• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best premium plastic driving putter?

Frank Delicious said:
BrotherDave said:
Danforth said:
Have you ever considered a Champ Aero?
If you talking to me, yeah, I have one but I don't like large diameter discs for the most part.

How do the 2nd run Ions compare to the 1st?

much more stable, better wind fighting, little less glide.

Do you think that's due to run variation or the max weight compared to 165 first run?

The finest candy putter for driving with??? No idea.

But I do have an equally important question for the crew: What is the best tasting non-alcohol beer?

dgdave said:
Frank Delicious said:
BrotherDave said:
Danforth said:
If you talking to me, yeah, I have one but I don't like large diameter discs for the most part.

Do you think that's due to run variation or the max weight compared to 165 first run?

It could be a little of both. I know that the runs are a little different. For instance, they textured the underside of the core plastic for the second run. Also, they told me that they had some flashing issues on the rubber the first run that obscured the bead a little, and that the second run was much better in this regard. I'm thinking that could make the disc less stable as well. I'm going to double post this on the Ion page so that there is good info there, where it belongs.

discspeed said:
dgdave said:
Frank Delicious said:
BrotherDave said:
Danforth said:

It could be a little of both. I know that the runs are a little different. For instance, they textured the underside of the core plastic for the second run. Also, they told me that they had some flashing issues on the rubber the first run that obscured the bead a little, and that the second run was much better in this regard. I'm thinking that could make the disc less stable as well. I'm going to double post this on the Ion page so that there is good info there, where it belongs.

discpeed is correct. There are some slight differences in ION from the 1st run to the 2nd run. We have added a unique texture around the lower/inside where your fingers grip giving the disc even more added grip for those rainy/snowy days. As for the flashing on the first runs, we have since adjusted on how the mold clamps onto the core, this now creates a more defined small bead prohibiting any flash run over. On top of this, they are all closer to max weight.

For everyones understanding, these are not run variations. All of these were improvements in the molding fixture and are going to remain that way permanently.

(posted on the ION thread: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15566)

Thanks,
Chad

Mark Ellis said:

But I do have an equally important question for the crew: What is the best tasting non-alcohol beer?
pyzamOmgWtf.jpg

Mark Ellis said:

O'Douls makes an Amber. I bet its better than most. I have never had it though.

In all seriousness, premium plastic putters can be very useful for upshots and drives. They are usually more wind resistant and fly farther. I've thrown several with a zero in HSS and very little LSS. The longest putters I've thrown have all been premium. However, for some reason I've never found good premium putters in Gateway's lineup. The best, and longest ones I've used over the years include the Champ BB Aviar, Qmega, ESP Banger GT, and now the Ion.

BrotherDave said:
Mark Ellis said:

pyzamOmgWtf.jpg

I always tell jokes primarily for my own amusement but I'm happy to see someone got it.

I think both the FLX and Cryztal Z Challengers have their merits. The Z ones are plenty overstable for hyzer upshots, but squirrely when thrown hard. The FLX models have more glide than any other Challenger. They can also be thrown quite a ways. I prefer Soft X myself, but that is not a "premium" plastic, it just flies really well through all stages of wear for me. I keep 3 Soft X, and 1 Cryztal Z in the bag for driving. I am also waiting for some heavy Ions, and wait to be impressed.
KP

I hear a lot of people say how much the clear evolution wizards suck becaus they have no glide and are a tick more stable, which is exactly why I like them.

NoMoreTinCup said:
I think both the FLX and Cryztal Z Challengers have their merits. The Z ones are plenty overstable for hyzer upshots, but squirrely when thrown hard. The FLX models have more glide than any other Challenger. They can also be thrown quite a ways. I prefer Soft X myself, but that is not a "premium" plastic, it just flies really well through all stages of wear for me. I keep 3 Soft X, and 1 Cryztal Z in the bag for driving. I am also waiting for some heavy Ions, and wait to be impressed.
KP

I was on a Challenger kick for close to a year at one point. The FLX were strange for me. I would get a perfect shot once, then flip it, then have it stable out. Overall, I thought the FLX were the least stable. The Crystal Z's are pigs....I'll bet you were OATing them when you threw hard, because they are not squirrely if thrown clean. They are effing bricks. Zero glide, dropping like rocks, but great in the wind and for hyzers. The best driving Challengers are the FLX Z ones imo. They had good glide and stability and were the longest Challengers I threw. That's not saying much though, out of all putters I've ever thrown, Challengers are probably the shortest driving-wise. You are probably going to like the Ions...same smooth, low profile feel as a Challenger, and a hell of a lot more glide. They are about the same stability, but with less fade.

Mark Ellis said:
BrotherDave said:
Mark Ellis said:
I always tell jokes primarily for my own amusement but I'm happy to see someone got it.
Invalid1.jpg