• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best sport ever! Mako3, need help choosing one.

flannelking

Bogey Member
Hello everyone. I'm new to the sport and forum and have been playing close to two months. I'm in need of a straight "go to" midrange for throws between 100-200 ft. I'm seriously considering a mako3 but need help figuring out plastic type and weight. I like the feel of the star mako3 but i dont want something that will flop easy. 180 felt heavy in my hand in the store, so im going to check out a 176. 174'felt good. I'm 6 ft, about 215 and throw a forehand probably (thought I was throwing 400 but seems like the baskets used to gauge this are 300) 300 ft. Anything under 250 I use backhand. Thanks for any help!

Best sport ever! Mako3, need help choosing type and weight.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the sport and forum and have been playing close to two months. I'm in need of a straight "go to" midrange for throws between 100-200 ft. I'm seriously considering a mako3 but need help figuring out plastic type and weight. I like the feel of the star mako3 but i dont want something that will flop easy. 180 felt heavy in my hand in the store, so im going to check out a 176. 174'felt good. I'm 6 ft, about 215 and throw a forehand probably (thought I was throwing 400 but seems like the baskets used to gauge this are 300) 300 ft. Anything under 250 I use backhand. Thanks for any help!

To be honest, you should probably use a putter for anything under 150, and especially at 100 feet. If you like the feel of the Mako3, then go for it, but try and throw it clean, so it won't "flop." A disc like the Mako, or any straight stable midrange, should not turn at all for you at 200 feet. It should be nice and straight. Good luck with your field practice, and fine tuning your form.

One thing to keep in mind is that your plastic is probably going to change as your game changes. I have a bunch of 166-168g Rocs because that is what worked for me when I started throwing Rocs. I have a bunch of 172-174g Rocs because that is what worked for me when I felt like I needed a little more beef from my Rocs. Now I throw 177-180g Rocs. The target will move as your game changes. I think it's easier to move from lighter to heavier, so I'd start with lighter.

I really like Champ Mako3's and really hate GStar Mako3's. The GStar one I tried flipped easier and basically drove me nuts. The Champs I have are $. This may be hangover from the Mako; Star Makos are teh suXXsors (too domey) so I pretty much expected to hate the Star Mako3. It might be self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Mako3 has a lot more distance potential than 100'-200'; at the speed you have to throw it to get it to stay at 100' you might get a lot of dump at the end if the shot is in the air. You have to kinda throw it into the ground at 100' to mitigate that, and you can still get a skip depending on the course conditions. A putter is designed to handle that type of throw without dumping hard at the end, so as you develop more as a player you might want to look into that.

If if read correctly you've been playing for just a couple of months.

And you are already concerned about disc selection?

Go with any understable midrange you get your hands on. It doesn't matter. In a few years it will.

And focus on playing not the what brand disc you have!

I appreciate the advice. A few more details:
For me, driving on long tee shots are very difficult. Putting outside of ten ft is also. Of course all green shots other than straight ahead ones are difficult. But the straight green shots seem to be the easiest part of the game (I just put the disc close to my chest, turn and kick a leg up if the shot isn't very short. It seems to go where I want it to most of the time), so.thats why I want to find a straight flying midrange disc. What I have now is a speed 8 and on shorter shots it seems to curve left. So maybe I'll go with a 174 or 176 (?) mako3 instead of a lighter one in case after buying it i decide to use it for over 200 ft shots.

Other than that, I'm thinking about experimenting with an ape for forehand drives, to have some fun while my backhand developed. The closest disc I have now to flopping a minimum amount on forehand drives is a champion groove that I found. I plan to start forehanding with putters and understable discs for practice but id like to have an overstable disc to their some RHFH too. Any opinions on the Innova Ape for me or another FH disc? I gave a boss in champion and gstar, gstarv 12 speed krait and the champion groove. The groove seems too heavy and (not sure if non-blizzard apes come in lighter than the groove I have) and the others dont compensate enough for my technique errors (I'm not the most patient cuz driving is my favorite part of the game).

Halcon, I suck bad with my putter on shots over ten ft. Maybe its partly because of the putter i have cuz i noticed i can throw the speed 8 disc i have with more accuracy under 100 ft.

3putt, maybe I need to I vest in a different putter or learn how to throw one from further out.

In short, my questions are:

What putter should i get for both short putts and 100 ft or so? What I have now is a 10 meter crossfire. It's flight ratings are 1111. It's appears to be either a 186 or 180, probably a 186.

Which weight and plastic type should I get the mako3 in. One suggestion I got was champion.

