• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdie Bag, DD Dirt Bag, Chuckers chalk, Or a Bowling Grip Powder Bag

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
curious to hear opinions in all these grip aids. Considering the DD Dirt Bag but not entirely sure

I use a refillable chalk ball that is kept inside of a climbing bag. The bag keeps it relatively clean, if you apply too much though, a bunch will come off your hand and into the air. I also have a birdie bag, but that's even messier and requires you to keep it in a plastic bag. I also think the chalk ball gives me better grip.

It may just be my baseball background but I prefer a normal rosin bag you can find at any sporting goods store.

I use a birdie bag and I keep it in a plastic flyfishing lure box that I bought. It's completely sealed and the lid has a snap closure that makes it really easy to use. You can close it and lock the lid down one handed.

I made my own grip bag using ground up corn. Works really well for me. I also have a regular birdie bag and have tried rosin. Rosin is too sticky, I prefer the slippery feel of the wood dust in a birdie bag, or now, the dust and powder from my corn bag. For storage, I use a small bag I made, similar to what rock climbers keep their chalk in to hang on the side of my bag.

Used to use a birdie bag, and then i got some rosen baggs 2/$5 on ebay. They're pretty much the exact same thing. I too have a small climbing bag hooked to my bag to hold it in. I've seen people put baking soda/Baby power/Saw dust in an old sock...pretty much the same thing.

+3 for Rosin, cheap and readily available. Some say there is too much grip but I have never felt that way. It gets mostly used during hot rounds or when the dew is out in the morning. One thing I like to do is rub the bag along the rim of the disc but I feel this could be against the rules?

my dd dirt bag works like a charm:thmbup:

would be interested in making my own in the future though.

anyone have more details

+3 for Rosin, cheap and readily available. Some say there is too much grip but I have never felt that way. It gets mostly used during hot rounds or when the dew is out in the morning. One thing I like to do is rub the bag along the rim of the disc but I feel this could be against the rules?

I've do it too and wondered if during a sanctioned round it would be illegal.

Do people use dirt/birdie bags in rain?

I'm having huge difficulties with the grip in the rain and been wondering if a birdie bag would help. I do carry a bunch of towels with me, but there's always some moisture that makes the discs slippery for me.

If you do use one in the rain, how do you keep it dry? Put it in the bag (and a minigrip bag) after each shot?

Birdie bags work in the rain but if you use it in the rain you probably wont get to use the same one again. The problem with the birdie bag is once they have gotten soaked the stuff inside starts to clump up, and doesn't really work well again. I do not know if the dirtbag has the same problem. I used to bowl in leagues and went to my local bowling alley a couple years ago and picked up a Brunswick grip ball. It looks like a large hacky sack, with a microfiber covering. Some have rosin in them and others have a hand conditioner. Whenever it gets wet I just throw it on the dashboard for a couple days and then it is as good as new.

Last edited:
mtGNhjoqVvYHAei5CcQaX3Q.jpg

Apparently you can also buy these..

mYmMMxFHzgqHWXRWc5SgC4w.jpg

Not a fan myself, but they also had a duck dynasty rosin bag, lol.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_nkw=bowling+grip+sack&_pgn=2&_skc=192&rt=nc

Last edited:
I'm interested in this as I'm now in Oregon. I used chuckers chalk yesterday, and it made my hand extremely dry (I typically have crusty man hands) but this sucked all the moisture out! And I think it worked well. The stuff is a little pricey, I would like a bag if possible, but if it just clumps up with wetness that probably won't be good?

Never used a rosin bag, wouldn't those be way too sticky? And leave a dark brown buildup potentially on your hand and discs, like a baseball bat?

What about wide receiver football gloves or something extremely thin and grippy?

Never used a rosin bag, wouldn't those be way too sticky? And leave a dark brown buildup potentially on your hand and discs, like a baseball bat?

What about wide receiver football gloves or something extremely thin and grippy?

You're thinking pine tar, the stuff they put on their batter's gloves and on the bat handle. Rosin (powdered) is the stuff you see in the white bag behind the pitcher's mound.

I use this stuff called Liquid Grip at the gym. Its better than any chalk/rosin bag I've ever used. Havent used it for disc, but I suspect it would work great.

I have tried them all this summer due to the high humidity keeping me nice and sweaty. baseball rosin bag was a little too sticky for me. birdie bags worked good until they get wet. the dynamic dirt bag is perfect, soak it in water and let it dry out and its good as new. the dirtbag seems to dry hands without giving extra grip. they come in a re sealable bag. bought mine from k. waring, good price and quick shipping. please don't be ''that guy'' with a glove on.

I use birdie bag and just keep it in a snack sized ziploc bag that i seal after each use to keep it dry in the rain. worked during a tournament last weekend.

I use this stuff called Liquid Grip at the gym. Its better than any chalk/rosin bag I've ever used. Havent used it for disc, but I suspect it would work great.

My hands are so sweaty in the summer it's almost an X-Men power. A friend bought that for me, but it didn't work most of time for me. Only if they were completely dry before application did it work....short term. I tried to tough it out for a round only to decide I needed a little boost half way through, it only made my hands slicker.

I have tried them all this summer due to the high humidity keeping me nice and sweaty. baseball rosin bag was a little too sticky for me. birdie bags worked good until they get wet. the dynamic dirt bag is perfect, soak it in water and let it dry out and its good as new. the dirtbag seems to dry hands without giving extra grip. they come in a re sealable bag. bought mine from k. waring, good price and quick shipping. please don't be ''that guy'' with a glove on.

Haha. Disc golf in Japan is more of an old person sport and there are more than one or two guys that gear up for a round with gloves on. I've driving gloves, tight fitting cotton gardening gloves, latex gloves, but my personal fav is the billiards glove with the middle two fingers exposed.

The hackysack bowling grip chalk is the best I've used, but like stated before, it's done for if it gets wet.

I used a DD Dirt bag until I lost it a couple weeks ago. Replaced it with a birdie bag. While I liked the fact that a DD bag would dry out if it got wet, I feel like the birdie bag is superior in therms of drying/grip ability. My hands felt a bit too chalky with the dd bag, compared to the birdie bag.

I mainly use the alcohol based silica Prince tennis grip gel. It's great in the 100*+ summer heat when I can't dry my hands fast enough or when it's raining.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417464783589.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417464783589.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 31