• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best premium plastic driving putter?

I have to say that I used to use a Rhyno before the VP....similar flight....but shorter. The VP and a Rhyno you can throw a high anny and it will always flex back for ya givn a nice S flight....I can get a VP out another 30-50 feet though so I like it better. Rhynos are good...VPs are better.

How well can you shape lines with a VP? It sounds a little too beefy to be used for anything other than hyzers.

So the consensus is that S Wizards > E Wizards off the tee? I might just dabble in a S Wizard then if that's the case.

BrotherDave said:
How well can you shape lines with a VP? It sounds a little too beefy to be used for anything other than hyzers.

So the consensus is that S Wizards > E Wizards off the tee? I might just dabble in a S Wizard then if that's the case.

Yeah...S is like a million different plastic blends though. I have new S (medium) Voodoos that are primo plastic...I asked Dave Mac about them and he said that all medium S will be like this now. So try to get a modern one. Its stiff, but has a real rubbery, grippy feel. They fly great. I've had Wizards in this plastic as well. They start off overstable, but break into workable form pretty quick and stay that way forever (I never got one beaten in). I've been throwing Voodoos so long now I forgot how those Wizards flew. Perhaps I'll dust em off for comparison soon.

there aren't very many putters that are shapable in flight aside from 2 directions. the ones capable of more than 2 can't usually be thrown full power without getting some inconsistent results, but they tend to do okay being worked on shorter range lines (under 150').

vp's are pretty beefy. they'd be a straight, straight to left, or right to left flyer.

good s wizards > any e wizard i've ever thrown.

i've found decent flying e wizards but they still suffered in a few ways, either from having some odd stability quirks or exaggerating the wizard's weaknesses (short range finesse shots).

there's been bad runs of s wizards before, but as a whole i find most are pretty decent and a handful are great.

I'm a huge fan of the earlier runs of 05, 06 champ rhynos. These are the beefiest of the bunch and really work well for 280' and in hyzers. You throw it to the right of the bucket, give it height, and watch it land and not skip (at the bucket).

Easily shaved strokes off my game having a shot that I don't even have to think about to get next to the basket.

IMO the best putter for driving are not premium plastic, they are baseline or midline plastic so you can beat them to various stages of wear. Those would be Challlenger, Wizard, BB Aviar.

If you need it to be primo plastic it's the VP or the Ridge.

I quit throwing Challengers because they SUCK for driving. They just don't go as far as most the others mentioned and they are not that HSS and have a lot of LSS. Out of all the putters I've ever thrown (Aviars, Wizards, Magnets, Bangers, Challengers, Focus, Warlocks, and Voodoos) the Challenger had the shortest range. I think its something about its really small diameter that just kills the glide.

Jeronimo said:
*cough*grip line Pure*cough*

Yeppers. My beat one is starting to have a very nice late right turn. It makes me look so much better than I am.

Alright, I think I've decided between an S Wizard and a S Voodoo. I like Voodoos better b/c I have teeny hands but the Wiz has a hard rep to ignore. On the other hand, the evo HPP Wizard I got is a floppy turd, but I'm chalking that up to plastic. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought that. Also slightly piqued by an ESP Banger.

i found some Champ Rhynos i LOVE

never seen them before, so possible that it's from a newer run. had them in solid and fly-dyed.

here goes the sexy stuff:

- no doming whatsoever, very very flat
- no dimple whatsoever
- mildly gummy but still firm -- not *stiff* but firm
- molded up pretty much like a $$ pro rhyno

anyways i didn't even have champ rhynos in my bag at the time (throw pros), but i bought 7 twins @ 175g+ golden yella. ON THE SPOT, hoe

I know where there's a redish/orange Gummy pearly champ Rhyno that sounds exactly like you described that one. Firm but not stiff. I can probably pick it up for you.

Frank Delicious said:
Ions are pretty damn nice.

Now that I've tried Ions I must say that they are the best driving putter I've thrown, especially when considering versatility. They work awesome on hyzer, straight, and anhyzer lines. I know its basically a tweaked Voodoo, but they got something very right with the plastic/lower profile/more prominent bead. Those discs really have some magic glide combined with the most perfect stability. They fly straight from about 15mph to as hard as I can throw it.

Danforth said:
Have you ever considered a Champ Aero?
If you talking to me, yeah, I have one but I don't like large diameter discs for the most part.

How do the 2nd run Ions compare to the 1st?

BrotherDave said:
Danforth said:
Have you ever considered a Champ Aero?
If you talking to me, yeah, I have one but I don't like large diameter discs for the most part.

How do the 2nd run Ions compare to the 1st?

much more stable, better wind fighting, little less glide.