• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cali rules

craftsman

* Ace Member *
Could anyone help me clarify the rules for playing Cali? I think I know but I'd rather be sure. Were playing one extra dive or approach shot. Not aloud within circle. Am I incorrect or missing anything? Also, does anyone know why it's called playing Cali?

You may take a second shot on any shot; including the putt. In fact, the putt is often the best choice. Do not know why it's called Cali. Perhaps because this was one of the first states representing disc; and they came up with the first good way to play with odd number of individuals.

Wolf is a very good five person game.... Order of players is selected through flip. Order remains the same throughout round. Player #1 tees first on first hole. He then picks a "partner" as the others throw. He must choose a partner after the player drives; but, before next player throws. Original driver (in this case, player #1), and his "pick" play the remainder of the hole together; against the other three. Second hole, player #2 leads off, with player #1 throwing last. If no one is chosen, the last player to throw becomes partner by default. Scoring is determined by "skins" won. I would recommend playing for a quarter or less, per skin; or wolf can get quite expensive. Driving player may also call wolf; after his initial drive; however, ties go to the rest of the field; and therefore wolf is really never called; unless an ace is hit. Perhaps a park job on a very long hole; if one knew the rest of the group were noodle arms!!

im from socal, the birthplace of the sport, and ive never heard of "cali rules". i think its an east coast thing. :\

Thanks Paul. Although that's not what I wanted to hear. My group usually consists of three rec level players. Just recently my brother and my friends cousin started to play so we played dubs; me and my bro, friend and his cuz, and our third friend, also a cuz, played Cali. Though in singles I would have ran away with it, him playing Cali gave him a major advantage and I barely took the win.
Was hoping you'd say only on drives. I want to find a fun way to play faster then singles with the five of us. Wolf sound fun but I know one of the guys wouldn't even play for pennies.

counts for the ace money in the leagues i play in

+1

Also, we have 2 cali rules here, depending on what course we're playing, and what level player is odd one out.

1.) 1 extra shot per hole, any shot you choose. Cali aces count toward ace pool.

2.) 1 extra shot per lie, just as if you were your own doubles partner. Must pay double, cali aces count for ace pool.

Generally, option 1 is used, but sometimes option 2 is given for a lower level player on a tougher course.

I played in a league at an out of town course a few weekend ago. They allowed their Cali each week to play double throws on ALL SHOTS!!! I had never seen this before. For players who have played quite a number of years; this would be a distinct advantage. In this case, player was am. However, he used it well enough to get to a pay out position. League play was big enough to pay to third.

Craftsman; when I was playing against noobies; I would sometimes allow them to play doubles against me!!! Very tough to win, but provides a challenge. You could alter it; and make yourself Cali; against doubles teams. One of the best ways to do it; leagues, or otherwise, is to pair top player with lowest; second best with second worst, on down the line, and allow Cali to be middle player. It is still a distinct disadvantage to be playing Cali, other teams; get many more shots per round.

If cali rules are anything like a california roll, I am sure they are nothing to write home about.

(From 'cali')

+1

Also, we have 2 cali rules here, depending on what course we're playing, and what level player is odd one out.

1.) 1 extra shot per hole, any shot you choose. Cali aces count toward ace pool.

2.) 1 extra shot per lie, just as if you were your own doubles partner. Must pay double, cali aces count for ace pool.

Generally, option 1 is used, but sometimes option 2 is given for a lower level player on a tougher course.

I like this. Maybe we could set a ratings cutoff, like 935 and below gets option #2. Otherwise you get option #1.

Doesn't really matter much what you call it, or which format you use. Just make sure to clarify BEFORE the first throw and everything should be OK.

I've always heard the odd player called "Cali" (maybe honoring the West Coast roots?), and I've participated in many different areas. We play 1 extra on any shot (1 per each hole), second shot ACE doesn't pay ACE $$$, and paid ACES split with partner.

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY...

Yea that's how we tried to pair em but in reality it's just three of us playing while the two new guys try to learn and have a good time.( My brother did help on one hole- his first birdie!) So playing Cali is a major advantage. We are really just trying to find a fun way to speed up play with our new larger then normal group.
The three of us aren't great by any means but we stay on the fairway and have a fair chance of birding most holes. The new guys are very new. My brother is going the more conservative route with a one step, bent elbow technique, and use of slow discs. He's having normal problems of pulling his arm in an arch, using his whole body, timing, weight forward without leaning, and ofcourse timing. His drives are probally around 150-175.(probally farther, I just quote conservative) The other new guy is going for the traditional approach an incorrect x step and oat to achieve distance. He throws a lil further but with more chuck&luck. They both stink at putting

Next time you play, try Cali Singles. Everyone gets an extra shot per hole. It will take a little longer probably, but you'll certainly get more practice. A nice change of pace for fun rounds.

I've always heard the odd man out referred to as the "wild". He gets one extra shot per hole.

You may take a second shot on any shot; including the putt. In fact, the putt is often the best choice. Do not know why it's called Cali. Perhaps because this was one of the first states representing disc; and they came up with the first good way to play with odd number of individuals.

Wolf is a very good five person game.... Order of players is selected through flip. Order remains the same throughout round. Player #1 tees first on first hole. He then picks a "partner" as the others throw. He must choose a partner after the player drives; but, before next player throws. Original driver (in this case, player #1), and his "pick" play the remainder of the hole together; against the other three. Second hole, player #2 leads off, with player #1 throwing last. If no one is chosen, the last player to throw becomes partner by default. Scoring is determined by "skins" won. I would recommend playing for a quarter or less, per skin; or wolf can get quite expensive. Driving player may also call wolf; after his initial drive; however, ties go to the rest of the field; and therefore wolf is really never called; unless an ace is hit. Perhaps a park job on a very long hole; if one knew the rest of the group were noodle arms!!

holy cow!

way too complex for me Paul...

round these parts, we just flip discs before the first tee and match up accordingly. last one out plays cali, and gets one extra of whichever shot they choose per hole.

(i always thought the cali player got an extra shot for EVERY throw, until some older players pointed out the correct format)

# 1 Rule to Cali Rules is... Don't call it Cali.
People in Cali don't call it Cali... they call it the Odd-Man.

I've heard Hans and other crap too... but, just call it the Odd-Man. That's what they are, the odd person who didn't get a team mate because there was an odd number of people.
DSCJNKY

There is no one established set of rules for dealing with Cali players. Clubs in different part of the country have different rules and variations.

The way it works around here is...

1. Cali player pays once, but if he/she cashes gets paid like a team.
2. Cali player gets one extra shot per hole, not every shot.
3. If Cali player gets an ace on their second shot, they get to card a '1', but do NOT get the ace fund money.