeed said:
tigel said:

Nobody honestly thinks this that has made comparisons with other mids. It is not a strength of the Roc (unless, as discussed before by Aaron and I, you are Bob Blair :wink: ).
It's true. Even as a roc thrower I have to concede this to my previous go to midrange, the buzzz.