• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best way to 'Charge" glow discs?

Willay

So i got the blu-glo Z Crank for Christmas and in the event i actually go to play some night golf im wondering what the best way to get light absorbed to the disc is. I don't wanna use any lamps or flashlights (unless they're LED) because im afraid the heat would deform the disc.

I have no personal experience in the matter but I very strongly doubt that a pocket-size UV flashlight (aka black light) could possibly deform a disc.

I use a portable black light. Just rub it over the disc and go. $7 on Amazon. They make more powerful ones that will charge you for longer, but mine suits me just fine. LED flashlights won't warp your disc either, but they take longer and will blind you.

UV lights are king. It's hard to buy a flashlight anymore that's not LED, and I can't really think of any reason to buy incandescent, unless you have stock in Energizer.

I have a 51 LED UV flashlight I bought on ebay for about 10 bucks. Works great. High powered. You also need to get the glasses to protect your eyes when you use it. 5 bucks to protect your vision. Better safe than sorry.

Keep in mind that not all UV flashlights are created equal. Just because it has a bunch of LED's on the head, it doesn't mean that any of them are charging your disc up efficiently. Without getting all science geeky on this subject, the critical aspect of UV lighting (as it pertains to longevity of glow times) is the nm value (nanometers) associated with the output. Ideally you'd want something between the 365-400 nm range to hold a good charge and be effective enough to not have to continually glow your disc up.

IMO, an LED and a coin battery is the best way to go. You can charge your glow disc up with a standard UV or regular LED flashlight and always know that if/when the glow fades you've got the LED as a fallback plan.

I have a 51 LED UV flashlight I bought on ebay for about 10 bucks. Works great. High powered. You also need to get the glasses to protect your eyes when you use it. 5 bucks to protect your vision. Better safe than sorry.

sunglasses at night

lulz. Close your eyes if your little infant retinas can't handle the 3 seconds it takes to charge.

Thanks everyone! how long do you let it charge for?

It literally takes a few seconds.

Or - you could pay the 7.50 from the US SELLER in the link I posted.

I think what he is asking is, is there really a way to blast your discs so that you could play several throws with that one initial charge? I think not.

If not, (i.e. you charge the disc before each throw) then it gets much simple, just go with what's effective enough and easy to carry. I used to have a keychain 1-LED UV light and even that was enough. No need to lug around a massive lightsaber or a UV light from which you need to protect yourself (I actually laughed aloud at that) if the difference to a "normal" light is negligible.

UV light is more effective than normal. It also will not mess your night vision. If you have to do it with a normal light, just do it behind your back and dont look at it if you want to keep seeing in the dark.

I think some people build some light rigs inside the bag to keep a constant charging atmosphere in there, so as to avoid the few seconds of charging before each throw, but that sounds like too much work. No need to overcomplicate things.

i used a regular ass led and it wasnt gettin my disc buck. so your saying i need a uv led to start the party?

i tried that with my buzz but to not much success. and when i use a led flashlight on it, it doesnt stay lit for more than like a minute at most.

From another thread:

Tied for this would also be the Glow Wizard I bought for this glow round I played. This is solely because it says "glows for 12 hours" on the disc and it is literally the worst glow plastic I have ever seen. Flagrant false advertising, I say.

Huh. 12 hours yeah right? Like you could charge them at home and then play 4-5 rounds of glow disc golf without charging...

Any of the small, inexpensive UV flashlights will work fine.
You just hit it for a second or two, before every throw.

As for the gateway superglow stuff, I have found you need to take a little longer to charge them (I have a voodoo that is real slow/hard to charge) but once you get it going it is super bright, and lasts a long time.
It's almost too bright to putt with, because you can see the basket.

Latest posts