• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Bag Respect

lumping people into groups is pretty stupid as well.

i carry a grip bag, i had the money and its comfortable. i play some courses that take 3+ hours to play. that means lots of water, snacks, beer, etc.

just because someone is carrying a big bag doesnt mean they are carrying a ton of discs.

and i also have no problem with people who only carry a few discs. im sure you would get the same from many others who carry "big bags".

Plus, I don't think you have to be at some elite level to carry a large bag, either. Maybe you just like throwing different stuff all the time. We are all out here to throw discs at baskets, not bring each other down.

I carry my full Innova Tourney bag because I'm F***ing awesome. Kidding. I do carry it with me because it was a gift and I can't afford another disc, ha!

When I'm at an unfamiliar course I tend to watch the teenagers who only throw an Eagle and a Putter. They usually have all the sweet lines and are probably throwing a 54 or under.

I use a ton of plastic and carry a LARGE bag. But that's just because I have a small.... :)

One of my favourite disc golf memories was when I went out with a group of friends who had never played before. We were all using ultimate discs. A guy with a huge bag made fun of us. I challenged him to a game with my ultimate disc, and won by 2 throws.

Although it was a short course with tight lines and a few downhills. Ultimate discs are great for those- you can throw them laser straight with hardly any speed.

Sounds pretty amateur to judge a discer by the # of discs they carry. I will say I see more amateurs with waaaaaaay too many discs than I do pro discers.

And good lord, who the hell just walks up and laughs at people they don't know? WTF?

The same holds true in any sport. I show up fishing with my fly rod and I get a different response from other fishers than I do with a cheap spin caster with a can of worms. Or when I bring my custom clubs to a bolf course as opposed to a mixed bag of garage sale specials.

I think the mentality is that if people have invested the money in a big bag they must be passionate about the sport, and hopefully if they dropped all that money on a big bag full of discs then they play a lot and have somewhat of a clue what they are doing.

Food for thought. Two of my four aces were hit when I wasn't carrying a bag. I've found that when I'm bagless, I can play the home course about 5-10 minutes faster than with one.

Some days, I think the casuals with their two or three discs have it figured out.

I got away from ball golf because of the good ol' boy country club snobs. unfortunately, there are plenty of the same sort of people playing disc golf. it's not fun when even people in your own club are elitist enough to segregate some players from others regardless of skill, just because you aren't in a certain clique.

note: I carry a grip bag, have a decent rating, and have served on the club executive board for 2 years. I get segregated out for other reasons. I'm not the one trying to exclude (consciously or not) anyone from playing and learning our wonderful sport.

Sounds pretty amateur to judge a discer by the # of discs they carry. I will say I see more amateurs with waaaaaaay too many discs than I do pro discers.

And good lord, who the hell just walks up and laughs at people they don't know? WTF?

For realz. Thats grounds for getting your ass kicked.

The only way you play in my group is if you have 20 plus discs, a 100 plus dollar bag and a stool for your bag and a stool for you...

Carrying a big bag will wear on my shoulder messing with my throws, so I don't carry a big bag. I normally only carry 3 discs on the course because well....I don't need more than that for most courses I am playing. But when the time calls for it I will bring my old backpack, it will hold plenty of discs (10+) and water.

But yes...big bag respect! Its everywhere! I notice it when I do not carry my backpack I use for my discs. But whatever, it has never been a problem yet, I am waiting to see how many people bring their BIG BAGS to the ace race I am about to do this Saturday even though you can only use the discs provided lol.

I've played my share of two disc rounds like most have.

However, I more often than not will carry the tourney bag, even if I feel its obvious overkill since I do run into the downsides of the 2 disc round when it comes to stuff.

If I'm carrying two discs only, where do I put my stuff like the keys, phone, wallet if I don't like throwing with full pockets? (this stuff drives me nuts)

Where do I carry the small basic first aid kit with tab benadryl that might save another golfers life if they run into a bees nest and are not aware of their reaction level?

and where do I carry all the fliers for the upcoming monthly, the registration forms, new member forms, etc.. the screw drivers and tools for course repairs... you know... the standard stuff?

**But seriously... consider the small first aid kit! and include a pair of latex gloves, they don't take up much room... you don't know where all these golfers have been... or maybe you do.

I don't think there's anything wrong with judging another player by their appearance as long as you realize your assumptions could be wrong. From my experience, new or non-serious players don't carry many discs, and experienced, serious players tend to carry more discs. Not true all the time but most of the time. So if I get paired up with a guy at doubles that only carries two discs, I'm not feeling too good about my chances until he proves me wrong by rocking those two discs. I've carried a small bag before simply because I know people will have lower expectations of my play which can take a little pressure off.

I do actually carry a small first aid kit and 3 ply toilet paper. Cause you never know when that long night of drinking is going to make for a very uncomfortable exit the next day.

One of my friends that got 3rd in the MN Am Champs uses a VERY old Jansport backpack. Here in MN, regardless of what back you have, if you're waiting behind someone on a tee for more than 2 holes you get let through. Even if I feel somewhat hurried I'll wait around at the teebox a little longer to let the people behind me play through.

not going to lie. i have a big bag and most 3rd graders could beat me on the course. i just like the options i have with a big bag that i can put anything in.

You know it's funny I've noticed this too when I carry just a few discs around (usually on a course that I don't need my whole bag). People will treat me differently than if I'm carrying my full bag. I also notice that when I wear my Innova collard shirt (which I try to do when I'm traveling) that people always think I'm a pro.

Also when I went out for a tourny in the mountains where we had to hike in 4 miles with all of our camping gear too, I only brought 3 discs, I think next time though I might bring 2 more that I could have used.

It's weird, though. There are times, when I get looked at like I'm invading my home course because I'm carrying my mojo. I carry food and other stuff with me, because often times, there are waits on tees, and even if not, since I like to play by myself sometimes, I throw multiples if there's no one behind me. I just like to have my stuff with me. And not to mention the endurance practice. :)

Either way, I get looked at like a chump because I'm not carrying a 6 pack in my bag. I actually got made fun of for carrying powerade in my drink holders. :\

It goes both ways. And it reminds me every time that I can't wait for my home course to go pay to play. :(

Latest posts