For RHFH, would the ape be mist likely to give me the most accurate and furthest drives during this learning phase? If so, what weight should I try? I'm guessing champion would be the type to go with. A guy at play it again sports suggested a katana or nuke.

I have Star and GStar Mako3s. If you can find a Star plastic Mako3 that is firm plastic and not too soft or floppy, grab it. The Champion plastic Mako3s will also be more firm than the soft, floppy GStar plastic. As to weight, IMHO that's something of a personal preference, especially in the mids and putters. My Mako3s are 170 and 175, but you might prefer the same, lighter or heavier.

The guy at PIaS is wrong do not buy those discs to start with.

For your putter get something like a SS Wizard, Karbon Touch, D Challenger, DX Aviar or Zero Dagger.

For a driver get a VIP Stag, Star Teebird or something fairly straight. That will help your FH and BH form the most. I started with Grooves and Apes and it's taken me a lot of time to fix my form. Your better of learning the right way the first time.

And you will probably see in my signature that I throw Apes, and I throw them for FH over 400 ft. Until you can think about throwing a 400+ FH don't even look at one.

To be honest, you should probably use a putter for anything under 150, and especially at 100 feet.

I must respectfully raise an objection to this. Some people may prefer to throw mids as upshot discs in the range mentioned. I am one of them: I tried using putters for upshots, but found that I infinitely prefer my Pink Panther (a mid) for the task. It's what works for me, YMMV.

Also, I responded to the original post in the other thread that was posted.

I must respectfully raise an objection to this. Some people may prefer to throw mids as upshot discs in the range mentioned. I am one of them: I tried using putters for upshots, but found that I infinitely prefer my Pink Panther (a mid) for the task. It's what works for me, YMMV.

Also, I responded to the original post in the other thread that was posted.

While I question the validity of this thread, I will gladly respond to this. I do agree with you that everyone should play their game, and I myself have used mids (Axis usually) at 150 feet plenty of times. But like I said, especially at 100 feet, you should grab your putter. Heck, that's a jump putt for a lot of players.

YMMV though. You're absolutely right. :)

In short, my questions are:

What putter should i get for both short putts and 100 ft or so? What I have now is a 10 meter crossfire. It's flight ratings are 1111. It's appears to be either a 186 or 180, probably a 186.

Which weight and plastic type should I get the mako3 in. One suggestion I got was champion.

For RHFH, would the ape be mist likely to give me the most accurate and furthest drives during this learning phase? If so, what weight should I try? I'm guessing champion would be the type to go with. A guy at play it again sports suggested a katana or nuke.
the 10 M Crossfire is...unique? It's not a good representation of what a putter generally will do for you. Aviar/Challenger/Wizard are the usual putter suspects; get them 174-175g in the cheapest plastic they make them in. Throw them around, pick a favorite and roll with it.

I like 177g Champ Mako3's, but that is just me. I'd probably go down as low as 172g on the weight becasue I generally can go that low on a mid and still find the disc useful. Lighter than that and they get pushed around in the wind.

I can't throw an Ape. I can't throw anything faster than a Valkyrie. I have no advice on throwing an Ape other than don't throw the Ape, it's probably too fast for you.

Thanks for the good and thorough advice on the different brands and disc types. Yeah. I've been having the feeling I should Hans my putter over to my kids. Regarding the ape, if it comes in a weight I could throw reasonably, I should give it a try since I would be driving it forehand and not backhand? The groove is a speed 13 and I can keep it straight mist if the time and get it to about 300 or so.

If you want to throw an Ape than yes, get a light one like a 140-150. You could probably throw a Stag or Loepard farther right now though.

Stay away from Grooves, if you like yours I'm so sorry but you will probably never find another one that flies the same.

The Groove in the wing makes them mold up wildly unpredictably.

I've only been playing for 2 months but I know that I am nowhere near the arm speed for an ape. I get my Valkyrie out to about 290, monarch to 310-320 consistently and if I feel really crazy I throw my blizzard wraith out to 340. I know all these should be longer before I think about moving up in speed and really the only reason I can throw the wraith is because it is a lighter blizzard (144g I believe). I would recommend the Valkyrie or monarch if you want something new, but it's completely up to you.

If you learn to throw a big d driver straight at too low of a speed you will create bad form and that can cause major issues in my opinion.

Ok, mike and others, I bought a champion monarch. I think I remember it being a 158. Also picked up a mid 160s champion katana just for the heck of it. I'll see how this goes. Picked up a star mako3 173 and i'm expecting it to become my favorite disc. The only putter I saw at the store was a Aviar with a 1 for fade. I didn't get it cuz it doesn't seem right for a putter to be rated less on fade compared to a mid (mako3)?