• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cali rules

The term Cali probably comes from ball golf's Callaway system for dealing with players that don't have a handicap. Link to explanation.

btw, it's not named for the equipment company, but the local pro who invented it.

Oh, even worse. Lionel Calloway was the local pro at Pinehurst Country Club (which is in MJ's back yard).

Around these parts we call the odd man out in doubles -- Odd Man. Duh.
or sometimes we call it " shooting Clint". Apparently we needed to give the "second" player a name. Clint seems to work.

Yes, One extra shot per hole.

I typically suggest 2 shots per hole if the hole is a true par 4. It's only fair.

Ron

Last edited:
I don't think there's any doubt that "shooting Clint" refers to Clint Eastwood's loner persona. And as he lives in Carmel, was their mayor and is forever attached to Hollywood, it seems possible someone coined it as a riff on "Cali".
With teemkey's info on post #45, I think at one time "Cali" must have been spelled "Cally".

Ooops, time to go disc!

Doctor Jones!

# 1 Rule to Cali Rules is... Don't call it Cali.
People in Cali don't call it Cali... they call it the Odd-Man.

I've heard Hans and other crap too... but, just call it the Odd-Man. That's what they are, the odd person who didn't get a team mate because there was an odd number of people.
DSCJNKY
'Hans' as in Hans Solo, get it? :D

# 1 Rule to Cali Rules is... Don't call it Cali.
People in Cali don't call it Cali... they call it the Odd-Man.

I've heard Hans and other crap too... but, just call it the Odd-Man. That's what they are, the odd person who didn't get a team mate because there was an odd number of people.
DSCJNKY

we call it cali...but i see what you're saying. people from cali don't call cali cali, either.

Did you ever stop to think that if that many people call it "Cali," maybe the one who doesn't call it Cali is The Odd Man? :p Besides, isn't this a lot like "Is it it Disc Golf, Frisbee Golf, frolf?" rolleyes: Who cares what you call it? Agree to the rules up front, then get out and play.

Statistically speaking, playing one Mulligan per hole (which is how it's usually played around here) puts the the odd/cali player at a disadvantage compared to two player teams, which essentially get one Mulligan per lie.
Play it how you will, but them's the facts.

Last edited:
Here in NOVA we call the odd man the "schizo". The schizo generally gets one extra throw per hole unless he/she wants to pay in double and get one extra shot for every lie

Here in NOVA we call the odd man the "schizo". The schizo generally gets one extra throw per hole unless he/she wants to pay in double and get one extra shot for every lie

i'm also familiar with the 'schizo' term, and double pay-in for two throws from every lie as well.

I was trying to find rules and this thread came up on google, so I brought it back to life. I'm happy to see the argument over the name continuing as if it hadn't gone dead for 3 years!

In Michigan everyone calls it Cali and spells it Cali, and if you play two shots from every lie, well then that's called "Hollywood." :popcorn: